• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is Everything?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
1710691279602.jpeg

My view is that is to know anything about God is like standing in total darkness, throwing a hammer in a random direction hoping to hit a flea, assuming that you did, so at least you know which direction God is in. Without having any evidence that you hit anything.

Or perhaps there is a different way of looking at it. If God is everything, then it doesn't matter which direction you throw the hammer. You're going to hit God. To paraphrase Saint Tomas, wherever the hammer landeth, there be God. So it doesn't matter what you claim, it be God you're talking about.

When it gets down to it, how do you think you know anything about God?

PureX

Veteran Member

My view is that is to know anything about God is like standing in total darkness, throwing a hammer in a random direction hoping to hit a flea, assuming that you did, so at least you know which direction God is in. Without having any evidence that you hit anything.

Or perhaps there is a different way of looking at it. If God is everything, then it doesn't matter which direction you throw the hammer. You're going to hit God. To paraphrase Saint Tomas, wherever the hammer landeth, there be God. So it doesn't matter what you claim, it be God you're talking about.

Why do you need to “know”?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Certainly, there is the physical all about us which we use science to learn about.
Yes...but I still am of the opinion that there is no way for humans to know anything intelligible about deity...all we've got is experience and reason...that may be enough to suspect, but won't be enough to know...

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Why do you need to “know”?

Why do I need you know your source of knowledge?
I don't. I'm asking, if folks would like to share.

For myself, I think it is good to ask why we think we know what we know.
What you discover about yourself can be enlightening.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Yes...but I still am of the opinion that there is no way for humans to know anything intelligible about deity...all we've got is experience and reason...that may be enough to suspect, but won't be enough to know...

I've found human reasoning is more often wrong than not and with no means of testing or validating that reasoning, we're back to throwing a hammer in the dark.

PureX

Veteran Member
We can’t ‘know God’.

Some people seem to be angry about this. And they respond by rejecting the existence of God because knowledge of that existence is being denied them.

But why do they think they should possess such knowledge?

That’s what I’m asking.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't think I know anything about God, or even if there is a God. All I really know is that it's probably not a good idea to throw a hammer in the dark.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
We can’t ‘know God’.

Some people seem to be angry about this. And they respond by rejecting the existence of God because knowledge of that existence is being denied them.

But why do they think they should possess such knowledge?

That’s what I’m asking.

Ok, maybe fodder for a different thread.
In this case I'm simply asking why do people believe they possess such knowledge.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
No, I think some people get angry at other people who pretend to know almost everything about God.

I'm not angry, I'm just curious about how folks go about it. The forums and the internet have plenty of folks making claims about God.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't!

How can the finite me comprehend the infinite?

It's glorious! :D

I cannot sum up my thoughts and feelings on this, because language does me no good. Some may view that as an 'out'; I really don't care.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I don't!

I cannot sum up my thoughts and feelings on this, because language does me no good. Some may view that as an 'out'; I really don't care.

You do think God is infinite.
Couldn't there exist a finite God? :shrug:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I don't!

Religion is acknowledging our experience with the incomprehensible mystery
Science is our investigation of that incomprehensible mystery
Art is our expression of wonder and appreciation for that incomprehensible mystery

Politics and business are how we gain money and power from our fellow beings in the incomprehensible mystery.:eek:
:D