• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God convinced me he doesn't exist. What did he do to to convince you he does or doesn't exist??

Thrillobyte

I had believed in God for 60 years. For the next 10 years I reverted to believing it was some kind of deistic god or higher power, but most certainly this higher power was NOT the Christian pagan god, Yahweh (Yahweh in case you didn't know was a minor Canaanite god in a collection of Canaanite gods that included Asherah, Baal and headed by chief god, El. The early Hebrews living among the Canaanites picked up Yahweh and made him their chief god). Recently I've decided to just go full atheist. I've never had any proof God exists; I've never had any prayers answered; the world is cruel unjust place filled with violence and death; the Bible is riddled with errors and inaccuracies; there's no proof a Jesus of Nazareth ever existed. It just makes more sense to me that it was natural selection that created this marvelous universe. We are a tremendously complex accident and we are now destroying the earth with our avarice. In 100 years global warming will have killed off most of the earth's population and rendered everything but the north and south poles uninhabitable.

What convinced you God exists or doesn't exist?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I had believed in God for 60 years. For the next 10 years I reverted to believing it was some kind of deistic god or higher power, but most certainly this higher power was NOT the Christian pagan god, Yahweh (Yahweh in case you didn't know was a minor Canaanite god in a collection of Canaanite gods that included Asherah, Baal and headed by chief god, El. The early Hebrews living among the Canaanites picked up Yahweh and made him their chief god). Recently I've decided to just go full atheist. I've never had any proof God exists; I've never had any prayers answered; the world is cruel unjust place filled with violence and death; the Bible is riddled with errors and inaccuracies; there's no proof a Jesus of Nazareth ever existed. It just makes more sense to me that it was natural selection that created this marvelous universe. We are a tremendously complex accident and we are now destroying the earth with our avarice. In 100 years global warming will have killed off most of the earth's population and rendered everything but the north and south poles uninhabitable.

I believe God exists due to all the guidance i have recieved when I have asked God to guide me.
Ones i asked "God how can i reduce the suffering in my life" the answer arised a few days later when I opened different religious books just randomly, and each time, there was answers to how to reduce suffering in ones life.

To me that is a clear indication God did listen and answered.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I believe God exists due to all the guidance i have recieved when I have asked God to guide me.
Ones i asked "God how can i reduce the suffering in my life" the answer arised a few days later when I opened different religious books just randomly, and each time, there was answers to how to reduce suffering in ones life.

I've had instances like that. I try to be careful ascribing that to a God. It can lead to weird places. Like thinking people on the forum are talking as the Gods mouthpieces to you ;)

Yerda

Veteran Member
I had believed in God for 60 years. For the next 10 years I reverted to believing it was some kind of deistic god or higher power, but most certainly this higher power was NOT the Christian pagan god, Yahweh (Yahweh in case you didn't know was a minor Canaanite god in a collection of Canaanite gods that included Asherah, Baal and headed by chief god, El. The early Hebrews living among the Canaanites picked up Yahweh and made him their chief god).
It's just a word, is it not?

I mean that a minor god in a Canaanite collection has to be fundamentally different in nature from a world-creating one-true-god type, no?

I'm not trying to be argumentative because I know almost nothing about this. Just curious.

Thrillobyte said:
The personal god idea just doesn't make a lot of sense, imo.

Thrillobyte

I've asked God to guide me hundreds of times and never got even a peep from him. I could have imagined I heard something from him like all believers do but I've never had any tangible evidence he exists. There isn't a shred of evidence a son of god named Jesus ever existed, so why would I believe he would help me?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I've asked God to guide me hundreds of times and never got even a peep from him. I could have imagined I heard something from him like all believers do but I've never had any tangible evidence he exists. There isn't a shred of evidence a son of god named Jesus ever existed, so why would I believe he would help me?

No need to believe in Jesus to think there are Gods willing to help and assist you.

Just because you didn't receive an answer doesn't mean it wasn't given. Ever forget to check you email :p

Thrillobyte

It's just a word, is it not?

I mean that a minor god in a Canaanite collection has to be fundamentally different in nature from a world-creating one-true-god type, no?

I'm not trying to be argumentative because I know almost nothing about this. Just curious.

The personal god idea just doesn't make a lot of sense, imo.

It's all nonsense I now realize, but I'm wondering why these Christians have had all these marvelous experiences with God they brag about and yet their God completely ignores the other half of humans. God is a bigot it appears.