• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's Gender

This is a serious question I have had which has gone unanswered.

It concerns the God of the Bible (or any God actually). Why is Jehovah a He and not a She?

When I think of gender - or rather the sex of a person - I think of private parts. Girls have girl things and boy have boy things.

Now from what basics I learned in school abut biology and genetics is that if a fetus has an XX chromosomal pair then that causes the endocrine system of the fetus to begin producing female hormones which morphs the fetus into a female proper.

If the fetus has a XY chromosomal pair then the endocrine system of the fetus will produce androgins other such male hormones which turns the fetus into what we know of as a male.

So from what little I know of human language... specifically English... is that if something has the private parts of a XY Male, then we call it a "HE" and if something has the private parts of a XX Female then we call it a "SHE," and if something as no private parts like plants and bugs, then we most often call it an "IT."

Thus, what exactly makes Jehovah a He and not a She or an It? This is a real important question because as far as I know we also ascribe certain forms of the word "god" to things that are either a "he," or a "she," such as "He gods" are Gods, and "She gods" are Goddesses. So the follow up question would be: Why is Jehovah God believed by it's adherents to be a God and not a Goddess?

I assume that Jehovah is some kind of spirit person. When leads me to ask: Does spirit have sex/gender? What is that gender or sex of the spirit based on?

How does a spirit, which to me evokes the thought of "energy" or ghosts, have a sex or gender?

Because to me, as one author I have read said: "Man has always created his gods, rather than his gods creating him." - Anton LaVey

From my perspective and understanding of things, it appears as those we (as in humans) are obviously creating our gods we worship. And that when we create or invent such gods, we often PROJECT our own humanness and what we know and understand of things at a certain moment onto and into the gods we create.

Such as gender for instance. Also such as the so very common human emotion of Jealousy as in how the Bible describes in the 10 Commandments how God is a "Jealous" God, which to me - just my personally opinion and feelings - is a really petty emotion for a god of any kind to have.

I also see this "human projectionism" in God in "His" other all too human qualities and characteristics. He is spiteful and vengeful... he plays favorites with Jews and not gentiles... he needs to rest for at least a day out of the work week... he's even described in many places in the Bible with human bodily things like legs and arms and a head and face... he sits on a throne like a king (I wonder where they got that idea from).

We or I, see this human projectionism too in Jesus and Marry, and the angles. Why isn't Jesus black or Asian? Why do the angles look like white men in robes? How come I never seen an angle with an afro?

But I'm not just picking on the God of Christianity either. Because if you look at the Buddha in China he looks Chinese? Then if you go to Southeast Asia the Buddha looks Khmer, or Thai. And if you go to India he end up looking Indian.

Now we are seeing this same human projectionism in the field of current religion in regards to what new sciences and technological advancements we have had such that now you have wackos like Sitchen in his 12th planet Saga and von Daniken saying that aliens came to the earth and mixed their genes with ape women?

Or more bizarre is the Joy of Satan and how their Satan is some alien who was a genetic engineer named Enki that made humans.

Doesn't it become visible to see this human projectionism when we study closely all human religions and gods our species as a whole have been writing about and worshiping since the first stanzas of the Vedas written by unknown hands to the wacko alien cults cropping up today that we actually do create our gods and not vise versa? Or do most of us need a few thousand more years of this religion and god thing to pass before we come to the conclusion?

Why is Jehovah God a He and not a Goddess?

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
There are some who consider the Biblical God to have a female aspect (holy spirit) but these people are few and far between.
As a Hindu I see God as being male and female and other. In fact, all things manifest are the creative force/energy which is considered female. It isn't a biological description, it is qualitative.

There are some who consider the Biblical God to have a female aspect (holy spirit) but these people are few and far between.
As a Hindu I see God as being male and female and other. In fact, all things manifest are the creative force/energy which is considered female. It isn't a biological description, it is qualitative.

I agree with you. There was a time when the Holy Spirit was a female (Sophia... according to some gnostic sects). And I also believe to a certain extent that we and everything are manifestation of Life Force.

You used the word "Qualitative"... and reject the term "Descriptive."

What is the difference?

Because to me when we are dealing with something like a "God" (any god) we are dealing with two primary variables of an equation the Visible Observer (VO) and the Invisible Observed (IO) (oxymoron?). With some kind of act of mental Apprehension (A), valuation, ascription of judgment and quality to the IO. So in my mind the equation for coming to "know" any god would look something like this: VO+A=IO

That equation only goes one way, which suggests to me that what valuation, qualifying judgment, description, apprehension, understanding of God happened in the mind of the Believer and is projected out into the "blank slate" of Life.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Probably an artifact of the male dominated society of the middle-eastern nomads of Abraham's time. God was powerful and threatening. Men could be powerful and threatening. Women stayed in the tents, nursed babies and sewed.

dust1n

Zindīq
Probably an artifact of the male dominated society of the middle-eastern nomads of Abraham's time. God was powerful and threatening. Men could be powerful and threatening. Women stayed in the tents, nursed babies and sewed.

