• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greetings and questions from Oz

Wombat

Hi all, I’m Rod (or Wombat) and new to the board/s.

My first question (if I may) is to enquire about protocol.

Does Welcome to Country and acknowledgement of traditional owners and Elders apply on the Net?

(It is the custom here in Australia among the Indigenous community to pay respect to owners&Elders prior to any discussion...this custom is now taken up at most public functions (local, State and Federal) and I have even noticed kids (indigenous and non) doing so in Tele-conferencing link ups.)

My greeting is from Gunditjmaracountry, and the traditional owners- The Kirrae Whurrong... and I wish to convey the best wishes of the friends and family of Elder Henry ‘Banjo’ Clarke.

Hope my introduction will see me safe ;-)

Rod.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Respect for elders is always good... I would assume that holds for the net as well. :D

Sadly, the last elder I knew recently passed... I've yet to encounter an elder on-line.

My best to you, the friends and family of Elder Henry 'Banjo' Clarke and to the Kirrae Whurrong Nation.

wa:do

Wombat

Respect for elders is always good... I would assume that holds for the net as well. :D

Sadly, the last elder I knew recently passed... I've yet to encounter an elder on-line.

My best to you, the friends and family of Elder Henry 'Banjo' Clarke and to the Kirrae Whurrong Nation.

Ninna Marni Painted Wolf
(Are you well? A Greeting in the Kaurna Aboriginal Language)
Thank you for your reply.
After 30+ ‘views’ I was beginning to think no one was home ;-)
I am sad to hear of the passing of your Elder...it leaves a huge hole in any community.
Elder Banjo Clarke has been gone for some years now...but I/we still all identify as ‘his mob’.
Please permit me to introduce you to some small glimpse of the man and his life-
Lore of the Land - Indigenous Cultures

www.wisdommanbook.com/

Message Stick - Banjo Clarke

www2.abc.net.au/message/telegraph/forum/...

While the Elders may not usually go on line...they can be remembered and celebrated on line...and hopefully their wisdom conveyed.
And perhaps the next generation of Elders can also be seen and celebrated? ;-)

[youtube]O-MucVWo-Pw[/youtube]
YouTube - Zorba the Greek Yolngu style

My interest and passion is cross cultural fusion and exchange...hope you enjoy the clip.

All the best.

Rod

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Love the video!

While the Elders may not usually go on line...they can be remembered and celebrated on line...and hopefully their wisdom conveyed.
And perhaps the next generation of Elders can also be seen and celebrated? ;-)
Ah you got me there! :D

ps.. sorry this took so long, I thought I answered it already but I must not have hit post. :eek:

Wombat

Love the video!

Glad you enjoyed it.
These young people come from an unimaginably remote community in the far north of Oz. In the wet season it is impossible to reach even by plane. Since this Vid hit Youtube the ‘Chooky Dancers’ have been invited to festivals across Australia and Greece. Australia has a huge Greek population and they have gone wild for these kids.
For me the best part was seeing the lads at the Airport...stepping out all done up in their best gear- Jeans, Miller shirts, cowboy boots, Stetsons and dark sunglasses. Lookout girls, lookout world! ;-)

I have a couple of questions if you have the time Painted Wolf.

First up I would like to ask about cultural/religious/spiritual appropriation from Native American traditions. Here in Oz they have clamped down on the rip off merchants stealing Indigenous designs and printing them on everything from Tshirts to Tea towels...but we seem to be up to our Aholes in wannabie New Age ‘Shaman’ healers and snake oil salesmen...and no legal protection for indigenous tradition.
Is this a problem in the US? Years ago I read the Carlos Castanenda (?spelling) books and got the impression he made a ****load of money ripping off Pueblo Indian traditions...but I haven’t heard of other cases. Is it still going on?....and what can be done?
My other question relates to the Baha’i faith and Indigenous communities. I had heard that the Baha’is had been embraced/accepted among a number of communities...especially the Hopi.
Any word on this and how things panned out for them?
Hope you can find time to satisfy my curiosity.
In the meantime...hope you also enjoy-
[youtube]x8-YMpYbRqY[/youtube]
YouTube - Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu - Wiyathul

Wombat

wow, thank you for posting this wonderful talent

Such a beautiful voice... gives me shivers. :clap

Glad you liked it Pegg.
Garrumul was in the US a little while back...all set to do Letterman/Oprah etc to promote his tour. But feeling a bit unwell he pulled the plug on all interviews. He is notoriously shy, totally disinterested in fame and well known for sitting completely silent throughout interviews...if the questions don’t interest him or he can’t relate he simply says nothing.
I love his music and his style ;-)
All the best.
Rod.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Glad you liked it Pegg.
Garrumul was in the US a little while back...all set to do Letterman/Oprah etc to promote his tour. But feeling a bit unwell he pulled the plug on all interviews. He is notoriously shy, totally disinterested in fame and well known for sitting completely silent throughout interviews...if the questions don’t interest him or he can’t relate he simply says nothing.
I love his music and his style ;-)
All the best.
Rod.

a humble spirit is a great spirit in the eyes of our maker.

I went and bought his cd today...absolutely love it.