• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's non-existence: The full proof

Inky

Logic must apply to God.
In order to create anything, there must be at least one process involved to create it. (By doing nothing, you cannot create anything.) Therefore, if God created the universe, then he must have used logic in order to complete the process(es) involved correctly.
Likewise, God could not have created the universe without logic existing, then created logic because - as with the previous example - creating anything requires logic. So in order to create logic, you would need to already have logic. Therefore logic could not have been created.

Evil exists.

In order to remove evil from the world, God must want to remove it, and be able to remove it.
But God does not remove all evil from the world. Therefore:
God does not want to remove evil.
And/or God is unable to remove evil.

If God does not want to remove evil, then he is not benevolent.
(And/or) If God is unable to remove evil, then he is not omnipotent.

If God is not benevolent, and/or God is not omnipotent, then the Christian God does not exist.

QED.

The main reason that your argument doesn't apply to the vast majority of Christians is your definition for "benevolent", which is "wanting to remove all evil". Most Christians believe that humanity as a whole is better off for some reason because of the presence of evil in the universe, and so removing it would not be a benevolent action. It often stems from a belief that while evil generates suffering, it also allows humanity as a whole to grow stronger and closer to God, or is necessary for the full process of human spirituality. If you'd like to keep the definition that benevolence requires a desire to remove all evil, then most Christians do not believe that God is benevolent, using your definition. (Any Christians in the thread, correct me if I'm wrong; I was Christian for quite a long time and this is the impression I got about the purpose of evil.)

This argument is very old and not many people take it seriously, not because they're blinded by religion, but because the premises and definitions aren't relevant to most people's religious beliefs. I'm an atheist and I still recognize that it isn't a strong argument.

Last edited:

gnomon

1. By this reasoning Jesus as god could never have existed, since he was bound by human parameters.

2. The supposed gods left by this reasoning are not worthy of worship.

That may be, but it doesn't logically refute their existence.

And once again, depending on which version of Christianity one adheres to, Jesus was God. Remember, he was supposedly bringing a dead man back to life by willing it to be. Definitely not something within human parameters. Unless your David Blaine.

Dunemeister

But Christianity states man was made in God's image. God is also portrayed in the bible as having the same emotional failings as men. And of course Jesus, who was considered to be both god and a man. Does this not suggest an anthropomorphic god?

No. It suggests a theomorphic human. (No, I'm not being cute. I'm quite serious.)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
But Christianity states man was made in God's image. God is also portrayed in the bible as having the same emotional failings as men. And of course Jesus, who was considered to be both god and a man. Does this not suggest an anthropomorphic god?
To me it suggests a mythology.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Sigh. Where do I start?

No wishy-washy irrelevant responses to any of this please. I don't want to hear anything about "God's plan...", or "our human minds are imperfect..." unless it is actually relevant. Please don't waste my time reading meaningless responses. I'd like to see clear, logical rebuttals only.

I'm afraid that kind of opening statement is only appropriate on Yahoo Answers where you'd get all kinds of juvenile flak from 50 year old men for you below statements. Here, you'll get a full spectrum of many, many ideas, including some of the so-called rubbish you expressly wish not for. (don't worry, you won't get much of the "god is not impressed... blah blah.... god still loves you... blah blah... god bless you... blah..."; that kind of thing isn't really tolerated here, even by Christian members.)

Now then, my proof. This does not apply to all versions of "God", as it makes the assumptions that God is omnipotent and benevolent. However, this means it does disprove many major religions, including Christianity. Here it is:

Let's get this show on the road!

Logic must apply to God.
In order to create anything, there must be at least one process involved to create it. (By doing nothing, you cannot create anything.) Therefore, if God created the universe, then he must have used logic in order to complete the process(es) involved correctly.

Likewise, God could not have created the universe without logic existing, then created logic because - as with the previous example - creating anything requires logic. So in order to create logic, you would need to already have logic. Therefore logic could not have been created.
I could go on into even more depth, but hopefully you get the idea.

Problem. Scripture doesn't actually say anything about various concepts, like logic, not existing before Genesis Chapter One; only a physical world. If the Bible is the way the world is, I have a strong feeling that the laws of nature, such as logic and mathematics, already existed, and God used them to create a world that he could call his own. After all, many of the so-called 'miracles' of the Old Testament have been scientifically verified, such as the Exodus from Egypt. (See "The Exodus Decoded"; VERY interesting and thought-provoking) To quote aforementioned documentary, "God doesn't suspend the laws of nature; he manipulates them."

