• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good art tutorial

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Good, minimalistic art tutorial I found:

Pixelblog - 2 - Texture — SLYNYRD

Other tips:

-When shading, think first of the direction in which the light source is depicted as coming from

-If you go for a cartoon look to your art, don't make all outlines around objects black. Make at least some, if not all, a darker color of the inner color. Looks better.

PureX

Veteran Member
Good, minimalistic art tutorial I found:

Pixelblog - 2 - Texture — SLYNYRD

Other tips:

-When shading, think first of the direction in which the light source is depicted as coming from

-If you go for a cartoon look to your art, don't make all outlines around objects black. Make at least some, if not all, a darker color of the inner color. Looks better.
This is not an "art tutorial". It's not about art, at all. Manipulating pixels on a screen (or paint on a canvas) is not "art".

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
This is not an "art tutorial". It's not about art, at all. Manipulating pixels on a screen (or paint on a canvas) is not "art".

Art has a wide range, it may not be fine art, it may not even be mediocre art but it does meet the standard of the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

We'd have to define art. If we're talking art as in something you see in a museum and appreciate, it's not. If we're talking a type of art there's still a market for because it has uses in games and apps, and people can get paid for if it's of a decent quality by making it custom for a person's/team's project - well, it is.

PureX

Veteran Member
Art has a wide range, it may not be fine art, it may not even be mediocre art but it does meet the standard of the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination.
No, it's just a tutorial on the craft of pixel manipulation. It has nothing to do with creativity. It's just digital mechanics. Learning where the notes are played on the guitar is not making music.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
No, it's just a tutorial on the craft of pixel manipulation. It has nothing to do with creativity. It's just digital mechanics. Learning where the notes are played on the guitar is not making music.

Oh, I see what you mean.

To be fair, my thread title was "Good art tutorial" and not "This article will teach you everything you need to know about art".

PureX

Veteran Member
We'd have to define art. If we're talking art as in something you see in a museum and appreciate, it's not. If we're talking a type of art there's still a market for because it has uses in games and apps, and people can get paid for if it's of a decent quality by making it custom for a person's/team's project - well, it is.
Graphic/set design isn't art, it's graphic/set design. It could be a platform upon which an artist(s) creates art. But your tutorial is none of that. It's just a "how to" course in digital mechanics. Art is not defined by it's mechanics, or by the skill sets involved, or by the subject matter, or by the degree of appreciation it receives.

PureX

Veteran Member
Oh, I see what you mean.

To be fair, my thread title was "Good art tutorial" and not "This article will teach you everything you need to know about art".
I wasn't meaning to start a debate or anything. But as an artist (a real one), I feel compelled to do my part in fighting the overwhelming ignorance in this culture and country when it comes to the human endeavor referred to as "art". It saddens me to hear remarks, constantly, that equate art with craft, art with decoration, art with entertainment, art with certain kinds of objects or certain places and modes of display, and on and on ... people think art is everything but what art actually is. Such that almost no one in this country and culture knows what it actually is.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I wasn't meaning to start a debate or anything. But as an artist (a real one), I feel compelled to do my part in fighting the overwhelming ignorance in this culture and country when it comes to the human endeavor referred to as "art". It saddens me to hear remarks, constantly, that equate art with craft, art with decoration, art with entertainment, art with certain kinds of objects or certain places and modes of display, and on and on ... people think art is everything but what art actually is. Such that almost no one in this country and culture knows what it actually is.

I consider art all of those things. I do have my concerns that when you give me your definition of art, a fair amount of mysticism will be applied, because I'm not sure what other alternatives there are.... but I'm not going to commit Poisoning the Well fallacy, I'll approach it with an open mind.

ChristineM

Premium Member

Pixel manipulation to create images that are pleasing constitutes art. You may not like it but that is besides the point

PureX

Veteran Member
I consider art all of those things. I do have my concerns that when you give me your definition of art, a fair amount of mysticism will be applied, because I'm not sure what other alternatives there are.... but I'm not going to commit Poisoning the Well fallacy, I'll approach it with an open mind.
It's actually very simple, though it's not that easy to describe. Art is the act of one human being sharing his/her experience and understanding of 'being here', with another (or with many others). It's not entertainment, though it often entertains. It's not philosophy though it's often philosophical. It's not about craftsmanship, though it often employs excellent craftsmanship ... even as it transcends it. Sometimes it's "pretty" and sometimes it's not. Sometimes you like it and sometimes you don't. Sometimes you'll "get it" and sometimes you won't. It doesn't exist to serve you. It's not a commodity for you to accept or reject, like or dislike, buy or not buy, understand or dismiss.

It has no material value, whatever, which is exactly why it's of enormous importance and value to us all. We see ourselves within each other, through our works of art. We see how we are similar, and yet how we are each unique, and at the same time, through our works of art. We see what our culture holds most dear, and what it detests, through the works our artists create, and how we react to them. We can gauge our freedom and our humanity, as a people, through the works of art our artists create, and share with us. We learn to question what we value, through the experience of art! What could be more important then that?

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
No, actually it doesn't. No more than medicine is defined by what cures you.

Total bull, it is creative, sorry you are unable to see the art in that.

BTW, i am an artist, have been professional for close on 30 years so please dont presume to tell me that computer art is not art

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
It's actually very simple, though it's not that easy to describe. Art is the act of one human being sharing his/her experience and understanding of 'being here', with another (or with many others). It's not entertainment, though it often entertains. It's not philosophy though it's often philosophical. It's not about craftsmanship, though it often employs excellent craftsmanship ... even as it transcends it. Sometimes it's "pretty" and sometimes it's not. Sometimes you like it and sometimes you don't. Sometimes you'll "get it" and sometimes you won't. It doesn't exist to serve you. It's not a commodity for you to accept or reject, like or dislike, buy or not buy, understand or dismiss.

It has no material value, whatever, which is exactly why it's of enormous importance and value to us all. We see ourselves within each other, through our works of art. We see how we are similar, and yet how we are each unique, and at the same time, through our works of art. We see what our culture holds most dear, and what it detests, through the works our artists create, and how we react to them. We can gauge our freedom and our humanity, as a people, through the works of art our artists create, and share with us. We learn to question what we value, through the experience of art! What could be more important then that?

I like your post. However, I won't form an opinion either way at this time. I'll probably just end up seeing it the way most people see it though, as a lot of other informed people seem to use the terminology I did.

PureX

Veteran Member
Total bull, it is creative, sorry you are unable to see the art in that.
You presented no art, here, only some silly platitude about how art must please you.
BTW, i am an artist, have been professional for close on 30 years so please dont presume to tell me that computer art is not art
Artists can make art with anything, including computers. But being "pleasing" is like being "pink", or being "loud", or being "shiny". These are attributes and characteristics that artists USE to convey to others their experience of being here and of being who they are. They are not criteria for defining what is or isn't art.

ChristineM

Premium Member
You presented no art, here, only some silly platitude about how art must please you.
Artists can make art with anything, including computers. But being "pleasing" is like being "pink", or being "loud", or being "shiny". These are attributes and characteristics that artists USE to convey to others their experience of being here and of being who they are. They are not criteria for defining what is or isn't art.

It seems you are unaware of what can constitute are, probably not your fault.

Of course a pleasing creation can be seen as art, and silly attempts to strawman it are just silly attempts. Pleasing is an emotional response not a colour or a sound. But maybe to you... Who knows