• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HAF Dharma Ambassador Training

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Namaste All,

Today I attended a special program at my local temple sponsored by the Hindu American Foundation. It's a program designed to help members of the Hindu community learn how to speak about our faith in a clear and concise way so that we can take control of the narrative and information that is spread about us. The program is completed in 4 parts. I participated in parts 1 & 2 today along with about 20 other participants. Part 1 was a basic introduction and discussion about the challenges of communicating about Hinduism, and the importance for improving our explanation and speaking skills. The second part broke down the very basics of Hinduism and then the presenter explored different ways of talking about controversial topics like caste and the Aryan Invasion Myth. At the end participants each took turns presenting one of five topic to the group for 2-5 minutes. I chose Moksha and I think I did okay.

Pictures and more updates to come.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
That's fantastic Fireside! Are you going to join the other parts? :)

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
That's fantastic Fireside! Are you going to join the other parts? :)

Absolutely!

At the end of the training, participants who wish to be DA are entered into a database for HAF and can be assigned to speaking opportunities in the area at schools and universities.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Here are some pictures from the event. Guess which one I am! ;)

20108448_890576464414914_3393226263352108075_n.jpg
20108502_890576781081549_4298705533642648440_n.jpg
20106348_890577607748133_5811335935973717786_n.jpg

Kapalika

Premium Member
I love the HAF, they do good work. I didn't even realize they had a program like this. It does kinda suck how many misconceptions there are about Hinduism in America, I really hope efforts like this help American Hindus help change that some.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Today was part two (and the final half) of the DA training. We were asked to give a 15-25 minute presentation on any one of 5 topics given. I chose to do my talk on the Hindu Concept of God. Most people from the first session couldn't make the in person session this time so they will be doing a phone conference style. So today it was me and 3 other participants. After our talks we were given "mock" questions and feedback which was great.

The next step is getting the official certification to be eligible as a HAF sponsored speaker. The details for this will be emailed to participants this week, so I'll give another update when that happens.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Today was part two (and the final half) of the DA training. We were asked to give a 15-25 minute presentation on any one of 5 topics given. I chose to do my talk on the Hindu Concept of God. Most people from the first session couldn't make the in person session this time so they will be doing a phone conference style. So today it was me and 3 other participants. After our talks we were given "mock" questions and feedback which was great.

The next step is getting the official certification to be eligible as a HAF sponsored speaker. The details for this will be emailed to participants this week, so I'll give another update when that happens.
Any interesting new insights that's shareable?

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Any interesting new insights that's shareable?

Not in terms of the actual content covered. The course is aimed at building confident speakers and it addresses how to deal with difficult theological questions from an audience. The goal is to start taking an active role in our narrative, rather then letting scholars and tv personalities get the final say. Also, it helps people learn how to discuss different topics depending on the audience. (Adults, teens, other religions etc). The program is brand new and being tested around the country so I imagine refinements will be made as time goes on.

I think it's definitely helped me articulate the basics beliefs of Hinduism in a more coherent and brief way and getting the chance to hear fellow Hindus discuss the same topics from their own perspective has been really valuable too.

I'm still a nervous wreck when I stand up in front of people and speak, but that's just my nature for now. Hopefully with experience it will get easier.