• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goddess Worship

akinyele

I think goddess worship would be a great idea. I dont think that male god is the problem. the problem is the fear of the feminine energy and feminine power in most male dominated religons. any religon that does not allow female priest, or makes a woman cover her body from head to toe or supresses woman has a fear of the ability of a womans ability to influence a mans masculinity. it probably has a lot to do with men being afraid to embrace the more feminine parts of his own psyche, and fear of what that means. so that part of alot of people gets repressed since men are afraid of it and women are afraid of the negative social stigma and if women represent the part of you that you repressed then there is a fear of feminine power since for some men it represent the castration of male power. in goddess worship it might be possible for men to embrace this part of themselves with out feeling castrated and so that is why I think goddess worship might be a good idea for the world.

most guys I tell this just look at me and say bluntly I cant worship a female god.
just because you worship female god does not mean you are any less masculine. If a female god will free you to not be afraid of feminine power then it could give you a channel to tap into new types of emotional power expression and energy. goddess worship could make a man more powerful. we should all think about how the usual gender stereotypes are too rigid and not flexible enough. feminine energy definitely has great power intelligence wisdom force and most importantly love and embrace. not tolerance but embracivness. any thoughts?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Early religions worshipped the Goddess, probably because the woman gives life. Do you think this will come to be again? I have noticed a trend toward Goddess worship is some religions. Assuming this would happen, how do you think this would change religion as we know it?
I would say it is already happening. Unfortunately, the majority of society is so wrapped up on Abrahamic religions that many folks keep to themselves. While I don't worship a Goddess and only a Goddess, I do worship many Gods and Goddesses. While I consider my official religion to be Wicca, I worship the Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egyptian Mythology. From the things I have learned since I became Wiccan, it seems that a lot of modern Wiccans are like me in that they have several Deities (often from a Mythology era/culture), rather than just the God and Goddess in general. Personally, I have grown to love and look to Isis, much in the same way that one should be able to look to their mother. It's just that I look to Her, respect Her, and worship Her in ways I would never do for my own mother (or any other mortal). I hope that made sense...

Metalic Wings

The idea of a goddess or goddesses in general has always fascinated me.

I understand that it takes two to make a baby (as previously mentioned) but the fact that it is the mother who nurtures the baby through the pregnancy and then gives birth that defines the whole "motherly nurturing nature" of a goddess.

Yet I know that even a female-run society (or religion or anything) has a fifty-fifty chance of being good or bad. I've read books where the female was the dominate gender and what might happen if they were in control. Although entirely hypothetical, such ideas make you think from different perspectives.

Just to throw that out there :D

Nunjima

God, Brahman, Tao or that highest thing that none can name has no gender. However the earliest devision of the universe created duality. this primal devision created Male and Female.

Worshiping a male or a female deity are diferent gates to the same well (God). As individuals who are not totally merged with God, ie identify ourselves with the entire unity, worship is a useful practice to centre ourselves and connect with God. Each deity has a certain characteristic experince in worship. Diferent people have diferent needs when it comes to the spititual path. To some, worshiping a male god is the appropriate path, to some the female, to some both or to some a genderless god.

I would hope that future religion honours both the male and female aspects of devinity. I personally prefer to pray to both a male and a female god as this creates a ballance within me. I also meditate on the formless genderless god/tau.

The world seems all to dominated by Masculine devinity, probably due to the nature of the male being more active tending to agressive and the female more passive and nurturing.

The yin-yang, star of david and shiva lingam-yoni are beutiful holy symbols that demonstrate the harmony of male and female.

In hindu mythology the lingam (phallus, male) was said to be too hot and potent by itself and so it needed to be placed in the yoni (vagina, female) to temper it's potency. Here you have male over female. Kali (female) when enraged was in danger of destroying the universe so shiva (male) lay down in front of her path to temper her potency. Here we have female over male.

Thus to much to one side is dangerous, ballance is the key.

Sorry for rambling ;)

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I've resisted this thread long enough...

Early religions worshipped the Goddess, probably because the woman gives life. Do you think this will come to be again? I have noticed a trend toward Goddess worship is some religions. Assuming this would happen, how do you think this would change religion as we know it?

Dear Gods, I hope not.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Sister Gentoo, my I ask why you hope that Goddess Worship doesn't fully come back? I'm curious.
Unless I misunderstood what you meant.

I have, what Mike and I call, an allergic reaction to Goddesses in general... but especially Mother Goddesses.. I'm glad it works for some people, but it honestly makes me sick to my stomach.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I have, what Mike and I call, an allergic reaction to Goddesses in general... but especially Mother Goddesses.. I'm glad it works for some people, but it honestly makes me sick to my stomach.
Oh I see, Thank you ^_^
I do wounder though what might cause this?
Sadly(not really) I'm prone to Goddess "Worship".
Especially Strong Goddess.., like Lady Sekhmet.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Oh I see, Thank you ^_^
I do wounder though what might cause this?
Sadly(not really) I'm prone to Goddess "Worship".
Especially Strong Goddess.., like Lady Sekhmet.

You and me both... it seems to come out of nowhere, but I'm not ready to explore it yet..

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
You and me both... it seems to come out of nowhere, but I'm not ready to explore it yet..
When it does come to you it makes perfect sense. Personally, I think my own mother's ignorant behavior this past year has brought me closer to my Goddesses. Isis is my #1 Goddess, followed by Tefnut, Sekhmet, and Bastet. There are Gods mixed in there too, but I figured to keep with the thread topic I would just speak of the Goddesses.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Well others may, and probably will, interpret things different than I do, but this is how I see it...

You know how people love their father and mother equally, yet slightly differently? It's not that masculinity or feminity are better or worse than each other, they just play different roles. In my world of worship, Isis is my Mother figure while Tefnut is like a Grandmother in a way. But, then again, everyone has a different relationship with Them.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Well others may, and probably will, interpret things different than I do, but this is how I see it...

You know how people love their father and mother equally, yet slightly differently? It's not that masculinity or feminity are better or worse than each other, they just play different roles. In my world of worship, Isis is my Mother figure while Tefnut is like a Grandmother in a way. But, then again, everyone has a different relationship with Them.

Well, I won't drag this topic off the tracks :) Continue in your Goddess worship!