• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grand theft morality

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Oh sure it is, that's why there are more than a thousand criminals in prison all in relation to harming another human, and politics that separate us and often making us biased, and religion that will tell us when and where it is OK to kill man, and many other ways that no human on earth, has never had empathy for all men, just the ones he likes.

If the world loses rulers, we will all become cannibals.

and this means that they necessarily don't have empathy?

Alceste

Vagabond
How is your reasoning sound compared to his? Only to you it is more sound, to him he disagrees.

You see morals are based on reason, but no reasoning is more reasonable than another.

Not true. Reasoning isn't "anything goes". There are commonly accepted standards. "Because I felt like it" would not qualify, for example. That's the opposite of reasoning - it's reactionary.

Anyway, pretending your own subjective morality is objective does not solve the problems you think there are with subjective morality, because people believe in different "objective moralities." You still need reason to separate the wheat from the chaff.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Are our theological views responsible for the actions of those we instruct and debate?

So I've spent the last month trying to convince a friend of mine that morality is purely subjective and I've finally started getting somewhere with him.... Well today I found out that he just got arrested for grand theft auto and trying to sell stolen merchandise. This isn't normal for him. Hmmm I hope it isn't the morality conversation that did it. Maybe I should have emphasized the reasons to maintain morality even when you know it has nothing to do with God or spirituality. You have to use maturity to determine morality. For instance, even though I'm no longer a Christian I still refuse to lie yet no morality hold me from lying. I refuse to lie because it benefits me. The more people who know that I'm honest and trustworthy the easier it is to make my way through life and the more benefits ill receive from said popular opinion. Without God to govern morality you must govern it with maturity and intellect. Hmm, I really hope I'm not partially responsible for his actions.
Can you explain how Hitler's actions can be shown to be actually wrong not just unpopular without God? Dawkin's to his credit said it could not be done. Do you actually believe that tortureing children isn't actually wrong it has just been determined to be something most people do not prefer? That is all that can be known without God.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Here in the US violent crimes are like a few hundred out of a 100,000. Hardly seems significant but it adds up especially when people can't ever get out of the judicial system once they are in. So you'll want to count the 99% of the US population that doesn't commit violent crimes first.

It sure harms them in someway, otherwise it wouldn't be illegal.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
and this means that they necessarily don't have empathy?

They obviously don't care about what others feel.

Not true. Reasoning isn't "anything goes". There are commonly accepted standards. "Because I felt like it" would not qualify, for example. That's the opposite of reasoning - it's reactionary.

There are reasons beyond "Because I felt like it"

Why throw rocks at the kid with glasses and tight pants? He's a nerd.

Why go beyond the speed limit? It is fun (which is a reason, for the same reason you even want to stay alive, because it's fun to live)

Anyway, pretending your own subjective morality is objective does not solve the problems you think there are with subjective morality, because people believe in different "objective moralities." You still need reason to separate the wheat from the chaff.

LOL? I never said my morality was objective, in fact, you can go against my moral code, I obviously don't care, even if you kill my loved ones. Nothing that matters to me matters to the other guy anyway. That is why nothing matters.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
They obviously don't care about what others feel.

There are reasons beyond "Because I felt like it"

Why throw rocks at the kid with glasses and tight pants? He's a nerd.

Why go beyond the speed limit? It is fun (which is a reason, for the same reason you even want to stay alive, because it's fun to live)

LOL? I never said my morality was objective, in fact, you can go against my moral code, I obviously don't care, even if you kill my loved ones. Nothing that matters to me matters to the other guy anyway. That is why nothing matters.
So if I think the Sun does not matter is it therefore incapable of burning me? If you believe that morality does not matter does that mean if the Bible is true that you will not be held accountable?