• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's not alone

EyeofOdin

I'm here to say that Christianity isn't the only religion in the world. On that note, there are other religions because the World Religions. The indigenous, polytheistic and pagan religions are still alive, growing and practicing.

I used to get quite upset whenever people always equated "religion" with Abrahamic worldview, or thought that all religion was just about the biblical God. That was before I had to remind myself that most people don't know that we exist. It's my community's obligation to make our image, presence and existence known.

We are here.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I suppose one of the things to be learned at an education forum for religion is that the Religions of Abraham are not the only ones. I know that people know this, but maybe they just don't know people who follow these religions and/or faiths. Education is the key to help with ignorance: We all have ignorance of a lot more things than we don't.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The indigenous, polytheistic and pagan religions are still alive, growing and practicing.

We are here.

Yes...alive, growing and practicing...very much so :D

Yes we are. ;)

In the interest of contributing an intelligent post, I've joined two other boards that are heathen, indigenous, polytheistic and pagan-related. I cannot believe the number of members following all these paths. I would never have guessed.

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I'm here to say that Christianity isn't the only religion in the world. On that note, there are other religions because the World Religions. The indigenous, polytheistic and pagan religions are still alive, growing and practicing.

I used to get quite upset whenever people always equated "religion" with Abrahamic worldview, or thought that all religion was just about the biblical God. That was before I had to remind myself that most people don't know that we exist. It's my community's obligation to make our image, presence and existence known.

We are here.
Are you Heathen (capital "H"?)

outhouse

Atheistically
Takes more than one person to play D&D, but enough about RPGs, this thread is supposed to be about religions.

Sorry man.

I just find these positions to be quite the distance from reality and would not want these people anywhere near my child to be honest.

I can see where Abrahamic traditions mythology started and can sometimes trace the mythology, and follow teachers that have studied this and have hundreds of years to draw on history to understand them coming and going.

I understand how their followers think.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Sorry man.

I just find these positions to be quite the distance from reality and would not want these people anywhere near my child to be honest.

You say sorry then direct an even worse insult my direction?

I think you should worry more about the Straw Man than you should about religious folk around your children. After all, many religious folk have in the past said the same about folks with dark skin, then more recently of folks who are homosexual.

I can see where Abrahamic traditions mythology started and can sometimes trace the mythology, and follow teachers that have studied this and have hundreds of years to draw on history to understand them coming and going.

I understand how their followers think.

To be perfectly frank, the words you use to describe religion, and religious folk in general, in this thread and others, tells me the exact opposite.

EyeofOdin

Shall we name them Captain Obvious?

If the contemporary practice of indigenous and polytheistic religions is so obvious, then why is Christianity still claiming everything religion as being synonymous with everything Christian? Westerners try to say that all of religion is Abrahamic, at least most claim that all practiced religion is. This simply isn't true.

Most people I talk to about religion aren't aware of my own polytheistic spirituality. Usually I'm assumed to be an atheist because of how obviously not-Christian I am. Then I say that I'm a heathen and almost everyone didn't know that we exist. Even someone who says "I believed in all [of the gods and goddesses]" didn't know about the active and growing but minority pagan and polytheist communities.

Then if the people in discussion know about these gods, for the majority of the time they view them as relics; something that silly, ignorant, godless heathens made, along with the pottery and other archaeological finds, categorized in what is now called mythology (which has incorrectly been assumed to mean "anything fake goes here" and to have no relation to the Lore in the Abrahamic holy scriptures, no matter how similar they are via comparative mythology nor if the Abrahamic mythology is just as abstract or ridiculous as the pagans). The gods and Pre-Christians are studied with a colonialist lens, sometimes with laughter. The scholars who are the colonialists as well also say how these "primitive" peoples didn't know about science, stuff we're gifted to know as 21st century Westerners, and they came up with stories to explain the suns movement across the sky or the rain, because they didn't know any better, said so patronizingly.

Given the current world population and the number of super geniuses like Einstein or Michio Kaku, we're slacking, and they were doing much better in science than how I hypothesize we would, at least without great minds Pythagoras, Socrates or Aristarchus native to that time.

Even in this forum I see things like what is listed. I'm seeing the assumption that monotheism means religion and vice versa and the colonialist perspective that polytheism is a relic of the past; something silly but interesting.

Our deities, Lore and rituals aren't "primitive". They're rich, complex and the product of thousands and thousands of years of language, ancestry, culture and tradition. They're not silly (not any more silly than the mythology of creationists at least), they're abstract and symbolic with deep meaning and insightful wisdom.

It's time to make ourselves known, so the natural polytheists (those who know about the gods but aren't aware of the community) and the Monotheists, Atheists, Christians and Agnostics in The West can no longer claim ignorance to the honor and veneration of Thor, Zeus, Isis and all the pagan gods. Of the gods who receive worship, God's not alone. God's not the only god and his temple isn't the sole place of worship.

Last edited:

EyeofOdin

Are you Heathen (capital "H"?)

I'm not one to get picky about titles. Odinist, Asatruar, Germanic Polytheist, Nordic Heathen or Northern Tradition Pagan all work just the same, just with slightly different connotations and I can dispute that whenever lol.

But yes, I'm a Heathen, if you wish to use that term.