• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gov. Sununu plays the race card.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Gov. Sununu on Piers Morgan concerning Colin Powell's endorsement of President Obama;
Sununu: Well, I'm not sure how important that is. I do like the fact that Colin Powell's boss, George Herbert Walker Bush, has endorsed Mitt Romney all along. And frankly, when you take a look at Colin Powell, you have to wonder whether that's an endorsement based on issues or whether he's got a slightly different reason for preferring President Obama.
Morgan: What reason would that be?
Sununu: Well, I think when you have somebody of your own race that you're proud of being president of the United States, I applaud Colin for standing with him.

In other words, dismissing Powells endorsement as as simply a race based issue rather than an actual endorsement of Obamas Presidency.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Gov. Sununu on Piers Morgan concerning Colin Powell's endorsement of President Obama;
Sununu: Well, I'm not sure how important that is. I do like the fact that Colin Powell's boss, George Herbert Walker Bush, has endorsed Mitt Romney all along. And frankly, when you take a look at Colin Powell, you have to wonder whether that's an endorsement based on issues or whether he's got a slightly different reason for preferring President Obama.
Sununu: Well, I think when you have somebody of your own race that you're proud of being president of the United States, I applaud Colin for standing with him.

In other words, dismissing Powells endorsement as as simply a race based issue rather than an actual endorsement of Obamas Presidency.​
To me, this doesn't sound like "playing the race card".
Unless he's speaking sarcastically, it sounds more like approving analysis.
And this was an openly & enthusiastically expressed motive expressed by
many Obama supporters before the 2008 election.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

In other words, dismissing Powells endorsement as as simply a race based issue rather than an actual endorsement of Obamas Presidency.

I'm not surprised. He's called the President other things such as "lazy" so it was just a matter of time until he got around to displaying his obvious racist views. Heck, Ann Coulter called him a retard.....so I'm really not surprised by some of these people. It plays right into the limited thinking of some of their base supporters.

http://whitehouse.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/01/congressman-calls-obama-a-tar-baby/
“Even if some people say, well the Republicans should have done this or they should have done that, they will hold the President responsible,” said Lamborn said Friday during an interview on a Denver radio station. “Now I don’t want to even have to be associated with him. It’s like touching a tar baby and you get, you get it, you know… you are stuck and you are part of the problem now and you can’t get away.”

It's not even isolated to white people.....

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nake...congressional-seat-calls-obama-buckwheat.html
"Corey Poitier, who is running for U.S. Rep. Kendrick Meek's seat, delivered a passionate speech against the health care reform bill Monday night to Broward County Republicans. During the speech, Poitier addressed the President by saying 'Listen up, Buckwheat…'

It's freedom of speech but it does make them look really immature..

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm surprised. He's called the President other things such as "lazy" so it was just a matter of time until he got around to displaying his obvious racist views. Heck, Ann Coulter called him a retard.....so I'm really not surprised by some of these people. It plays right into the limited thinking of some of their base supporters.
Congressman calls Obama a "tar baby" – The 1600 Report - CNN.com Blogs
“Even if some people say, well the Republicans should have done this or they should have done that, they will hold the President responsible,” said Lamborn said Friday during an interview on a Denver radio station. “Now I don’t want to even have to be associated with him. It’s like touching a tar baby and you get, you get it, you know… you are stuck and you are part of the problem now and you can’t get away.”
It's not even isolated to white people.....
Candidate for Kendrick Meek's congressional seat calls Obama "Buckwheat" | Naked Politics
"Corey Poitier, who is running for U.S. Rep. Kendrick Meek's seat, delivered a passionate speech against the health care reform bill Monday night to Broward County Republicans. During the speech, Poitier addressed the President by saying 'Listen up, Buckwheat…'
It's freedom of speech but it does make them look really immature..
But of course, racism isn't limited to Republicans.....
Mary Frances Berry's response to 'Contracting out U.S. security? And will branding tea party 'racist' work?' - The Arena | POLITICO.COM
Report: Marion Barry:
Samuel L. Jackson Brings Back Racism - Yahoo! News
We don't vote for candidates because fans of their parties are exemplary human beings.
So there's no point in continually singling out our political foes for individual peccadilloes.

Last edited:

E. Nato Difficile

Hey come on now. Just because the Republicans have ridiculed Obama for having been a community organizer and claimed that he was born in Africa and accused him of pimping America and complained about working on his plantation and charged him with protecting those Black Panthers with the billy club and used terms like shuck and jive to refer to his agenda doesn't mean the Tea Party is racist or anything.

Where's your sense of humor?

-Shem

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Net-net, folks are talking about Sununu's dismissal rather than Powell's endorsement. Advantage: Romney.

You might be on to something. They're not talking about the endorsement or the comment Mourdock made...now it's Sununu...and it confirms what a lot of people at their base believe so it's not news to them.....

How can we steer this back to Romney and his outsourcing SENSATA or the millions he got from the stimulus bailing out Delphi....dang it...

E. Nato Difficile

Net-net, folks are talking about Sununu's dismissal rather than Powell's endorsement. Advantage: Romney.
Quite the contrary. Sununu was trying to spin Powell's endorsement as just something you'd expect from those people, rather than anything that might actually reflect perspicacity on the part of a respected pol like Powell.

-Nato

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. "I mean, that's a storybook, man."

I guess if you play the race card in a nice way you could become Vice-President of the US.