• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good and bad

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Hey all. I was hoping you could help me with something, recently one of my friends has asked me to talk to his gf (also a friend of mine) about whether or not she's a "bad person". She claims to be a Christian and because I used to be one too my friend thought I'd be best placed to talk to her about it. Now I know the "default" Christian answer, i.e we're all bad people and need Jesus, but I was wondering if there were any other responses I could give. Therefore I came here hoping that some of our Christian members could give me a different answer or "non-default" answer.

Thanks in advance, Westy

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Well, yes, we're all "bad" because we sin, but we were all created with the image and likeness of God, so each of us is inherently "good." The answer's a hard one to know without more details, so I'm going to get risky and take a shot in the dark and say that, IF this friend was going down a dark road/making bad lifestyle choices, then she's not necessarily "bad," she just needs some direction and to get back on track.

heksesang

We all make bad choices in life, but that does not necessarily make us bad people. So one should be careful with judging people. Often we make bad choices for the right reasons (for instance, lying to someone to protect them, only to hurt them even more when they learn the truth eventually).
I'd say someone who actually see their error after they screw up is not a bad person.

9Westy9

Premium Member
Well, yes, we're all "bad" because we sin, but we were all created with the image and likeness of God, so each of us is inherently "good." The answer's a hard one to know without more details, so I'm going to get risky and take a shot in the dark and say that, IF this friend was going down a dark road/making bad lifestyle choices, then she's not necessarily "bad," she just needs some direction and to get back on track.

We all make bad choices in life, but that does not necessarily make us bad people. So one should be careful with judging people. Often we make bad choices for the right reasons (for instance, lying to someone to protect them, only to hurt them even more when they learn the truth eventually).
I'd say someone who actually see their error after they screw up is not a bad person.

Just wondering how you guys would define a good person and a bad person. Would you say that a good person has to be like Jesus (aka perfect) and everyone who falls short is a bad person, or would you use a different definition?

Thanks, Westy

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Just wondering how you guys would define a good person and a bad person. Would you say that a good person has to be like Jesus (aka perfect) and everyone who falls short is a bad person, or would you use a different definition?

Thanks, Westy
I would say a "good person" tries their best to be Christ-like, regardless of whether or not they fail to fully live up to that (since we all do). A "bad person" IMHO is one who doesn't care about good vs. evil and does evil just because they can, and they don't care how many people they hurt.

9Westy9

Premium Member
I would say a "good person" tries their best to be Christ-like, regardless of whether or not they fail to fully live up to that (since we all do). A "bad person" IMHO is one who doesn't care about good vs. evil and does evil just because they can, and they don't care how many people they hurt.

Good: Someone who cares. I will leave it at that.
Bad: Someone who doesn't care at all about anything.

My 2 cents.

Thanks guys, these have been helpful :)

AgogTheorist

Hi! Got storage?
...recently one of my friends has asked me to talk to his gf (also a friend of mine) about whether or not she's a "bad person".

Do you know if any of her issues with this are rooted in the concept of "original sin"? ie. being born a sinner because Adam and Eve messed up? Because I could give you some good ammo against that argument.

Now I know the "default" Christian answer, i.e we're all bad people and need Jesus

Is there some kind of concern that she does not "have enough" Jesus to make up for the "badness" or something? Or that if she's too "bad", she won't make it to heaven?

I apologize if I'm reading too much into this situation; I'm just trying to understand it a bit better so I can tailor my response.

gweber41

Hey all. I was hoping you could help me with something, recently one of my friends has asked me to talk to his gf (also a friend of mine) about whether or not she's a "bad person". She claims to be a Christian and because I used to be one too my friend thought I'd be best placed to talk to her about it. Now I know the "default" Christian answer, i.e we're all bad people and need Jesus, but I was wondering if there were any other responses I could give. Therefore I came here hoping that some of our Christian members could give me a different answer or "non-default" answer.

Thanks in advance, Westy

If she is a Christian, then you could tell her that though she is by nature "bad" God views Christ's goodness when He views her. Therefore, she doesn't have to be ashamed because her faith is counted to her as righteousness. Furthermore, as a Christian she has the Holy Spirit living inside of her giving her the power to do the will of God in every situation.

Hope that helps!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Good and Bad are labels; just that. No one is either good, nor bad.

At every juncture in life, each and every day, we have to make decisions about what action to take in certain circumstances; sometimes we make a choice that we know is not the one we believe God would wish us to make - maybe, that is is a sin - but it doesn't make us "bad" we are neither bad nor good - we were made in God's image....