• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greek frogs

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm trying out Ancient Greek this year I'm uni. Apparently the sound a frog makes in Ancient Greek is βρεκεκεκέξ or brekekekéx. Now, I know that in different languages animal sounds have different words, but this straight up sounds unrealistic. Particularly that "x" at the end of the word. Is anyone familiar with any frogs that actually sound like this?

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'm trying out Ancient Greek this year I'm uni. Apparently the sound a frog makes in Ancient Greek is βρεκεκεκέξ or brekekekéx. Now, I know that in different languages animal sounds have different words, but this straight up sounds unrealistic. Particularly that "x" at the end of the word. Is anyone familiar with any frogs that actually sound like this?
Ask Aristophanes. :D

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It's possible the ξ may represent the slight glottal stop when they stop ribbitting.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I used to be bilingual in English and modern Greek but lost the ability to speak modern Greek when my parents divorced and I moved to England with my mother

Have tried learning it again but with no success :(

I don't know how different modern and ancient Greek are

@Harel13 How are you finding it?

Brian2

Veteran Member

When we first moved to the house we are in I was hearing what sounded like someone hitting a tennis balled until the middle of the night. It turned out to be a frog.
They have strange calls.
Maybe the 3rd frog in this medley of frogs is what one you are after.

amorphous_constellation

I seem to recall hearing something like that, from a frog at some point, but I can't find a sample. I thought maybe it was the american bullfrog. In any case, those animals do seem to make a wide variety of staccato-like sounds

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member

When we first moved to the house we are in I was hearing what sounded like someone hitting a tennis balled until the middle of the night. It turned out to be a frog.
They have strange calls.
Maybe the 3rd frog in this medley of frogs is what one you are after.
Huh, who knew there were so many types of frog sounds. Thanks! There are a few that sound similar, like the fifth one.