• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's Attributes .

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Hello guys!

I thought why not give you guys a heads up for God's attributes in Islam. In Islam, God:

1- Is only one of a kind.
2- Never been born.
3- Never had offspring.
4- Is ever living; never dies.
5- Never gets sleepy.
6- Never sleeps.
7- Owns everything in the heavens and on land.
8- Knows what goes in our minds and what's going everywhere.
9- Never had a spouse.
10- Can talk like we talk, as he talked to Moses peace be upon him.
11- Is all-powerful.
12- His knowledge covers everything.
13- He exists ;)

Those are just some of them. If you have some you want to share about God's attributes in your beliefs, please do.

Reminder: debating is not allowed in this section. Thank you very much.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on all.
Al-Malik ------------The Sovereign
Al-Quddus -------The Holy One
Al-Salam ---------- The Source of Peace
Al-Mu'min --------The Bestower of Security
Al-Muhaimin -------The Protector
Al-'Aziz ------------The Mighty
Al-Jabbar ------------ The Subduer, The One Who repairs broken works.
Al-Mutakabbir ----The Exalted
Al-Khaliq ----------- The Creator
Al-Bari -------------The Maker
Al-Musawwir-------- The Fashioner
Al-Ghaffar---------The Great Forgiver
Al-Qahhar----------- The Most Supreme
Al-Wahab----------The Bestower
Al-Razzaq------------The Great Sustain-er
Al-Fattah------------The Opener (of the doors of success for mankind) ; The Judge
Al-Aalim ------------- The All-Knowing
Al-Qabiz ------------The Controller ; He Who keeps all things within limits ; The Seizer
Al-Basit ---------------The Enlarger ; He Who enlarges the means of subsistence.
Al-Khafiz------------The Depressor ; He Who brings low the proud.
Al-Rafey --------------The Exalter

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hello guys!

I thought why not give you guys a heads up for God's attributes in Islam. In Islam, God:

1- Is only one of a kind.
2- Never been born.
3- Never had offspring.
4- Is ever living; never dies.
5- Never gets sleepy.
6- Never sleeps.
7- Owns everything in the heavens and on land.
8- Knows what goes in our minds and what's going everywhere.
9- Never had a spouse.
10- Can talk like we talk, as he talked to Moses peace be upon him.
11- Is all-powerful.
12- His knowledge covers everything.
13- He exists ;)

Those are just some of them. If you have some you want to share about God's attributes in your beliefs, please do.

Reminder: debating is not allowed in this section. Thank you very much.

/Pus on her Abrahamic clothes for a minute/

I'd also assume the Abrahamic god will have

1. Compassion for all living
2. Be a teacher/a source of learning as for a child to an elder
3. A "person" you can sense inside as well as outside since both are interconnected
4. A friend; best bud; pal
5. The essense of Equality (or Oneness :) )
6. One who does not see himself different than anyone else (alien, human, god, whom/whatever)
7. He'd also be a good alto singer with trained fingers as a pianist
8. A self-published author with good penmenship

Basically, a cool dude, cool skills, and a fantastic smile.

Last edited:
If I was an Abrahamic then I'd subscribe to the apophatic God about whom no attributes can be stated.

Attributes that can be applied to people can't be applied to God, so you can't say He is merciful or good as these are human characteristics.

To say He is one places a limit around Him and could imply that he was finite; how can something without beginning or end be 1? To say He exists would also imply that He could not exist, which would be impossible.

The only thing you could say about such a God would be that He is beyond human comprehension and anything that could be comprehensible to humans couldn't be God.

Were I Abrahamically inclined, such a God would make most sense to me.

GoodbyeDave

If you have some you want to share about God's attributes in your beliefs, please do.
For me, the Creator is

1. Creative.
2. Personal, as an impersonal force cannot be a designer.
3. Necessary and self-sufficient, to serve as an explanation for the universe.
4. Incorporeal, as a world soul, embodied in the universe, could not be its cause.

A creator is not necessarily omnipotent or omniscient: just competent and knowledgeable enough to do the job.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Could make loads of lists for this based on what is written in the many different texts.

There are multiple deities discussed in the Bible; each with different characteristics, when we check their histories.

Then there is a totally different definition within the Quran.

If i were to use my own first hand experience, that also doesn't seem to fit 100% with what I've read.

The God that manifest reality is like a dynamic evolving processor (CPU)...

It is beyond the dimensions of unconditional love, and wisdom, thus its knowledge, and understanding contains all of infinity. :innocent:

Treks

I'm loving this thread!

The opening verse of the Sikh scripture says:

~~
One Universal Creative Force
The True Reality
The Doer
Without Fear
Without Hatred
Timeless
Never Born
Self-Created
Known through Guru's blessings

True in the primal beginning
True throughout the ages
True here and now
Forever and ever True
~~

Akaal Sahib is the inner-knower (antarjami), the one who brings light to darkness (knowledge to ignorance), is the Lover of lovers, the King of kings, infinite and ultimately inconceivable.

Kirran

Premium Member
I wonder, what do you make of the following Islamic views I've heard:

1) Tawhid (the doctrine of the oneness of God, for those not in the know;)) means God has no attributes, because that'd be heterogeneity

and

2) God can have no attributes which a human can have - all God's attributes are unique to God?

Treks

In this instance, it seems like the creation has revolted against its Creator.
Hopefully @Smart_Guy won't use his powers of moderation to cause a great Locking of the thread.

Humans are the only things in creation (that we know of at the moment) that have the capacity to "revolt" against "God". Our task is to neutralize our tendency to revolt and live according to what Sikhs call Hukam and I'm sure other religions call "God's will".

Tumah

Veteran Member
Humans are the only things in creation (that we know of at the moment) that have the capacity to "revolt" against "God". Our task is to neutralize our tendency to revolt and live according to what Sikhs call Hukam and I'm sure other religions call "God's will".
Not sure if you caught the context.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
If I was an Abrahamic then I'd subscribe to the apophatic God about whom no attributes can be stated.

Attributes that can be applied to people can't be applied to God, so you can't say He is merciful or good as these are human characteristics.

To say He is one places a limit around Him and could imply that he was finite; how can something without beginning or end be 1? To say He exists would also imply that He could not exist, which would be impossible.

The only thing you could say about such a God would be that He is beyond human comprehension and anything that could be comprehensible to humans couldn't be God.

Were I Abrahamically inclined, such a God would make most sense to me.

God is one means there's no one comparable to him and no other God.