• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's Moral System and Human's Moral System

rojse

RF Addict
In many religious debates, why do we presuppose that the moral system of an omniprescent and omnipotent God is, or should be, identical to our moral system?

rojse

RF Addict
You presume too much ...

Obviously, it's not every debate, and when it is, it's not every person, but I have seen more than a few debates that make quite a few assuptions about the morality of God, and I thought it worth discussing, just to see what I was missing in regards to this subject.

Rolling_Stone

Obviously, it's not every debate, and when it is, it's not every person, but I have seen more than a few debates that make quite a few assuptions about the morality of God, and I thought it worth discussing, just to see what I was missing in regards to this subject.
Most of the assumptions come from from atheists. The "problem of evil" is just one.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Most of the assumptions come from from atheists. The "problem of evil" is just one.
I disagree.
I think is it pretty much devided right down the middle.

Especially given that the existence or non-existance of god is likely the very first assumption.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Naturally, god is amoral, just like a certain rare kind of love is amoral.

Now that I've got it figured out, we can all go home if we want.

Last edited:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I dunno. You may be right.
Now don't get me wrong.

There are all manner of individual conversations (or perhaps debate is a better word?) where it is one sided with the assumptions.

But in the over all scheme of things, I think that it is right down the middle.

tigrers99

In many religious debates, why do we presuppose that the moral system of an omniprescent and omnipotent God is, or should be, identical to our moral system?

Maybe because we are God's 'offspring'

Acts 17:29 (King James Version)

29Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

rojse

RF Addict
Maybe because we are God's 'offspring'

Acts 17:29 (King James Version)

29Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

Interesting.

How, though, do you reconcile all of the extra duties that God apparently has with our morality being equivalent to God's? According to traditional Biblical views, god judges our worth to enter heaven, for example, but we are told not to judge.