• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is the devil??

John D.

My girflriend (jane d) and i have had a revelation. it occured to us through discussions that perhaps, god IS the devil.

god is both good AND evil. god is all emcompassing, he brought forth both the light AND the dark. why then does god need the devil to exist at all? why does god need an equal and opposite when god is both sides?
An argument I hear a lot from Christians is that the Devil MUST exist because for every good there is an equal and opposite force of evil, or else the universe would lose its balance. In this theory, God doesn't need an equal opposite because he contains everything. He is the good in the world, and he is also the bad in the world.
Granted, this theory would take a little bit of flexibility in your beliefs if you are a fundamentalist christian, but its just something that made me think.
I'm actually not even sure I believe it all, its just somthing to think about as a possibility.

More so, if God is both good and evil. does that then make him less of a god? or more?

adlemi

John D. said:
My girflriend (jane d) and i have had a revelation. it occured to us through discussions that perhaps, god IS the devil.

god is both good AND evil. god is all emcompassing, he brought forth both the light AND the dark. why then does god need the devil to exist at all? why does god need an equal and opposite when god is both sides?
An argument I hear a lot from Christians is that the Devil MUST exist because for every good there is an equal and opposite force of evil, or else the universe would lose its balance. In this theory, God doesn't need an equal opposite because he contains everything. He is the good in the world, and he is also the bad in the world.
Granted, this theory would take a little bit of flexibility in your beliefs if you are a fundamentalist christian, but its just something that made me think.
I'm actually not even sure I believe it all, its just somthing to think about as a possibility.

More so, if God is both good and evil. does that then make him less of a god? or more?
I'm sure you yourself would be greatly amazed if you hear this theory being uttered by God directly to your ears, wouldn't you? Did you come up with this theory out of what you only read and understand from the bible?

Peace4all

It Just occured to me that my next door neibors cat could be god!!! I mean why not it has both sides: good and evil: Sometimes it goes and entertines that old lady that lives next door. Other times it is evil and likes to go potty outside of the litter box...

:slap:
Give me 3

:cigar: Dont post after getting high

or the devil doesn't exist at all. you can't necessarily line the realm of God up with natural archetypal scenarios. (Good & Bad...Light & Dark...Hot & Cold), and I think the assumption that there is some devil to balance this "all-good" good force is overly "universe-like" and ever more the sign that humans have painted the truth over with their natural intuitive perspectives on how things work. let's not forget that God is supernatural and may not be anything close to these symmetrical paradigms. It's so obvious that the idea of God & Devil arose from mindsets fed to us through stories and natural things. i mean it's possible...but wow can't people see the parallels? especially considering the fact that we're dealing with ancient thought. to make any assumption about God at all though is bold. although i don't buy it i admire your open-mindedness. :clap

Super Universe

Defender of God
God evil? Not possible.

No balance is necessary in God's universe. It all can be good, and it all will be once our little disconnection from God experiment is finished.

Darkness is not a thing, it is not a creation, it is the absence of light. God is the light.

People see dualism: good/evil, light/dark, hot/cold... But in doing this they leave out so much middle ground, not everything is either good or bad, most is in between.

Nothing is created evil. Evil comes from selfish choice that only becomes possible when a being feels complete disconnection from God.

The devil of the bible is a number of things, those individuals involved with the Lucifer rebellion (Satan, Beelzebub, Caligastia...) and symbolic figureheads used to warn about selfish choice (serpent, temptation...).

People put their loyalties in this order: self, family, local community, and country. And depending on the person, God and a sense of connection to humanity in general is mixed in somewhere.

Here is what the order of loyalty should be: universe, world, country, local community, family, self.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Super Universe said:
God evil? Not possible.
If, as some people believe, God is omnipotent and omniscent, and created humans knowing that many of them would burn for all eternity in Hell, then God is indeed evil! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Super Universe

Defender of God
People get so hung up on all this omnipotent and omniscient stuff.

God doesn't need to threaten us. He knows that once we are free of the veil covering our eyes then we will remember who we are and where we come from.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Super Universe said:

Nothing is created evil. Evil comes from selfish choice that only becomes possible when a being feels complete disconnection from God.

I agree; God made us need to make choices - our making the 'wrong' choice is the creation by us of an evil deed.

Here is what the order of loyalty should be: universe, world, country, local community, family, self.
I'm not sure about that; with me, my wife and Children come first.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Super Universe said:
God doesn't need to threaten us.
No. And He didn't need to create humans with free will, knowing that many of them would burn for all eternity in Hell. But He chose to. And that is about as evil as it gets. :eek: :eek: :eek:

With power comes responsibility.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Super Universe said:
God evil? Not possible.
So God is limited now? :rolleyes: Not possible.

John D. said:

Abraxas.

Jane D.

Okay...last night, John D. and I may have been slightly tipsy and I think i would like to expand a bit on the theory that I was trying to get across.
In al actuality, I'm inclined to believe that there is not a requirement for everything to balance. However, I have heard this argument sooo many times when I tell people thta I don't believe in the devil. I always hear something like the devil is there for balance, and how could i believe in an all-good world if there are bad things happening? So, we were talking about it last night and it just came to me. Why in the world does god need the devil to balance him out when he's got all of his opposites within him!? He's kills, he gets jealous, he uses temptation on us, etc etc etc. But then I was even expanding on that thought and thinking. well if you're going to go that far, then why not just say that that god has his good and evil within him, and maybe the devil does to? And they do both exist, but neither of them are wholly good or wholly evil . Okay, I swear I'm not still drunk althouhj I may sound like it...
So that just made us think of that theory. Although I really don't believe it in the slightest, I thought it was an interesting to think about.

Super Universe

Defender of God
retrorich said:
No. And He didn't need to create humans with free will, knowing that many of them would burn for all eternity in Hell. But He chose to. And that is about as evil as it gets. :eek: :eek: :eek:

With power comes responsibility.

Burn in hell for all eternity? Really? Where would this place be then?

Do you also believe that a serpent talked? Would you believe a homeless man shouting on the street that the end of the world is tomorrow?

If you believe that the Creator of the universe would do such a thing then that is your choice but only you are responsible.

You cannot blame the bible for it's errors, it is simply a book written and re-written many times by humans.

kai

ragamuffin
Jane D. said:
Okay...last night, John D. and I may have been slightly tipsy and I think i would like to expand a bit on the theory that I was trying to get across.
In al actuality, I'm inclined to believe that there is not a requirement for everything to balance. However, I have heard this argument sooo many times when I tell people thta I don't believe in the devil. I always hear something like the devil is there for balance, and how could i believe in an all-good world if there are bad things happening? So, we were talking about it last night and it just came to me. Why in the world does god need the devil to balance him out when he's got all of his opposites within him!? He's kills, he gets jealous, he uses temptation on us, etc etc etc. But then I was even expanding on that thought and thinking. well if you're going to go that far, then why not just say that that god has his good and evil within him, and maybe the devil does to? And they do both exist, but neither of them are wholly good or wholly evil . Okay, I swear I'm not still drunk althouhj I may sound like it...
So that just made us think of that theory. Although I really don't believe it in the slightest, I thought it was an interesting to think about.
intetesting theory , as good as anyones i suppose