Evil exists.
I do not care whether evil is the "lack of God", or the "work of Satan", or "created by man", or any other red herring you can think of. All I am interested in here is the fact that evil - whatever you want to define it as - exists.

In order to remove evil from the world, God must want to remove it, and be able to remove it.

Evil is a concept that is 100% man-made and to be frank, I don't believe in it, nor do I believe in "good". In nature, neither of these concepts exist, only cause and effect. I would expect even the lesser gods to be the same way, above such petty human conceptions, let alone Iluvatar himself. :)D) As for removing it, this is impossible, and God never claims that he will be able to. (here's a rebuke of my own towards a certain canonized book) Even if the New Earth comes about and there is pure peace for ever, eventually someone would get bored and start the whole mess over again. The only way to prevent that from happening is to pretty much send all of humanity to Hell, and I doubt God is willing to do that.

Not to mention the plea of Abraham for Sodom where his nephew (I think) Lot lived. Abraham says, "If there are fifty good men there, would you spare it?" And God replies, "Even for the fifty's sake I would spare it." And the dialogue goes on until God states that "Even if there were only ten good men there, I would spare the city for their sake."

...I'm starting to get the feeling you haven't actually read much of the Bible.

Never claimed to be.

Again, he never claimed to be.

If God is not benevolent, and/or God is not omnipotent, then the Christian God does not exist.

QED.

I'm afraid that "If... then...." statement doesn't work here, and here's why. "The Christian God does not exist if and only if he is neither benevolent nor omnipotent."

In Genesis, God frequently has to go and see for himself things he hears, implying a lack of omnipresence right there. He also floods the world, turns Sodom and Gomorrah upside-down while dropping asteroids on them, orders genocide (watch, I'm going to get all kinds of flak for that one :D) and sets down laws for the Jews that would to a modern person seem barbaric, such as the requirement to kill any rebellious child. (Or, heck, the whole circumcision thing... which STILL makes absolutely no sense to me!) Not to mention in the prologue to the Book of Job God lets his jester Satan cause all kinds of bad things to happen to the protagonist bearing the book's name while sparing his life. Going just from those, I don't think God ever meant to be "benevolent".

Basically, while I do respect your decision not to believe the Christian God exists and I by no means am trying to make you believe he does, the reasons you've provided are full of holes and not really backed up by actual Scriptual support and indeed demonstrate a lack of understanding if not a demonstration of never having read the Bible. In other words, you haven't provided tangible proof at all; you've just demonstrated a significant lack of understanding of Christian lore and philosophy likely based on what you've heard the fundies say, and many Christians here as well as Christians I've met outside the internet disagree wholeheartedly with fundies.

As for using logic... human logic is puny and small. Our minds are NOTHING, even less than a flea's mind compared to ours, compared to what I'd expect even from a lesser god like Hermes or Osiris, let alone a God-King like Odin or Amon-Ra, let alone from a singular god like Brama (spelling, Hindus?) let alone from Iluvatar himself! I have a feeling that our logic cannot possibly fathom it, as it can barely fathom itself. Heck, how many times have you looked for something in your own house, exhausting all possibilities, before finding out that it was in your hand all along? Or forgetting your walet at work which is 30 miles away from your house?

The inability of humans to use their powers of observation to the fullest never ceases to amaze me. I don't think it can even be done by a normal person to observe something they don't really understand at all, such as "before" the Big Bang.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

It's debatable whether or not there's anything in the bible to suggest that Jesus was devine (I lean towards "not").

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
To me it suggests a mythology.

And no mythology ever really claimed to be "true" and in fact, I don't think any mythology can be "true". (not "truth" as in "this is how it happened", mind you, as "truth" for me is more philosophical than literal.)

Jeremiah

The main reason that your argument doesn't apply to the vast majority of Christians is your definition for "benevolent", which is "wanting to remove all evil". Most Christians believe that humanity as a whole is better off for some reason because of the presence of evil in the universe, and so removing it would not be a benevolent action. It often stems from a belief that while evil generates suffering, it also allows humanity as a whole to grow stronger and closer to God, or is necessary for the full process of human spirituality. If you'd like to keep the definition that benevolence requires a desire to remove all evil, then most Christians do not believe that God is benevolent, using your definition. (Any Christians in the thread, correct me if I'm wrong; I was Christian for quite a long time and this is the impression I got about the purpose of evil.)