An effect? You seen all the patriarchy in that book? It was probably the effect of the male dominated society, AND the cause of it even harshly down the road. Remember when women couldn't vote?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I just remembered, women couldn't vote for over a thousand years in Western society until the early 1900's.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yeah, it makes no sense for some incorporeal cosmic being to have attributes associated with organic beings that reproduce sexually. Giving god a gender (or any other human attribute, such as jealousy) is just mortal mans attempt to create and anthropomorphize god in their own image, and thus is only mere projection of their own egos and emotions rather than being representative of any real god.

freethinker44

Just by following the logic, if man was created in gods image, and woman was created from man after man was created, then gods image is that of man.

But really, an absolute being would have to be both genders in order to really be absolute but this is a whole other debate.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Just by following the logic, if man was created in gods image, and woman was created from man after man was created, then gods image is that of man.

But really, an absolute being would have to be both genders in order to really be absolute but this is a whole other debate.

Made in the image of God does not imply any physical likeness to God. Scripture teaches that God is a spirit and does not have physical parts like a man. (John 4:24)
The image of God in man has to do , rather , with personality.
The human qualities of feeling, caring and communicating some from God. Even joy, sorrow, and desiring relationship are part of His personality.
Moral and spiritual qualities differentiated humankind from all other creatures. God's image gave them an awareness, a sense of right and wrong. God's people love, love and hate evil and differentiate betwen the two options. This is called conscience. Each being his own person, all people are endowed with God's image and separate from all other people.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
You used the word "Qualitative"... and reject the term "Descriptive."

What is the difference?

The point I like to emphasise the most is that when we speak of gender of God we cannot think from the perspective of human biology. That just isn't correct. God is not made in our image, we are made in His/Hers/Its. 'Male' or 'Female' in respect to God means one thing in this new perspective and everything created is a reflection of these 'genders'. I say qualitative because some qualities represent the male and some represent the female. We see these qualities reflected through nature and they are also reflected in men and women as their respective dominant qualities/characteristics.

In short, it has nothing to do with having a penis or breasts or beard. It's more to do with characteristics of nurturing, creativity etc.

Edit to add: I was just looking on wikipedia and came across this information from the Shakti school. This is a good example:

In pure Shaktism, the Great Goddess, or Devi, is worshiped as nothing less than the highest divinity, Supreme Brahman Itself, the "one without a second," with all other forms of Divinity, female or male, considered to be merely her diverse manifestations. In human beings, she is seen as the power of intelligence (buddhi), compassion (daya) and divine love (bhakti), among her many other functions

Last edited:

Dunemeister

Christianity has always taught that God is, strictly speaking, genderless, although we have traditionally used male pronouns and images to refer to him (see?). But the use of such masculine language may simply be an accident of culture.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree, but not 'cause it's a dualistic concept. Gender's a linguistic term for a type of noun-class that doesn't usually have anything to do with sex.
You mean sex -- say sex. Don't use a peculiarty of English grammar to create a euphamism.

Dunemeister

I agree, but not 'cause it's a dualistic concept. Gender's a linguistic term for a type of noun-class that doesn't usually have anything to do with sex.
You mean sex -- say sex. Don't use a peculiarty of English grammar to create a euphamism.

Doesn't matter which word you use. Either way, the terms don't apply to God.

jtartar

Hello,
Starting at Gen 1:5, God is called HE. Everyplace after that He is called a Man, or He, His. He is also called the King, which is masculine.

Mr Cheese

when god is mentioned in the bible
This comes with a name

El SHaDDAI
Elohim
Jehova
Bertram
Susan
Adonai
Ehyeh Asher thingy

etc

These are actually manifestations of God
as such how god manifests is attributed due to linguitsticial masturbatory things...and the principle and way God manifests

as such to state God is male..and is sexist nonsense...

Abwûn

“Oh Thou, from whom the breath of life comes,

d’bwaschmâja

who fills all realms of sound, light and vibration.

Nethkâdasch schmach

May Your light be experienced in my utmost holiest.

Têtê malkuthach.

Your Heavenly Domain approaches.

