• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gods that want to be eaten

Spiderman

Veteran Member
So yesterday I went to Mass and I ate the Flesh and drank the blood of God... That is indeed what Catholics believe is done at the mass.

What other gods are there that want to be eaten in this manner besides Dionysus?

Meaning they makes themselves present in the form of food to be consumed as a means of communing with them?
images (49).jpg

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The Eucharist /ˈjuːkərɪst/ (also called Holy Communion or the Lord's Supper, among other names) is a Christian ritethat is considered a sacrament in most churches and an ordinance in others. According to the New Testament, the rite was instituted by Jesus Christduring his Last Supper; giving his disciples bread and wine during the Passover meal, Jesus commanded his followers to "do this in memory of me" while referring to the bread as "my body" and the wine as "my blood".[1][2] Through the Eucharistic celebration Christiansremember Christ's sacrifice of himself on the cross.[3]
Eucharist - Wikipedia
eucharist.jpg

Jumi

Just a heads up that at least some protestant denominations don't believe in the wine becoming blood of Jesus etc.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Just a heads up that at least some protestant denominations don't believe in the wine becoming blood of Jesus etc.
True but that goes against what Jesus said. The first time in his ministry he lost followers was when he said you must eat the Flesh and drink the blood of the son of man are you have no life within you. Many left him and he didn't call them back and explain that he meant any differently.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Pastafarians (try to) eat spaghetti every holy day (Friday) as a symbol of the body of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, who boiled for our sins.

Monster, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the Noodle to know the difference.

R'Amen

siti

Hainuwele - who was a girl endowed with the supernatural power of defecating precious things (like pots, knives, jewelry and gongs) apparently inspired jealousy rather than gratitude in her beneficiaries. They killed her and she was subsequently dismembered and buried in various places whereupon she continued in death as she had in life as her various body parts grew into the valuable root crops and vegetables that sustained the people forever thereafter.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Hainuwele - who was a girl endowed with the supernatural power of defecating precious things (like pots, knives, jewelry and gongs) apparently inspired jealousy rather than gratitude in her beneficiaries. They killed her and she was subsequently dismembered and buried in various places whereupon she continued in death as she had in life as her various body parts grew into the valuable root crops and vegetables that sustained the people forever thereafter.
That's very interesting!

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Wurruri in aboriginal tradition was killed and eaten; not voluntarily, but we are indebted to the act as our capacity for language and culture sprang from this ancient murder.

So yesterday I went to Mass and I ate the Flesh and drank the blood of God... That is indeed what Catholics believe is done at the mass.

What other gods are there that want to be eaten in this manner besides Dionysus?

Meaning they makes themselves present in the form of food to be consumed as a means of communing with them?
I do not think you understand the meaning and context of what occurs when someone seriously takes the grapejuice and bread. Its body and blood, its symbolic to believing in the death, burial and Resurrection of Jesus, and making that be a part of you. Just as the baptism in water is like having a short bath in your view. But its washing and cleansing from the old life. Spiritual insight is provided with spiritual eyes.

wellwisher

Both bread and wine are symbols of civilization. Both are processed foods, where natural ingredients are transformed into a new chemical state that is fused and preserved. Grape juice will not stay grape juice for every long, but will spoil or ferment. If we turn this into wine, it will now last. Some wine is 100 year old.

Eating the body and blood of Jesus, symbolized by the bread and wine, was not about natural blood and flesh. These things are natural and will decay. The body and blood that Jesus spoke of were these natural things being processed, to last, forever, and provide nourishment. The outer man was to die; flesh and blood, and the inner man was to last and become preserved; eternal life; spiritual bread and wine.