• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and Ethics

swivel

Does "Good" and "Evil" exist outside of God, or because of God?

By this I mean: Are good things objectively good, and God adheres to them because He is good? ~Or~ Did God arbitrarily choose some things to be "good" and other things to be "evil", and being good just means aligning to His whim?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
If the cosmic dualism of Good/ Evil exists (which for the record, I do not believe) it must be the former.

If Good is simply God's whim, then the concept is meaningless.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Good and evil are personal decisions. Morals are not starfish. You cannot grab them with your hands. Many people on this forum call good what I would call evil. It is all how you look at it.

Abram

Abraham
Good can exsist without bad, bad cannot exsist without good. Something can never be bad without first being good.
Bad is only good ruined. You can't have old moldy food without it first being good. You can't pervert sex unless it was good to start with.
Anything can be good just for the sake of being good. But nothing can just be bad for the sake of being bad.

Good and evil are not opposites, bad is only good corupted.

And it has nothing to do with how you look at it. Good is always good. Its never been okay to say hatefull things, kill, rape, steal, lie. They all place a burden on the one who does them, and hurts those around them. Every one in this world would rather be apreciated as opposed to hated, everyone.