• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'God became man so that man may become God'

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Incorrect. God became man so that man's sins could be atoned for on the cross. The whole notion of "man becoming God" is blasphemous and dangerous. At least from a Christian perspective.
Mormons are christians and their goal is to reach godhood. So which christian perspective are you speaking from?

james2ko

I hope this is the right place to post this (if not, please feel free to move it :)), but, I was wondering something, I've heard of the statement before - 'God became man so that man may become God', but, I'm not sure what it mean, does it mean that the goal of the Christian tradition is to evolve into beings like God,or become like Jesus, or does it mean something else?.

This is what Christ and the Apostles originally taught but, unfortunately, it was quickly snuffed out of the early church.

Hello all,
I don't see how God who is eternal and created all things can be likened to any thing except what He would create for that very purpose. Also, I think the way He has revealed Himself (I AM I AM) precludes us from saying that we can become God(who can become uncreated? Who can create all things? Who can exist from everlasting to everlasting?).
However, it is clear in Scripture that the purpose of God for mankind is that we become participants in the divine nature. Consider 2 Peter 1:3-4

His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.

The Apostles speak about the imperishable and glorified state that those in Christ anticipate when our bodies pass away, and it's important not to forget that this participation in the divine nature occurs because we become 'one flesh' with Christ. Even in this life while wrestling with sin, those in Christ participate in the divine nature by faith through God's promises, making it possible to live a life pleasing to God.

Looking forward,
QM

james2ko

Hello all,
I don't see how God who is eternal and created all things can be likened to any thing except what He would create for that very purpose. Also, I think the way He has revealed Himself (I AM I AM) precludes us from saying that we can become God(who can become uncreated? Who can create all things? Who can exist from everlasting to everlasting?).
However, it is clear in Scripture that the purpose of God for mankind is that we become participants in the divine nature. Consider 2 Peter 1:3-4

The Apostles speak about the imperishable and glorified state that those in Christ anticipate when our bodies pass away, and it's important not to forget that this participation in the divine nature occurs because we become 'one flesh' with Christ. Even in this life while wrestling with sin, those in Christ participate in the divine nature by faith through God's promises, making it possible to live a life pleasing to God.

Looking forward,
QM

No doubt about it...

Joh 10:34-36 Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, 'I SAID, "YOU ARE GODS" '? 35 If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), 36 do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'?​

Psa 82:6 I said, "You are gods, And all of you are children of the Most High.

Christian Gnosis

I hope this is the right place to post this (if not, please feel free to move it :)), but, I was wondering something, I've heard of the statement before - 'God became man so that man may become God', but, I'm not sure what it mean, does it mean that the goal of the Christian tradition is to evolve into beings like God, or become like Jesus, or does it mean something else?.

Also, and, I hope it's ok to ask another related question, but, what does it mean, when it's stated that Jesus was/is fully human and fully Divine?.

Thanks for any help, as I've been curious about these questions for awhile now, and really enjoy learning about different traditions and beliefs.

This something a Christian Gnostic, like myself, would not find hard to grasp. The Gnostic tradition is about transcending duality, including the various dualities of the carnal mind that seperates one from God. One does not become like God, one already is God, that is to say, God is in us, and we are in him. The Bible addresses this nicely with statements such as: "In him we live, move, and have our being. There is no male or female, Jew or Greek, slave or free, for all are one in Christ. One God and Father of all, who is through you all and in you all.

Bereanz

When Christians say the Jesus is fully human and fully divine, we are saying that He really was (and is) human, and that He really always was (and is) God. Why bother? Because our salvation would not be possible otherwise. God, by His holiness and love is obligated to kill every single one of us, because we are unholy, hateful sinners. This idea that humanity in its present state is essentially "bad" (though we were originally created good in the Garden), morally unable to climb up to "goodness," and deserving only of death and judgment is not very popular. But a Christian must start with an acute awareness of the fact that they deserve hell. Yet this presents God with a dilema: He loves us and does not want to condemn us--He did not create us for that end!

The only way He could save us from death would be to die in our place. Yet another problem: God cannot die... unless of course He takes on humanity. When we say that Jesus is "the Son of God" we do not mean that God had a kid with some girl (like Zeus or some other pagan god), but that Jesus is the embodiment of God in human flesh (Colossians 2:9-10, Hebrews 1:3).

