• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Friday in Protestant Christianity

Happy Easter season to you! Having lived in the U.S. in a Baptist-majority area, and then living later in a Catholic-majority area, I was wondering why Good Friday seems to be treated more seriously in Catholic culture? In Catholic areas, schools and businesses are often closed for the day, but in Baptist areas, they are often not. Since this day is deeply important in all main streams of Christianity, I was just curious how this difference developed.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Happy Easter season to you! Having lived in the U.S. in a Baptist-majority area, and then living later in a Catholic-majority area, I was wondering why Good Friday seems to be treated more seriously in Catholic culture? In Catholic areas, schools and businesses are often closed for the day, but in Baptist areas, they are often not. Since this day is deeply important in all main streams of Christianity, I was just curious how this difference developed.

I found that interesting to. Down south east us, on sundays and christmas everything closes except gass stations. Even giant and other chain grocery stores close.

I tried asking the same thing in religious debates so we can get an all around answer. No one replied yet.

Why is it not important to celebrate Jesus resurrection?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I don't really know why, either. It's just another difference between Catholic and Protestant religious culture. Catholicism follows a liturgical calendar with many Holy Days and Feast Days. Same with Orthodoxy. General American Protestantism such as the Baptists and such apparently only celebrate Christmas and Easter as Holy Days. They've stripped the other parts out of it, I guess.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It may be because we (Baptists) see the resurrection of Jesus/Yeshua as being more important than the day He died. I am not really sure. I, personally, see it as a holy day.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I found that interesting to. Down south east us, on sundays and christmas everything closes except gas stations. Even giant and other chain grocery stores close.
I tried asking the same thing in religious debates so we can get an all around answer. No one replied yet.
Why is it not important to celebrate Jesus resurrection?

First of all, Easter is Not the Resurrection of Christ, but from the non-biblical Resurrection of Spring celebration.
Jesus only gave Christians one important command - Luke 22:19 - to remember his day of death by the passing of both bread and wine.
As a wedding anniversary day does Not always fall on a Friday, then also the annual remembrance date could Not always fall on a Friday, thus Jesus' resurrection day would Not always fall on a Sunday.
Also, Jesus was Not resurrected to heaven the day God resurrected Jesus.
Jesus remained, using different materialized bodies, in the vicinity of the earth for 40 days before ascending to heaven.

Jesus died on the date of the Jewish lunar Calendar date of the month of Nisan, the 14th day.
That is why that ' Last Supper ' date often corresponds to or near the modern-day annual Jewish Passover day or date.
The Jewish Passover that the Jews memorialize was Not foreshadowing what Christ told his disciples to do to memorialize of his death.
Back in Egypt the Israelites actually partook of the lamb's flesh, but Not of its blood.
Whereas that differs from Jesus' instructions for those Christians who would rule a thousand years in heaven with Christ.
- Mark 14:22-25; 1st Corinthians 11:24-26; Revelation 20:6
Jesus' apostles did Not partake of either Jesus' body or blood, but the bread and wine is what symbolized Jesus' flesh and blood.
Without Jesus' faithful death we would Not have the opportunity for being resurrected.
Since we can Not resurrect oneself or another we need someone who can do that for us. Jesus can and will.- Revelation 1:18
Only some are resurrected to heaven to serve mankind living on earth - Rev. 20:6; 5:9,10
But the vast majority of mankind - John 3:13; Acts 2:34 - will be resurrected back to healthy physical life on earth during Jesus' 1000-year rule over earth. That is why Acts 24:15 uses the ' future tense ' that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection.....

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
True. That doesnt mean you cant celebrate (give specific honor to a day or two inlight of His resurrection) without assocating it easter.

Take the easter part out. Anyone can call Jesus resurrection day whatever they want and when. Why do details like that matter than the celebration by however means itself?

First of all, Easter is Not the Resurrection of Christ, but from the non-biblical Resurrection of Spring celebration.
Jesus only gave Christians one important command - Luke 22:19 - to remember his day of death by the passing of both bread and wine.
As a wedding anniversary day does Not always fall on a Friday, then also the annual remembrance date could Not always fall on a Friday, thus Jesus' resurrection day would Not always fall on a Sunday.
Also, Jesus was Not resurrected to heaven the day God resurrected Jesus.
Jesus remained, using different materialized bodies, in the vicinity of the earth for 40 days before ascending to heaven.

Jesus died on the date of the Jewish lunar Calendar date of the month of Nisan, the 14th day.
That is why that ' Last Supper ' date often corresponds to or near the modern-day annual Jewish Passover day or date.
The Jewish Passover that the Jews memorialize was Not foreshadowing what Christ told his disciples to do to memorialize of his death.
Back in Egypt the Israelites actually partook of the lamb's flesh, but Not of its blood.
Whereas that differs from Jesus' instructions for those Christians who would rule a thousand years in heaven with Christ.
- Mark 14:22-25; 1st Corinthians 11:24-26; Revelation 20:6
Jesus' apostles did Not partake of either Jesus' body or blood, but the bread and wine is what symbolized Jesus' flesh and blood.
Without Jesus' faithful death we would Not have the opportunity for being resurrected.
Since we can Not resurrect oneself or another we need someone who can do that for us. Jesus can and will.- Revelation 1:18
Only some are resurrected to heaven to serve mankind living on earth - Rev. 20:6; 5:9,10
But the vast majority of mankind - John 3:13; Acts 2:34 - will be resurrected back to healthy physical life on earth during Jesus' 1000-year rule over earth. That is why Acts 24:15 uses the ' future tense ' that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection.....

Forever_Catholic

Good Friday is a particularly important day in the liturgical calendar because it is the day when we remember the Passion of Christ. We remember the extreme physical and emotional agonies he suffered in atonement for our sins in order to restore the union between man and God. Even the hour of his death, 3:00 PM, should be remembered every day of the year with a little prayer, as it is by many Catholics.

The significance of the Resurrection can certainly not be overstated, but Protestants tend to put all the emphasis on Easter Sunday, while understating or not fully appreciating the other days in Holy Week. We should never forget that our salvation was purchased by Jesus’ Death, not His Resurrection.