• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goddess Worship

xkatz

Early religions worshipped the Goddess, probably because the woman gives life. Do you think this will come to be again? I have noticed a trend toward Goddess worship is some religions. Assuming this would happen, how do you think this would change religion as we know it?

I think this has led to two things in Paganism/Wicca:

1) Paganism becoming more popular with woman (feminism); most of what I see about Paganism on the internet seems to point out that women more common than men in terms of number of adherents

2) Some people will refute this idea, saying that god/the godhead does not have genders, the god/goddess just represent their aspects

I don't think it would have much affect on non-Pagan religions (like Christianity), since they use doctrine/dogma to make men more favorable and also they claim that god has no gender.

I hope that makes SOME sense.

Mira_Omina

Priestess of Fashion Gods
I really hope it does! I'm sick of the world being dominated by religions that live to chop people to bits. We need to go to the love, acceptance, and freedom of Goddess worship and paganism. So many people who don't adhere to Goddess worship/paganism (one in the same to me, in different ways) don't really understand it. You can worship the Goddess in any manor of your choosing, not some set, dull, one way of doing it. Plus Goddess worship isn't some book telling you what to do. It kinda speaks of the Mother's power that she has lived in her Daughters for so long without the help of a written manuel and suppressing other religions.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I really hope it does! I'm sick of the world being dominated by religions that live to chop people to bits. We need to go to the love, acceptance, and freedom of Goddess worship and paganism. So many people who don't adhere to Goddess worship/paganism (one in the same to me, in different ways) don't really understand it. You can worship the Goddess in any manor of your choosing, not some set, dull, one way of doing it. Plus Goddess worship isn't some book telling you what to do. It kinda speaks of the Mother's power that she has lived in her Daughters for so long without the help of a written manuel and suppressing other religions.

There's nothing saying that pagan worship of Gods is anything like that. But being in a Goddess DIR, I'll leave it there.

Mira_Omina

I guess you aren't talking about Ereshkigal then ;)

Welcome to the forum :D
Nope, I go for the Great Mother Goddess/Great Three-fold Goddess and a few others who like to help out. Though I must admit, she isn't all that loving to those who break her laws. None of them are.
Thank you! :)

@ Gentoo It's probably because I got half an hour of sleep, but I can't make heads or tails of what you said. Sorry hun, but you'll have to spell it out for me. Exhaustion has dulled my brain power.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
@ Gentoo It's probably because I got half an hour of sleep, but I can't make heads or tails of what you said. Sorry hun, but you'll have to spell it out for me. Exhaustion has dulled my brain power.

It seemed that you were describing Abrahamic worship of God and equating it to Pagan Gods as well. But this is also my allergic reaction to Goddesses flaring up again.

Mira_Omina

@ Gentoo In a way I was. And I understand your allergies perfectly, everytime I come in contact with a matameea I start sneezing like mad. You might want to try Zyrtec, it works for me most of the time.
Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in Abrahamic religions but I don't have any problem with them or their practitioners. I just never pass up a chance to scathingly mention the inquirers. Wrong forum for that, so I digress.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
@ Gentoo In a way I was. And I understand your allergies perfectly, everytime I come in contact with a matameea I start sneezing like mad. You might want to try Zyrtec, it works for me most of the time.
Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in Abrahamic religions but I don't have any problem with them or their practitioners. I just never pass up a chance to scathingly mention the inquirers. Wrong forum for that, so I digress.

Matameea...?

tavthe

Abysmal Stargazer
I think for those caught up in whether God is female or male, a shift in goddess worship may create the greatest source of commotion, but among people who regard divine as sexless, it won't have near the impact on their spirituality.

Wannabe Yogi

Early religions worshipped the Goddess, probably because the woman gives life. Do you think this will come to be again? I have noticed a trend toward Goddess worship is some religions. Assuming this would happen, how do you think this would change religion as we know it?
As a Kali worshiper I believe I can comment on this DIR.

Goddess worship is a part of human religion. Just look how Christians had to find a place for Mary. Just having a male god does not full fill the needs of many human beings.