The idea that "man may become God" may indeed be an idea Christian tradition (it is definitely a Mormon idea), but I would argue it is anything but a Biblical idea. I think Moses would agree along with Paul. Dare I invoke Jesus too? Yes, He would strongly disagree with any Christian trying to become God, and instead remind him the He alone is God and no one else. Becoming "gods" is what got Adam and Eve in trouble in the first place (Genesis 3), not just bad fruit.

But remember this: God has already made us like Him, we are made in His image. This is a mystery, but true. And He certainly calls us to "be holy, for [He] the LORD your God [is] holy" Lev. 19:2. The NT affirms this standard, which none of us will ever meet, but it also affirms this: "[Abraham] believed the LORD, and he counted it to him as righteousness" (Genesis 15:6).

So you could say instead that God became man in order to make man holy like Himself. We receive our righteousness from God through trusting in the sacrifice of Jesus. If you persist in being Spiritual, as you say that is your religion, then it is like you are trying to approach God with your holiness or righteousness, and He will not accept that at judgment. I hope you follow Abraham's course instead! :)

Awesome explaination :bow:

paolops181

God rules!
- 'God became man so that man may become God', but, I'm not sure what it mean, does it mean that the goal of the Christian tradition is to evolve into beings like God, or become like Jesus, or does it mean something else?.
the goal is this, "he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment—to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ."
-Eph.1:9-10NIV

Also, and, I hope it's ok to ask another related question, but, what does it mean, when it's stated that Jesus was/is fully human and fully Divine?
Christ is human in nature & not God. -Jhn.8:40NKJV[/quote]

Bereanz

John 8:42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

Jesus Christ is God the Son (God) John 8:40 does not refute that Jesus was not fully man and fully God. It simply shows His fully man part. i.e fully human.

One can't take one scripture like this and claim that it means Christ is Human and not God, well I'll rephrase that, off course one can, but it doesn't make it the truth. The Doctrine of the Son (God the Son), The Doctrine of the Holy Spirt, and the Doctrine of the Father are all established biblical doctrines each containing hundreds of Old and New testament scripture references. Taking one scripture out the 30,000 plus scriptures in the bible is not an accurate form of Biblical exegesis or hermenuetics. But sadly, it's a practise that all of the cults (false teachers) are adept in. I'm not saying anyone who posts something contrary to sound, accepted, established and agreed orthodox biblical doctrine in a forum such as this is a false teacher, but they may have been taught or are being taught by someone who is.

Last edited:
I believe in Arianism.

:)

Jesus is not God the Father, but he is divine, because he was created by Jehovah in the very beginning, and therefore the 'Firstborn of Creation.'

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The idea that "man may become God" may indeed be an idea Christian tradition (it is definitely a Mormon idea), but I would argue it is anything but a Biblical idea. I think Moses would agree along with Paul. Dare I invoke Jesus too? Yes, He would strongly disagree with any Christian trying to become God, and instead remind him the He alone is God and no one else. Becoming "gods" is what got Adam and Eve in trouble in the first place (Genesis 3), not just bad fruit.
No Latter-day Saint believes that man may become "God." God already exists; how could we become Him?

The Bible actually does teach that we can become like God, though, and there is considerable evidence that the doctrine of deification was taught for quite some time after the Savior’s death, and accepted as orthodox. Some of the most well-known and respected of the early Christian Fathers made statements that were remarkably close to the statements LDS leaders have made. For example, in the second century, Saint Irenaeus said, “If the Word became a man, it was so men may become gods.” He also posed this question: “Do we cast blame on Him (God) because we were not made gods from the beginning, but were at first created merely as men, and than later as Gods?” At about the same period of time, Saint Clement made this statement: “The Word of God became a man so that you might learn from a man how to become a god.” And Saint Justin Martyr agreed, saying that men are “deemed worthy of becoming gods and of having power to become sons of the highest.” Some two centuries later, Athanasius explained that “the Word was made flesh in order that we might be enabled to be made gods. He became man that we might be made divine.” And, finally, Augustine, said, “But He that justifies also deifies, for by justifying he makes sons of God. For he has given them power to become the sons of God. If then we have been made sons of God, we have also been made gods.”

Even the noted Christian theologian, C.S. Lewis, said much the same thing in his book "Mere Christianity." He was an Anglican and had what I would describe as a virtually identical understanding of this doctrine to what Mormons believe today. He said:

“The command Be ye perfect is not idealistic gas. Nor is it a command to do the impossible. He is going to make us into creatures that can obey that command. He said (in the Bible) that we were “gods” and He is going to make good His words. If we let Him – for we can prevent Him, if we choose – He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess, dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine, a bright stainless mirror which reflects back to God perfectly (though, of course, on a smaller scale) His own boundless power and delight and goodness. The process will be long and in parts very painful; but that is what we are in for. Nothing less. He meant what He said."