Nehwê tzevjânach aikâna d’bwaschmâja af b’arha.

Let Your will come true – in the universe (all that vibrates)
just as on earth (that is material and dense).

Hawvlân lachma d’sûnkanân jaomâna.

Give us wisdom (understanding, assistance) for our daily need,

Waschboklân chaubên wachtahên aikâna

daf chnân schwoken l’chaijabên.
detach the fetters of faults that bind us, (karma)
like we let go the guilt of others.

Wela tachlân l’nesjuna

Let us not be lost in superficial things (materialism, common temptations),

ela patzân min bischa.

but let us be freed from that what keeps us off from our true purpose.

Metol dilachie malkutha wahaila wateschbuchta l’ahlâm almîn.

From You comes the all-working will, the lively strength to act,
the song that beautifies all and renews itself from age to age.

Amên.

Sealed in trust, faith and truth.
(I confirm with my entire being)

harmony999

Made in the image of God does not imply any physical likeness to God. Scripture teaches that God is a spirit and does not have physical parts like a man. (John 4:24)
The human qualities of feeling, caring and communicating some from God. Even joy, sorrow, and desiring relationship are part of His personality.
Moral and spiritual qualities differentiated humankind from all other creatures. God's image gave them an awareness, a sense of right and wrong. God's people love, love and hate evil and differentiate betwen the two options. This is called conscience. Each being his own person, all people are endowed with God's image and separate from all other people...................................[beings in another persons image is looking how they are looking, and in the bible in genisis chapter 1:26 it says let us make man in our image and after our likeness. the only human who can do this is female, it is a proven fact that the Y chromosome comes from the X chromosome and the Y chromosome is missing 2.8 percent less genetic material than the X chromosome and the X chromosome is 5 times bigger than the Y chromosome. females are gods, they shape and fashion the child inside of them for nine months and what ever they do effects everything on how the child will come out and how the child will be. they are gods. they even can create on there own asexually, its called parthenogenisis, the bartholin gland is on both side of the females vigina and it releases a white fluid that is equivilant to the semen in the man, they release this fluid from this gland and it does the same thing the mans sperm does, and swims to the ovary and fertilized the egg. you can see it in other species of animal, the komoto dragon, hammer head sharks, amphids, some species of worms and much more. so they create man and other females in the womb in there own image, THEY ARE GODS!!!]

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Made in the image of God does not imply any physical likeness to God.
Hi, Charity. Can you give me even one example of how you might use the word "image" in a sentence which would not imply a physical likeness (aside from quoting the Bible, of course). I'm looking for an example of how you might use the word in every day language.

Scripture teaches that God is a spirit and does not have physical parts like a man. (John 4:24)
Actually, it doesn't. It teaches the "God is [a] spirit," but it definitely does not say that He has no physical parts like a man. Even the indefinite article ('a') is extraneous, because the original Greek has no indefinite articles. Whenever the translators came to a noun, they had to decide whether to include an indefinite article or not. In some cases, they decided to include one, hence: "God is a spirit." In other cases, the simply omitted it, for example: "God is light," and "God is love." It would have been just as accurate to say "God is spirit." Now, what is "spirit"? The original Greek word is "pneuma." In John 4:24, the word "pneuma" was translated as "spirit." In at least one other place in the New Testament, the same word was translated as "life." Consequently, it would be just as correct to say, "God is life," as it would be to say, "God is spirit" or even "God is a spirit." You obviously believe that Jesus Christ was God. Does He have physical parts like a man? If He does, then your statement that "God has no physical parts like a man," can't be accurate. If A = B and B = C, then A must = C as well.

I believe that God does have those qualities, but I have heard a great many Christians say that God has "neither body parts nor passions." Are you saying that He has no body parts but that he does have passions? I also noticed that you used the word "communicating." To me, this is the key to what John 4:24 is really talking about. We are spirits (or life force) residing in imperfect, mortal bodies. God is a spirit (or life force) residing in a perfect, immortal body. Jesus Christ was said to be "the express image of His Father's person." Why not "the express likeness of His Father's being"? I believe it's because the Son not only had all of the divine qualities His Father had, but that He looked like His Father. Anyway, we are told that we are to worship God "in spirit." We can do that because we communicate with God spirit to Spirit.

Moral and spiritual qualities differentiated humankind from all other creatures. God's image gave them an awareness, a sense of right and wrong. God's people love, love and hate evil and differentiate betwen the two options. This is called conscience. Each being his own person, all people are endowed with God's image and separate from all other people.
I agree with everything you've said here, except for you use of the word "image" to mean something it really doesn't mean at all.

:hug: