• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and paradoxes

Philip Parish

If God is omnipotent, He can do anything. Therefore, He can make a boulder so heavy even he can't life it. This impossibility is a classic paradox regarding omnipotence. Because God cannot create this theoretical "God boulder," He is not omnipotent. Yet the Bible makes it quite clear that He is omnipotent...He did, after all, create the universe. Therefore, if the Bible is God's word, then He either lied about His omnipotence or He doesn't know that He isn't omnipotent. This leads to two other possibilities:
1: God isn't omnibenevolent. Omnibenevolent means "always good," which God is supposed to be. Yet, if He told the writers of the Bible that He is omnipotent and He knows He isn't, then He is a liar, and is therefore committing a sin and violating one of His own commandments.
2: God isn't omniscient. If God said that He was omnipotent without knowing that he wasn't, then he isn't all-knowing, or omniscient.

This paradox probably already exists, but I just thought of it and decided to post it to hear your thoughts on it.

Sonofason

If God is omnipotent, He can do anything. Therefore, He can make a boulder so heavy even he can't life it. This impossibility is a classic paradox regarding omnipotence. Because God cannot create this theoretical "God boulder," He is not omnipotent. Yet the Bible makes it quite clear that He is omnipotent...He did, after all, create the universe. Therefore, if the Bible is God's word, then He either lied about His omnipotence or He doesn't know that He isn't omnipotent. This leads to two other possibilities:
1: God isn't omnibenevolent. Omnibenevolent means "always good," which God is supposed to be. Yet, if He told the writers of the Bible that He is omnipotent and He knows He isn't, then He is a liar, and is therefore committing a sin and violating one of His own commandments.
2: God isn't omniscient. If God said that He was omnipotent without knowing that he wasn't, then he isn't all-knowing, or omniscient.

This paradox probably already exists, but I just thought of it and decided to post it to hear your thoughts on it.

Welcome to RF Philip
No, omnipotent does not necessarily mean that you can do anything.
It can also mean "ruler of the universe"
Strong's Greek: 3841. παντοκράτωρ (pantokratór) -- almighty

I certainly have not seen a definition that states that the meaning of omnipotent is "he can do anything". But I have seen a definition that states: "having virtually unlimited authority or influence"
Definition of OMNIPOTENT
Wow, this is significantly different from what you said. I wonder which meaning John intended when he wrote Revelation.

Another definition of omnipotent is: "having unlimited power"
omnipotent - Dictionary Definition
That doesn't necessarily mean he can do "anything".

Yet I wonder. Perhaps God can create a boulder that he can't lift, yet a boulder that he can lift. I suggest he can create a boulder he can't lift, and I bet he can lift a boulder he can't make. And I would suppose that the reason he can't do it is because he won't, and that has absolutely nothing at all to do with power. Sometimes we can't do stuff because we won't. And that is a matter of conscience. Power is something else.

Last edited:

Kemosloby

Premium Member

Suppose ominipotent (all powerful) meant having all the power there is to have. Some powers just don't exist.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi Philip

Interesting question and welcome.

I'm new here too.

One view is that God is an unknowable essence and He has Manifested Himself through the likes Jesus and Budha to educate us.

Can the spider capture the mighty phoenix? Can a baby in the womb comprehend life in this world? Can the finite mind grasp the infinite?

Its all words to gain a glimpse of the unknowable or non existent dependant on your perspective.

For me this is an opportunity to explore the mystical reality of this life with others from very different views.

Having said that I'm uncertain as to whether an internet discussion group is the best place for that.

Hope that helps. Best Wishes

Last edited:

Aiviu

He created boulders that He is willing to love but the boulders are free to deny it. Not because He cant love them but because they are given the choice to reply it, voluntarly. The paradox kept alive from the boulders as long as they are not willing. His omnipotence is far more powerful and peaceful then any violent interventions towards the boulders. "Maybe."

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Welcome to RF!

I think you have some good points. I also think you have not listed all of your assumptions. I have a body, and when it hurts I know immediately. I am benevolent towards it, but I allow some pain. I am both omnipresent and omnibenevolent in this body, but I am not very benevolent. I'm moderately benevolent. I'm also only moderately omnipresent.

rusra02

Premium Member
I believe Jehovah created the billions of galaxies with uncountable billions of stars. As Isaiah 40:26 affirms; "Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, Not one of them is missing." That convinces me his power is more than sufficient to fulfill his purposes.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

as for all powerful.....almighty

First He created the universe.....and that reality has rules
ask Him to break the rules because you want proof......and no
won't happen

so don't step off a high ledge thinking heaven will send an angel to catch you
no stones turn to bread

see if you can figure it out.....
it all moves like it should

I have solved the paradox of the stone. God is an infinite building. That means he can create a stone whose weight is increasing constantly. Only God can lift it because only he has the infinite strength required. Some might say he can't lift it because the stone is always getting heavier so even god himself would have to lift for time and all eternity. He is never finished with the task of lifting it.

neologist

Word salad.
Let's talk about omniscience.
God's ability to know all things does not imply a necessity.
Example:
You are reading a whodunit. You are capable of reading the last page.... Shall I go on? . . .
Be careful that your clever philosophy does not lead to endless sophistry.

idav

Being
Premium Member

God is a benevolent creator in all multiverse scenarios which covers most contradictions being possible.

Of course god can make a boulder too large or heavy to lift at the expense of being god. That's not something against omnipotence, can and should are two different things.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
This paradox probably already exists,
This reminds of the Babelfish story from HHGTTG:
Now, it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some have chosen to see it as the final proof of the NON-existence of God. The argument goes something like this:

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that You exist, and so therefore, by Your own arguments, You don't. QED"

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

Take away? Please watch out for zebra crossings.