This does not mean we will be equal to God. He will always be our God and we will always worship Him. Furthermore, nothing we could possibly do on our own could exalt us to the level of deity. It is only through the will and grace of God that man is given this potential. And "with God, nothing is impossible."

Last edited:

Bereanz

:areyoucra

As in the heresy of Arius. Arianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I am an Arian. Not an 'Aryan.' Good try though! :facepalm:

"Ye heard how I said to you, I go away, and I come unto you. If ye loved me, ye would have rejoiced, because I go unto the Father: for the Father is greater than I."
-- John

At least by admitting you adhere to heresy you accept your beliefs are contrary to accepted orthrdox belief within the body of Christ, so I'm happy enough with your confession/profession of belief. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

gzusfrk

Christian
I hope this is the right place to post this (if not, please feel free to move it :)), but, I was wondering something, I've heard of the statement before - 'God became man so that man may become God', but, I'm not sure what it mean, does it mean that the goal of the Christian tradition is to evolve into beings like God, or become like Jesus, or does it mean something else?.

Also, and, I hope it's ok to ask another related question, but, what does it mean, when it's stated that Jesus was/is fully human and fully Divine?.

Thanks for any help, as I've been curious about these questions for awhile now, and really enjoy learning about different traditions and beliefs.
One of the mysterys of the NT is that the two shall become one.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
One of the mysterys of the NT is that the two shall become one.
Haven't you ever seen a greeting card for a newlywed couple that says, "Now you two are one"? It's not really all that much of a mystery. Two physically distinct individuals can become "one" without turning into a single individual. They can become "one" in will, purpose, mind and heart. They can be perfectly unitied in their goals as aspirations, never at odds with one another and always thinking and acting in perfect harmony.

sniper762

trinitaruans believe that "god became man" through jesus and jesus said that what he does, we can do also.

so, if jesus is god, then we can be like him, therefore we can become god also.

make sense?

Bereanz

trinitaruans believe that "god became man" through jesus and jesus said that what he does, we can do also.

so, if jesus is god, then we can be like him, therefore we can become god also.

make sense?

As Jesus was one with God we can be too, but only when we are grafted into the vine through Faith in who Jesus Christ was and is. And that is God in the flesh, we will never be God in the flesh, but we can be in Christ through faith.

The deciples followed Christ for years not knowing He was God, his half brothers Jude and James lived with Him for decades not knowing He was God, but after he was raised from the dead in bodily form (to 500 witnesses) all believed He was God. No one is going to believe either until they can see this. This is what a believer/a Christian is, someone who who has put their faith in the reality of this histrorical event i.e that Jesus Christ was and is God that He was an acceptable sacrifice to pay for our sinful condition. And we see this wonderful and marvelous event as it is faithfully and accuratly recorded by Holy men of God as they where guided by the Holy Spirit of God to write it down for our benefit and the benefit of all future generations.

Last edited:

jojo50

I've heard of the statement before - 'God became man so that man may become God', but, I'm not sure what it mean, does it mean that the goal of the Christian tradition is to evolve into beings like God, or become like Jesus, or does it mean something else?. Also, and, I hope it's ok to ask another related question, but, what does it mean, when it's stated that Jesus was/is fully human and fully Divine?.Thanks for any help, as I've been curious about these questions for awhile now, and really enjoy learning about different traditions and beliefs.

God doesn't want us to learn traditions or different beliefs, he wants us to learn the TRUTH!,(Rom.10:2 -For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge). Jesus was God,as in the Father, and he never said he was…MAN ,(ministers), says he is,wrong! Though true the SON of GOD did become human,(man). Humans will NEVER become a GOD or become equal to God. But we can try our best to become like Jesus. Who was one of the best,if NOT the best role model.

Also you’re trying to learn,you should NEVER ask, if it’s alright to ask. It doesn’t matter what man feels,it’s what God ,(Jehovah),wants! This is why you’re here…seeking, we should be here for either that reason,or to teach those who’s seeking.
Jesus once he became human,he felt fear,in Heaven,being a spiritual being,he feared nothing. NOT saying he was afraid on man,he wasn’t. but he became afraid of what was to come concerning him, and he was sad,maybe even a little regretful.

Whatever his feelings, it lead him to speak with his Father. (Matt.26:38,29 Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me. And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt). peace