• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GPS tracking for children

kashmir

I think that considering how many kids go missing every year...

AMBER Alert

The Facts
A child goes missing in the United States every 40 seconds.
The first 3 hours are the most crucial for the safe return of a child.
It can take more than 2 hours to gather information from a panicked parent.

The Real Missing
More than 700,000 children go missing annually.
250,000 are classified as Runaways
150,000 are classified as “Throw-away/Abandoned”
300,000 are classified as Missing / Abducted
58,000 are taken by non-family members

Would it be such a terrible idea to make things like this mandatory?
And force insurance companies to cover the costs or part of them at least?

GPS Tracking Chip For Children

Think about it, wearing seat-belts is mandatory, small kids must be placed in a child safety seat, there is rules after rules that are forced upon parents, for the kids own safety in mind.
So how much more of a stretch would this be, to help insure the safety of kids?

I can tell you this much, if I had kids, I would seriously consider doing it and the only thing that would stop me is the inability to pay for it.
Even as a teenager, I thought of this, its completely logical.
Makes perfect sense.

People even do this with their pets now.

If the law did make this mandatory and it fell within ones budget as to the insurance companies having to cover the costs.
Would you accept it?

Last edited:

Nymphs

Disclaimer: I do not have children, and I do not plan on having them.

As a child, yes, this could be a good idea, but as a teenager, hell no. Even without a chip my mother tracked my every move, and being able to do that to your child restricts their independence and growth.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Well I have controversial opinions on chipping people, but to just chip children seems inherently unfair. If we cannot chip ourselves for the amelioration of society then why should we chip kids. Moreover, I think important safety controls need to be set up as chipping people could lead to abuse of power over liberty.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Well I have controversial opinions on chipping people, but to just chip children seems inherently unfair. If we cannot chip ourselves for the amelioration of society then why should we chip kids. Moreover, I think important safety controls need to be set up as chipping people could lead to abuse of power over liberty.

I echo these sentiments.

kashmir

Disclaimer: I do not have children, and I do not plan on having them.

As a child, yes, this could be a good idea, but as a teenager, hell no. Even without a chip my mother tracked my every move, and being able to do that to your child restricts their independence and growth.

Some odd reason I thought you had kids.
I personally really wanted kids, but it just never worked out that way.

I think something could be set in place that prevents abuse of the device.
I agree, if kids knew they actually had no independence and the privacy issue, would be a horrible side affect.
There is a way around that though.
As only the parent can access the data in a real emergency.
Sort of like 911 works.

You do know that that system they put in cars "OnStar" I think its called, they can turn on the audio any time they wish, they have to be able to, in case the crash leaves people unable to reach the on/off button.

kashmir

As it could be abused by the gov, there are ways to prevent that.
I didn't been to exclude adults, but yes, I feel the same way about them as kids.
Women get kidnapped, raped and murdered all the time.
In my state, some sicko took women as sex slaves and looked them in his basement for many years.
Happened to kids as well.

It's mind boggling that this subject doesn't even seem to be cared about by the world and its like a total win win.
Tons and tons of people Lojack their precious material objects.