• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hail To The God Of Suffering

Etritonakin

We can only reach our true potential by ceasing to do that which causes suffering.Physical pain ideally signals that something is not as it should be physically. Psychological suffering is similar.

If we did not experience the pain as we do, things would still be not as they should be.

There is everything right with obeying laws which avoid suffering and cause happiness -but they must be universally obeyed to have their full effect.

Vishvavajra

If we aren't afraid of pain accept it then we can do whatever we want to do.We can reach our true potential by not bending our knees to anyone or anything.
...except your impulses, over which you exercise no conscious control. Why bend your knee to them?

Just doing whatever you want isn't freedom; it's just a different kind of slavery (to a different master).

JoStories

If we aren't afraid of pain accept it then we can do whatever we want to do.We can reach our true potential by not bending our knees to anyone or anything.
I disagree. We reach our strongest potential, IMO, by humbling ourselves. IMO, what you describe is hedonism. I found that I reached my greatest point in my career by putting myself outside of the equation and trying to be the voice of my patients. It was only them that matters to me.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

It's not only for fear of pain that motivates me to do things, or solely keeps me from doing other things.

That's just sometimes a single aspect, one of many, in my motivations. Suffering does not define me; I'm actually well on the way out of a real period of depression.

As for "true potential", that doesn't particularly interest me.

So screw the God of Suffering.