• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Destroyed Himself?

idav

Being
Premium Member
I often think about God Debris, a though experiment by Scott Adams. If fist read many years ago.
http://nowscape.com/godsdebris.pdf
(its got really big letters so could be a fairly quick read.

When reading it I found that it went along the same lines of reasoning which made me become pantheist.

It proposes that in the beginning god was the singularity and being all powerful and all knowing, the only thing left to do is not exist and so god went explodey and we are left with Gods debris attempting to reconcile back to oneness.

The novela does get a bit into quantum mechanics and other weird things but in my personal view God is not destroyed but maybe thats the case. The story does make a compelling case and it is sometime hard to tell the facts from science fiction.

Thoughts?

allfoak

Alchemist
Since we live and move and have our being within the mind of God, then i would say that God must be expanding and growing, since that is what we are doing.
This is what i have observed.
I will leave the mechanics for the scientists to work out.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Since we live and move and have our being within the mind of God, then i would say that God must be expanding and growing, since that is what we are doing.
This is what i have observed.
I will leave the mechanics for the scientists to work out.
It says something to that affect in the pdf. That the reason we have consciousness is because of gods awareness, that we are all a part of the whole trying to reconcile itself.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
144 pages! I'm going with your few word synopsis. How does this address the issue of what consciousness is and what its source is. This might have some similarities to Advaita but I am not sure how the theory will make sense of consciousness.

idav

Being
Premium Member
144 pages! I'm going with your few word synopsis. How does this address the issue of what consciousness is and what its source is. This might have some similarities to Advaita but I am not sure how the theory will make sense of consciousness.
For consciousness it said, god is the consciousness or we wouldn't have personal awareness.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
I often think about God Debris, a though experiment by Scott Adams. If fist read many years ago.
http://nowscape.com/godsdebris.pdf
(its got really big letters so could be a fairly quick read.

When reading it I found that it went along the same lines of reasoning which made me become pantheist.

It proposes that in the beginning god was the singularity and being all powerful and all knowing, the only thing left to do is not exist and so god went explodey and we are left with Gods debris attempting to reconcile back to oneness.

The novela does get a bit into quantum mechanics and other weird things but in my personal view God is not destroyed but maybe thats the case. The story does make a compelling case and it is sometime hard to tell the facts from science fiction.

Thoughts?

Its possible, but I find no evidence to make it likely.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
I didn't say it was, it was an acknowledgment that much is out of humans
control, and that there are greater forces at work than any one or all of us.

There are of course forces outside of our control.

But that is not evidence for a deity controlling them.

idav

Being
Premium Member
There are of course forces outside of our control.

But that is not evidence for a deity controlling them.
Yet great deal of things would qualify as higher power than that of humans.

What we have evidence of is powers so great that the splitting of mere atoms can destroy cities.

We are tapping this higher power and many refuse to label it god but its right in front and all around and within.

Due to QM, I believe similar to the thought experiment, that the singularity leading to the big bang was all powerful and all knowing, and this from the beginning continues to be omnipresent.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason

What we have evidence of is powers so great that the splitting of mere atoms can destroy cities.

We are tapping this higher power and many refuse to label it god but its right in front and all around and within.

Due to QM, I believe similar to the thought experiment, that the singularity leading to the big bang was all powerful and all knowing, and this from the beginning continues to be omnipresent.

God: a superhuman being or spirit having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

Probably because it does not fit the definition.

idav

Being
Premium Member
God: a superhuman being or spirit having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

Probably because it does not fit the definition.
Well it wouldn't have that power so much anymore once it blew itself up, or it does because god is nature itself, and has a real roundabout way of accomplishing anything anymore.

Besides, there is no reason god has to be some sort of dude in the sky, I hardly think anyone believes like that anymore, at least that view is in the minority.

In fact the abrahmic god concept is not the only concept, there are hindu concepts similar to whats being discussed.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Well it wouldn't have that power so much anymore once it blew itself up, or it does because god is nature itself, and has a real roundabout way of accomplishing anything anymore.

Besides, there is no reason god has to be some sort of dude in the sky, I hardly think anyone believes like that anymore, at least that view is in the minority.

In fact the abrahmic god concept is not the only concept, there are hindu concepts similar to whats being discussed.

Im just saying that if you redefine what the word god is you can call it anything.

The same thing with the word unicorn..

idav

Being
Premium Member
Im just saying that if you redefine what the word god is you can call it anything.

The same thing with the word unicorn..
I didn't redefine god.

1. God
a.
A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principalobject of faith and worship in monotheistic religions.
b. The force, effect, or a manifestation or aspect of this being.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/god

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
I didn't redefine god.

1. God
a.
A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principalobject of faith and worship in monotheistic religions.
b. The force, effect, or a manifestation or aspect of this being.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/god

First of all I am curious as to how long you had to search for even one definition even remotely close to your claims/

Second of all, this does not show how natural automatic process is the force effect or manifestation of a perfect, omnipotent, omniscient, originator, and ruler of the universe.

idav

Being
Premium Member
First of all I am curious as to how long you had to search for even one definition even remotely close to your claims/

Second of all, this does not show how natural automatic process is the force effect or manifestation of a perfect, omnipotent, omniscient, originator, and ruler of the universe.
It took me like two seconds to find a theists definition of god rather than one coming from a non-theist.

Your assumption that it is an automatic natural process is unfounded but doesn't matter when the evidence points to power and knowledge that would have existed since the beginning.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
This I must read. Is it specifically the God's Debris section, or the entire pdf (which I might get around to sooner rather than later since this Scott Adams is a new name to me)?
Tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, tsunamis, those things tend to come to my mind. Even a simple bacteria and virus can have power over us, adjust and alter or lives, or even kill us. Except in the natural order of things, hierarchies only exist where they are projected. The natural flow doesn't know power. Things exist, act and react, and are subject to the current circumstances. A human is no match for a lion, but with a strong enough gun and with enough preparedness, the lion is no match for the human. One army of humans may overwhelm another, but the overwhelmed become the overwhelmers with a stronger bomb. Of course there are plenty of rocks hurtling through space that could destroy this entire planet (or even just add a "bug splatter" to the rock), but is this a higher power, or the natural order of things, which has no inherent order of hierarchy?