• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halloween: which is the real costume?

Mr. Cage

Halloween costumes are fun but has the potential to become extremely intoxicating and addictive. It also has the potential to depress as the night wears on and the make-up wears off. I think this is an accurate statement. Accurate for myself because i know in order for me to contribute to society effectively the next day, it has to come off. Unless of course im looking forward to canvas padded walls sistered with 4 point restraints.

I find myself looking at the clock more and more toward the end of the night. The later it gets the more my shoulders sink. Why is this do you think? Is it because of the costume itself or is it that i have to force myself to put one on the morning after?

Truly sad to think of this holiday as only one day we can be something else entirely without the guilt of pretentiousness. But is it really? Or are we on the left celebrating it 365? Finally, a holiday that doesn't involve the common holiday stresses such as gifting, cooking, inlaws, flying roast turkeys or kissing a grenade under the booby trapped missle toe. Lets not forget that mouth breathing uncle chasing your daughter around.

Halloween finally comes and we eagerly choose our costume to a T. If most of us chose our everyday costumes with such diligence we would go far. But its not like this. Dressing for the day requires many exhales in the mirror. We dont often applaud ourselves every morning in the mirror when we look good. But come halloween when we are bloody, torn clothed and bruised we jump for joy.

My question is this: what are you going to be this halloween? Why? And have you chosen this costume before? How much does this costume project what you really are?

Then ill ask which is the real costume? Todays or the 31st's?

Erebus

Diavolo%20ON-170%20px.jpg

I'll be wearing this mask with a Victorian shirt, black pants and boots and a hooded trenchcoat.

I tend to try and blend the elegant and the grotesque in my costumes. I like things like vampires, demons and ghosts that combine horror with style. I figured a Renaissance-esque devil would nicely fit in with my obssession with opposites.
I've always loved fancy dress and Halloween in particular, since I've always felt that a mask says more about a person than their true face.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I find myself looking at the clock more and more toward the end of the night. The later it gets the more my shoulders sink. Why is this do you think? Is it because of the costume itself or is it that i have to force myself to put one on the morning after?
Probably the later. If you like the aspect of getting dressed up for the occasion, I wouldn't think it should be a cause of the depression.

Myself, I haven't dressed up for Halloween in a long time. But since I don't go to/get invited to any costume parties, am too old for trick-or-treating and don't have any kids to take, and actually come to think about it I haven't done anything special for Halloween at all for several years.

Tol

Tol
I've an old Sigil of Baphomet, some worthy robes, and a determination.

It's an amusing boost to blend in such themes. But living in a small town, I regret that simple dualisms can play out rather poorly.

Boo! :tribal:

Last edited:

Kenaz

I Am
This is such an interesting point! On Halloween we choose our costume, allowing our unique Self to show, a living art piece of our unique Being. As you pointed out, and I agree, our real costume is what we feel we must wear each day so we do not receive ridicule from others. Halloween gives us that freedom that we (well, most of us) seek, freedom from the usual enslavement of fear of peer criticism and in general, external influences. Leaving us free to better express our internal true Self.

Mr. Cage

This is such an interesting point! On Halloween we choose our costume, allowing our unique Self to show, a living art piece of our unique Being. As you pointed out, and I agree, our real costume is what we feel we must wear each day so we do not receive ridicule from others. Halloween gives us that freedom that we (well, most of us) seek, freedom from the usual enslavement of fear of peer criticism and in general, external influences. Leaving us free to better express our internal true Self.

Thank you for your gracious reply. Intriuging huh?

I often sit and look around, people watching, and noticing how uncomfortable most are in their daily clothes. Pulling up their panty hose, adjusting their tucked in shirt, catching a reflection from a parked cars window to toss their hair. Some people just look miserable and i wonder what is it thery would rather be wearing. These are the same people who, during Halloween, that have the biggest smile on their face.

I think it was LaVey who once said "only fools mistake fashion for style and style for taste"

blackout

Violet.
What's funny is, I am SO ME all year round
the only other thing I usually do is stick a purple and black witches hat on my head
for fun on Halloween.

Actually Cage and Shyanekh have given me an idea.

Just got another one.:bkcat:

:D

blackout

Violet.
When I first read this post
I thought that not only do most people
not stylize in a richly personal manner
in their daily life,
but then they often wear a pre-packaged Halloween costume as well.

Probably the people who are more original in appearance
the rest of the year,
are the ones who are also more expressive of "themSelves" on Halloween.

Tol

Tol

It's an amusing boost to blend in such themes. But living in a small town, I regret that simple dualisms can play out rather poorly.
On further thought I'll just go downtown wearing whatever feels comfortable and check out the freak shows. The cheap costume Baphomet doesn't honor me, and wearing the Pentagram of Set medallion wouldn't honor it. I'm not feeling as Inspired this year as I have in past, but usually that changes as the spirit draws nearer.

Mr. Cage

I
Boo! :tribal:

:)May i inquire on where and how small this town is? There are polar differences in our culture depending where we live. Those who may live on a bible belt have challenges that test our mettle. Remember Tol, reality is negotiable.

Tol

Tol
:)May i inquire on where and how small this town is? There are polar differences in our culture depending where we live. Those who may live on a bible belt have challenges that test our mettle. Remember Tol, reality is negotiable.

Yes, it's a small city in the American 'bible belt', and it takes very little effort to distinguish one's self from the crowd, Halloween or not. You could just turn a T-Shirt inside out and it would give people something to talk about...

It strains heavily under its own weight of convention and tradition. It is good for LBM, at least, and there are of course Factors to ensure Balance.

As you mention, it does test my mettle, but I've had about enough of this particular test! Negotiating my way to another proximity next year.