• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's Job Description (by a 10-year-old)

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
I'm an Atheist, and encourage my 10-year-old to think freely and without fear on all topics, including religion and God. Today, on the drive to the ski hill, all I had was a pen and paper to keep him busy. I asked him "If I'm wrong and there is a God, what would you tell him his job was?" Here's his list (I'll try to scan it and attach it if I can... his mis-spelling and hand writing makes it even funnier):

God's Job Description

1.) Come skateboarding, BMXing, snowboarding and roller blading with us
2.) Be nice
3.) Get people to do things for themselves
4.) Don't pick favourites
5.) End racism
6.) Talk to us all
7.) Fight your own battles... don't use people... do it yourself
8.) Show yourself
9.) Give handicaps back what they lost
10.) Do what Robin Hood does without the stealing part
11.) Make poor dudes rich and give them Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Porsches
12.) Stop people from bullying each other
13.) Treat people the same including gay people and ladies
14.) Stop disasters like earthquakes, floods and tornadoes
15.) Only let people use science for good, not for atom bombs and nuclear stuff
16.) If there is hell, make it only for serial killers, Scream (horror movie killer character), Hitler and terrorists
17.) Let us choose when we die but you can only live until 1,000,000 then kill us or we will rot
18,) Make us be able to fly
19.) If there is heaven, let us choose what age you are when you first get there
20.) Make it so only me, Dad and other nice people can add to this list
21.) Only I can take stuff off the list
22.) If people pray for stupid things, tell them to get it themselves

IMO, if we spend less time telling kids what to think, and more time teaching them how to think, we could all learn a lot from them. Any comments?

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Cute list. Almost as cute as watching my three little granddaughters bow their curly heads and pray together at night. You should hear some of those prayers - I believe that God is listening to them and laughing his head off in enjoyment!

Kids are amazing - their honesty and sincerity, coupled with their innocence, is so poignant.

Last edited:

MSizer

MSizer
That rocks! You need to tell your kid (I'm sure you have) that he's a damn good kid! I was reading along and getting all emotional about the fact that a ten year old can see the stupidity that goes on in the world at the hands of adults, and then he cracked me up with "If people pray for stupid things, tell them to get it themselves"!

It was like the final punch in a David Letterman top ten! I've got nothing funny to top that!

Seriously, good for him. I expect you're proud, and rightfully so.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
And kudos to sonofskeptish as well. Sounds like you're doing a great job as a dad!

Rather reminds me of my own beloved Papa.

dust1n

Zindīq
I'm an Atheist, and encourage my 10-year-old to think freely and without fear on all topics, including religion and God. Today, on the drive to the ski hill, all I had was a pen and paper to keep him busy. I asked him "If I'm wrong and there is a God, what would you tell him his job was?" Here's his list (I'll try to scan it and attach it if I can... his mis-spelling and hand writing makes it even funnier):

God's Job Description

1.) Come skateboarding, BMXing, snowboarding and roller blading with us
2.) Be nice
3.) Get people to do things for themselves
4.) Don't pick favourites
5.) End racism
6.) Talk to us all
7.) Fight your own battles... don't use people... do it yourself
8.) Show yourself
9.) Give handicaps back what they lost
10.) Do what Robin Hood does without the stealing part
11.) Make poor dudes rich and give them Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Porsches
12.) Stop people from bullying each other
13.) Treat people the same including gay people and ladies
14.) Stop disasters like earthquakes, floods and tornadoes
15.) Only let people use science for good, not for atom bombs and nuclear stuff
16.) If there is hell, make it only for serial killers, Scream (horror movie killer character), Hitler and terrorists
17.) Let us choose when we die but you can only live until 1,000,000 then kill us or we will rot
18,) Make us be able to fly
19.) If there is heaven, let us choose what age you are when you first get there
20.) Make it so only me, Dad and other nice people can add to this list
21.) Only I can take stuff off the list
22.) If people pray for stupid things, tell them to get it themselves

IMO, if we spend less time telling kids what to think, and more time teaching them how to think, we could all learn a lot from them. Any comments?

Very intelligent kid.

Just_me_Mike

I dunno, not to throw a bone in the mix, because it is a great list. I have a ten year old as well, and kids are only as good as their instruction. Like we don't have many or any really gay or lesbians close in the family or friends really, not by choice, just the way it is. The conversation has vaguely come up and he understands people are all different and that is OK.

This list seemed almost like too much for a 10 year old. However, it is your kid, so it is what it is. I would suspect you spend a lot of time discussing heavy subjects with him. Kids on general at that age don't form opinions that strongly unless forced to do so.

All in all, thanks for sharing the list, and hope my comments are too offensive.

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
I dunno, not to throw a bone in the mix, because it is a great list. I have a ten year old as well, and kids are only as good as their instruction. Like we don't have many or any really gay or lesbians close in the family or friends really, not by choice, just the way it is. The conversation has vaguely come up and he understands people are all different and that is OK.

This list seemed almost like too much for a 10 year old. However, it is your kid, so it is what it is. I would suspect you spend a lot of time discussing heavy subjects with him. Kids on general at that age don't form opinions that strongly unless forced to do so.

All in all, thanks for sharing the list, and hope my comments are too offensive.

Your comments are not offensive at all.

If your interested, we have no openly gay or lesbian friends or family members (that he is aware of), and I was forced to discuss this "heavy subject" with him last year when one of his public school colleages decided to tell him "Jesus sends gays to hell". Another told him "Allah kills people who don't believe in him". I wish kids could just be kids too, but sometimes such situations force heavy discussions.

Also, it doesn't help that he has seen the odd "Family Guy" episode which has caused more than one premature conversation. Out of curiousity, which of his opinions do you see as "strong"?

Last edited:

Just_me_Mike

Your comments are not offensive at all.

If your interested, we have no openly gay or lesbian friends or family members (that he is aware of), and I was forced to discuss this "heavy subject" with him last year when one of his public school colleages decided to tell him "Jesus sends gays to hell". Another told him "Allah kills people who don't believe in him". I wish kids could just be kids too, but sometimes such situations force heavy discussions.

Also, it doesn't help that he has seen the odd "Family Guy" episode which has caused more than one premature conversation. Out of curiousity, which of his opinions do you see as "strong"?
You know on second thought, it's all good. My first gut reaction was damn, does this kid have any fun? :)
Any further comment would be judgmental on my part, and I am sure your son is a beautiful little guy, so I'll refrain from further negative critique of the list.

On the bigger picture side of things it pains me to think 10 year old kids need to know some of these things, and is a great testament to just how stupid we are every second of everyday, to not change the world faster than we are for our next 10 year old children to come along.