Would this not imply that God is not all-powerful? It seems to me an all-powerful god could foster this growth and closeness without the need of suffering.

Rolling_Stone

I refer you to Heb. 1:1

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
And no mythology ever really claimed to be "true" and in fact, I don't think any mythology can be "true". (not "truth" as in "this is how it happened", mind you, as "truth" for me is more philosophical than literal.)
The truth is in the symbolism.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
No wishy-washy irrelevant responses to any of this please.
No wishy washy responses to a wishy washy premise? That's not fair! :D I
. I'd like to see clear, logical rebuttals only.
So, we should depart from the OP.
Logic must apply to God.
You have turned an assumption into a premise and both are fallacious. By definition, God is supernatural. Ergo, God does not play by OUR rules and can change them as he see fits. Subsequently, it can be easily derived that God does not follow logic, but that logic follows God. When you create a world, you can do illogical things within it, just like the worlds you dream.
Evil exists.
And I am not going anywhere, anytime soon. Again, you have let an assumption become your premise and have missed the point of evil. Using your logic, darkness disproves light and the existence of helium disproves gravity.

Now, if you can grasp this singular concept. Not all truth can be deduced. For an object lesson in this, proceed to prove "white". You either can see white, or you can't. Logic has no bearing on it's existence and your feeble attempts to prove it will not make it any more or less real. If you want to employ vapid reasoning, please use a bit of humor like the HHGTTG.

HHGTTG on the Babel Fish said:
Ford: "It's unpleasantly like being drunk."
Arthur: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford: "You ask a glass of water."
Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.
The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

Do let me know when you approach the next zebra crossing. It would be great fun to watch!!! :D

Last edited:
Asserting the existence of a being that lies outside the realm of all known physics basically states that God is unknown function which cannot be derived by all known physical laws. Hence the terms eternal and supernatural as opposed to temporal and natural.
If God is assumed to be a supernatural agent then one cannot logically apply a set of human parameters to that which is superhuman.
Besides, a Christian could just respond with John 1:1.

1. By this reasoning Jesus as god could never have existed, since he was bound by human parameters.

2. The supposed gods left by this reasoning are not worthy of worship.

But if God is supernatural, then He can even defy point #1, couldn't He?

I heartily agree with point #2!

Last edited:
Suba Pete: oy-vey.

RiverWolf: Didn't Tolkien believe in Evil? Didn't Galdalf? If Sauron won, then effect of the cause would have been that the Shire would have been devoured...which would have been...bad...Evil, right?

I'm pretty sure that Eru-Illuvitar frowned upon Evil as well, and that Morgoth and Sauron are condemned in the Silmarrilion as Evil.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Logic must apply to God.
I can't actually say I disagree with this...

So... logic already existed? Does this actually imply anything, other than god was logical? If logic existed to begin with... then... there was no need for logic to be created, because.. well - that implies there wasn't logic to begin with. I'm sorry, but what exactly is your point?

Evil exists
I do not care whether evil is the "lack of God", or the "work of Satan", or "created by man", or any other red herring you can think of. All I am interested in here is the fact that evil - whatever you want to define it as - exists.
One labels a thing as "evil" because one thinks it so. "evil" is only that which you do not agree with... so evil exists to those who say it does.

So god thinks there's such thing as evil?
You must know god better than I, if you can say that God disagrees with stuff to call it "evil".

QED.

Evil needs to exist first. Until you can tell me that there is one thing that is considered evil, across the whole universe, by god included, I'm going to say that evil doesn't exist, and that it is only evil by the minds of people, therefore does not need to be "removed".

Rolling_Stone

Evil needs to exist first. Until you can tell me that there is one thing that is considered evil, across the whole universe, by god included, I'm going to say that evil doesn't exist, and that it is only evil by the minds of people, therefore does not need to be "removed".
Correct: evil is a space-time phenomenon that has no basis in reality.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The truth is in the symbolism.
And the symbolism is relative to the cognitive ability of the observer at any given juncture in time. So-called 'Truth' is necessarily a past tense affair.

Last edited: