• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is love / God is a product of the brain

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I constantly hear that God is love. Well, I want to know what this really means. Love as we know it is a product of the brain, caused by chemical reactions and such, similar to drug addiction. If this is the case, it could mean God is an addictive chemical reaction in the brain. If this is not the case, what does "God is love" really mean?

Me Myself

Back to my username
those who believe God is love believe that the brain is not the source of our awareness. Awareness comes from the soul, brain may be seen as some sort of regulator if you will.

Love doesn´t come from the brain in our view, but it does seem as if it did.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
those who believe God is love believe that the brain is not the source of our awareness. Awareness comes from the soul, brain may be seen as some sort of regulator if you will.

If you don't mind, what do you think about the scientific bits of evidence recovered that it is part of the brain?

Premium Member
love not product of brain love is product of heart. if god love god is in hearts but god not exist so no

Blood comes from the heart, love comes from chemical reactions in the brain; scientific fact as far as I'm aware.

But why reject science, do you not believe God and science are compatible?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Brain can influence soul, soul can influence brain.

So yes, I guess I should have been more specific. You can affect the soul bia the brain, so you can use chemicals to cause love.

I haven´t researched much about it though.

Premium Member
But the brain makes belief in a soul for love unnecessary. That doesn't necessarily make a soul unnecessary though, so why reject it?

not it doesnt look why do people draw hearts if heart dont make love and emotions and heart make us consuous how the blood pump in the heart the shape it is

Blood comes from the heart, love comes from chemical reactions in the brain; scientific fact as far as I'm aware.

But why reject science, do you not believe God and science are compatible?

Premium Member
not it doesnt look why do people draw hearts if heart dont make love and emotions and heart make us consuous how the blood pump in the heart the shape it is

You're joking... Right? You are aware that a heart is symbolic for love, and it does not look like the drawings on valentines day cards, correct?

Me Myself

Back to my username
But the brain makes belief in a soul for love unnecessary. That doesn't necessarily make a soul unnecessary though, so why reject it?

I am not sure I am understanding.

I believe we have passions and potentials that make our souls(or spirits) be incarnated in our current physical forms.

I am sure we can still feel love when we have no physical body. I am not saying I have evidence of this, I am just stating my beliefs.

Premium Member
I am not sure I am understanding.

I believe we have passions and potentials that make our souls(or spirits) be incarnated in our current physical forms.

I am sure we can still feel love when we have no physical body. I am not saying I have evidence of this, I am just stating my beliefs.

Fair enough.

not it acttually real heart look like saw it on tv

:facepalm:

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
It seems more like love causes a chemical reaction, not the other way around. The stimulus happens first.

That being said, I still think love is fairly trivial and seems to amount to little more than satisfied desire according to the brain's chemical reactions to it. I'm certain religious experiences amount to the same thing.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Love is as close to selflessness as one can personally manage; the God we are talking about [the one who is always said to 'be love'], is anything but love.