• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Concepts

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm curious how many and what kinds of concepts about god or the gods are represented by the members of this board. What does god or the gods mean to you? What makes something a deity?

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Everything in the universe is created or caused somehow. You have a father and mother. The chicken comes from an egg. The bike was made in a factory, from metal ores and rubber. That rain is falling because of moisture buildup.

A God is someone (not something) that does not have to be created, and cannot be destroyed.

"But but the Big Bang is the original event!" Then the Big Bang is your God. Pretty stupid God if you ask me, but whatever.

InChrist

Free4ever
God to me means the Creator of the universe and all life...

Thus says God the Lord, Who created the heavens and stretched them out, Who spread forth the earth and that which comes from it, Who gives breath to the people on it, And spirit to those who walk on it: Isaiah 42:5

Who created the heavens, Who is God, Who formed the earth and made it, Who has established it, Who did not create it in vain, Who formed it to be inhabited: “I am the Lord, and there is no other. Isaiah 45:18

Not a created god...

For all the gods of the peoples are idols, But the Lord made the heavens. 1 Chronicles 16:26

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I'm curious how many and what kinds of concepts about god or the gods are represented by the members of this board. What does god or the gods mean to you? What makes something a deity?

A entity, being, force with both absolute power, meaning they could do anything and absolute humility, meaning what they did do was done in the service of others...

If I came across someone like that, I'd be ok with considering them God.

Jumi

Dwelling outside the universe, yet the potential is present at each point where we are. There can always be heaven, where we exist, if we can only step into it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To call God a "something" is to use the language of duality rather than words of oneness. The words of oneness is that everything is God but we are wrapped in "veils" which prevents us from experiencing that truth.

To express this a bit differently than I have before here: "The Divine Beloved is Always with You, in You and around You. Know you are not separate from Him."

Cary Cook

The term God is ambiguous, even with the capital G. It can mean, among other things:
1. Supreme Being: that which created the first created thing
- - who may or may not be the same as
2. Creator of this universe
3. Creator of mankind
4. Judge of mankind
5. BibleGod - which can be subdivided into many different versions of BibleGod

Last edited:

Jeremiah Ames

The term God is ambiguous, even with the capital G. It can mean, among other things:
1. Supreme Being: that which created the first created thing
2. Creator of this universe
3. Creator of mankind
4. Judge of mankind
5. BibleGod - which can be subdivided into many different versions

I was following along until number 5.

I must disagree on the subdivision of versions in the Bible.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Everything in the universe is created or caused somehow.
Ah, so your god is outside the universe, right?

You have a father and mother.
Yes.
Your point?

The chicken comes from an egg.
where does the egg come from?
Chicken, right?

The bike was made in a factory, from metal ores and rubber.
Fair enough.
Though it is much more complicated than that.

That rain is falling because of moisture buildup.
Have you let Gravity know?

A God is someone (not something) that does not have to be created, and cannot be destroyed.
Interesting.
Please be so kind as to explain how you think this definition is helpful.

"But but the Big Bang is the original event!" Then the Big Bang is your God.
You really need to make up your mind.

Pretty stupid God if you ask me, but whatever.
*facepalm*

YOU are the one claiming god CANNOT be a something and has to be a someone, yet in the same post you proclaim a something god....
How can you be taken seriously?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

We (my Hindu sampradaya) see God (Siva) as having 3 perfections, not separate from each other. The most external is the Primal Soul, represented by Nataraja, the universal dancer, from which all form gets emanated. The second perfection is primal substance, the unifying force of all form, underlying substratum of all that exists, represented by Aardhinarisvara. The final and deepest is the causal formless Brahman, beyond all time, form, and space, the great mystery, the Cause, because of which none other could exist, and represented by the SivaLingam.

Last edited:

Axe Elf

Prophet
Overwhelming secular. So secular, I feel bad for all the religious folks whenever they post, because they inevitably get shot down by about 7 people.

You make me feel jealous--none of my posts about God have been shot down yet (although I suppose some have tried).

Axe Elf

Prophet
I do not believe in a trinity of Gods.

That's right; there are not three gods, there is one God with a triune nature. We can understand this by way of our own triune nature (being created in God's image and all)--with a body (Son), soul (Father) and Spirit. We are the only created beings to share that triune nature with God (animals have bodies and spirits, but no souls; angels/demons have spirits and souls, but no bodies).