• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's motives to torture

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The Bible and the Koran essentially says that people will be tortured in the next life if they are unbelievers or they do or fail to do x y and z.

What do you think God's motives are for torturing people in the next life, if you believe that happens?

Scripture says there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth, and the rich man in Hades was being burned by flames.

If God is love, I could see him putting people out of their misery like you would a sick dog. I cannot fathom why a God who is love would think torture is a good thing, especially for those who didn't know any better.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you think God's motives are for torturing people in the next life, if you believe that happens?

I'm agnostic on the question, but it's not something I think about since that god is not part of my cultural traditions or way of life. I'm far more concerned about the motives humans have for telling stories about such a deity, and what purpose that serves in various cultures. What lesson does that mythology intend to convey? I see these lessons:

• Harmony with your community is important. "Unbelievers" designate a cultural outsider, someone who is outside the community. Telling stories that demonize outsiders, generally speaking, have the effect of solidifying community bonds and placing importance on said community. Given humans are social animals, this is a ubiquitous practice in world mythologies, though the lesson is told through many different ways.
  • Actions have consequences that may not be immediate. The crux of this is to instill a sense of mindfulness, particularly within the context of community harmony and human-human relations. In other words, it cultivates personal responsibility and awareness that the reactions to our actions may not always be readily apparent or obvious. Again, this is a very common mythological theme told in different ways.
  • Rules and structure are important. Particularly as a way of preserving community harmony or amiable human-human relations. Rules and structures set limits and boundaries for what is and isn't acceptable for conduct. And, of course, there are consequences for breaking the rules. This too is a very common mythological theme with many variants.
And that is how one is supposed to approach mythology. Not with (pardon) infantile mythological literalism, but as a document that helps outline rules of conduct and behavior for a society through storytelling. Parables, as it were.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The Bible and the Koran essentially says that people will be tortured in the next life if they are unbelievers or they do or fail to do x y and z.

Scripture says there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth, and the rich man in Hades was being burned by flames.

If God is love, I could see him putting people out of their misery like you would a sick dog. I cannot fathom why a God who is love would think torture is a good thing, especially for those who didn't know any better.

Its one of several reasons i reject abrahamic religion as an evil concept . Any being who considers torture a suitable persuader to get people to follow him just isn't worth the time

InChrist

Free4ever

The Bible reveals the torment it is and that one experiences being apart from God's presence. It does not say that people will essentially be tortured in the next life if they are unbelievers, much less that God tortures anyone.

Human beings, according to the scriptures are created in the image of God and are eternal beings who will spend eternity either with or apart from God by their own choice.

The scriptures show the extent to which God went in the Person of Jesus Christ to warn, provide a way, and to prevent anyone who desires from being separated from God, the only Source of life. love, beauty, and joy and all that is good.

Those who refuse the source of love and life suffer self-inflicted torment.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member

In as much as god can do whatever he wants, and chooses to let people be tortured after death, at its very core it must be because it pleases him more than it displeases him, if it displeases him at all.

InChrist

Free4ever
In as much as god can do whatever he wants, and chooses to let people be tortured after death, at its very core it must be because it pleases him more than it displeases him, if it displeases him at all.

Do you propose God force people into heaven, into His presence for eternity when they don't want to be there? If people don't want to give up there sin any live in a sin free environment should God force them to anyway? God does not violate His own Nature and Character. God is Love and Love cannot be forced. According to the scriptures humans were created in His image with the freedom and will to love or not, trust or not. That was His design and obviously it does not please Him to eliminate love or choice.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Do you propose God force people into heaven, into His presence for eternity when they don't want to be there? If people don't want to give up there sin any live in a sin free environment should God force them to anyway? God does not violate His own Nature and Character. God is Love and Love cannot be forced. According to the scriptures humans were created in His image with the freedom and will to love or not, trust or not. That was His design and obviously it does not please Him to eliminate love or choice.
Do you want them to suffer or not? Hell would be their heaven. If you really want to annoy a villain for eternity, force them to have to be a saint for all time.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If a person doesn't want to be in heaven, that doesn't mean God has to give them an eternity of misery.

InChrist

Free4ever
If a person doesn't want to be in heaven, that doesn't mean God has to give them an eternity of misery.
What should God do then? Being apart from God IS misery. There are only two options: with God In His love, goodness, beauty, and joy or absent from His presence which is misery. Should God force people into His presence? Can Love be forced?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Do you propose God force people into heaven, into His presence for eternity when they don't want to be there?
Who, truly knowing what heaven is, doesn't want to be there? And if they don't why create the terror of hell as the alternative?
BUT, what's wrong with making sure everyone gets into heaven, even if they don't want to be there?

If people don't want to give up there sin any live in a sin free environment should God force them to anyway?
Why not? My guess is that either they weren't sold on the inevitability of the afterlife in heaven, or are incapable of it understanding it. And don't forget that many, many people have never heard about the Christian heaven. What of those who are simply ignorant of the sin-salvation game god is playing?

God does not violate His own Nature and Character. God is Love and Love cannot be forced.
And as Isaiah 45:7 tells us, god also creates evil. And he can force evil on anything he wishes.

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil. I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things.?​

According to the scriptures humans were created in His image with the freedom and will to love or not, trust or not.
What scripture? Chapter and verse please.

That was His design and obviously it does not please Him to eliminate love or choice.
Or eliminate all the evil he creates.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
What should God do then? Being apart from God IS misery. There are only two options: with God In His love, goodness, beauty, and joy or absent from His presence which is misery. Should God force people into His presence? Can Love be forced?
He could make people cease to exist rather than live for eternity tortured.

InChrist

Free4ever
Who, truly knowing what heaven is, doesn't want to be there? And if they don't why create the terror of hell as the alternative?
BUT, what's wrong with making sure everyone gets into heaven, even if they don't want to be there?

Why not? My guess is that either they weren't sold on the inevitability of the afterlife in heaven, or are incapable of it understanding it. And don't forget that many, many people have never heard about the Christian heaven. What of those who are simply ignorant of the sin-salvation game god is playing? .
People choose to reject heaven because they refuse to acknowledge or give up sin and they love self more than God or others. Sin and it's damaging impact is not allowed to enter or exist in heaven. Those who are so caught up in self over others would be just as miserable in heaven as they will be in hell. So there is no point in forcing them.
Ignorance is not an excuse in a court of law. I don't think it will work at the Judgment either, besides I believe God gives each person adequate information and abundant opportunities to understand if they sincerely desire to.

And as Isaiah 45:7 tells us, god also creates evil. And he can force evil on anything he wishes.
Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil. I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things.?​

I've already discussed this verse, which you like to continually take out of context, with you enough. Again, this is referring to calamity...not moral evil. God cannot commit moral evil.
What scripture? Chapter and verse please.

Genesis 1:26
Or eliminate all the evil he creates.

The whole of the Bible presents God as Holy, God does not and cannot create evil. The suffering and torment people experience in an eternal state separated from God is terrible and self-inflicted.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I do believe in a realm of punishment or suffering for misdeeds after death but it's not necessarily eternal. I never saw the point of an eternal hell. I think we all eventually return to God.
That's what I believe. I believe everybody will be purified, maybe through Fire as gold is purified in fire, but purified none the less to reach the first degree of perfection.

InChrist

Free4ever
God can do anything to relieve people's misery. God can make a person cease to exist.
I don't think so, because the I believe the scriptures reveal that God created humans beings to exist eternally with God living in the joy of an eternal loving relationship. We are eternal beings who cannot cease to exist.