• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Go directly into Graduate school, or go into a trade?

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Well, I went on ahead and applied to a few projects via Americorps.

The only thing I'm worried about is that, while my application page said "complete" (and I wasn't allowed to apply to projects unless it said so), my reference page still didn't look like my references were actually informed (it said "no" under "completed" next to their names).

Something to be worried about or no? I'm probably going to contact Americorps and ask them about it if nothing changes.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Ran across this article and thought of you, StarryNightshade. The unemployment rate of the college educated graduate over the high school grad was quite compelling.

The Rising Cost of Not Going to College | Pew Research Center

Thanks for the link. :)

I most definitely am going to finish college (I do only have one more semester, after all), and I'm hoping that my Bach degree gets me some semblance of a good job. I'm just debating what I want to do *after* college. So far, finding a steady job and paying off debt seems to be the foreseeable plan.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It really depends on you and your situation. Myself, debt be damned because I cannot make it at a "regular" job for much longer than a year before I get too ****** at the work environment (rude customers, lying bosses, wages that don't allow me to fully support myself anyways) and quit. Even if I die with a ton of debt, it's better than being stuck at a crappy job having to wear stupid uniforms, take customers cussing at you and degrading you, and having to work under a ton of stress just so I can struggle to barely get by. Even a low paying teaching job at a college or university will give me more money than I've ever made, and at least put me in an environment that is much more comfortable than a hot and greasy fast food joint or a dusty, dingy, bleak warehouse. And I won't be baking under a hot sun doing construction or roofing anymore, which is a definite plus. And with the two jobs I have at school, the amount of effort required is very little for the wage I make, especially when compared to my two jobs that paid a quarter more, one which was a managers position with all of its extra hours and responsibilities and the other requiring picking whole cases at a warehouse for 8 hours a night. And nobody has cussed me out at either job, and I have not been filled with a sense of dread, regret, or embarrassment from these jobs, which is worth far more than any dollar amount. I really don't even mind if I forget to take my name tag off and announce to the world that I am a student assistant, rather than my usual approach that the uniform goes on just before I go into work to clock in and comes off as soon (if not sooner) as I am clocked out.
And because I'm trans, being employed in higher education is one of my best chances for employment, so again, debt be damned. Even if my higher degrees only give me poverty wages, at least my job wont be a constant reminder that I am on the lower rungs of society.
Have you looked into studying abroad? Pretty much anywhere is cheaper than America, if not free, and unless you have money to sink into a private Ivy League education, the quality of your education isn't really going to suffer. Canada is much cheaper than America, and Germany just recently done away with fees and tuition. Myself, I am going to Canada for grad school, hopefully University of Victoria.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
It really depends on you and your situation. Myself, debt be damned because I cannot make it at a "regular" job for much longer than a year before I get too ****** at the work environment (rude customers, lying bosses, wages that don't allow me to fully support myself anyways) and quit. Even if I die with a ton of debt, it's better than being stuck at a crappy job having to wear stupid uniforms, take customers cussing at you and degrading you, and having to work under a ton of stress just so I can struggle to barely get by. Even a low paying teaching job at a college or university will give me more money than I've ever made, and at least put me in an environment that is much more comfortable than a hot and greasy fast food joint or a dusty, dingy, bleak warehouse. And I won't be baking under a hot sun doing construction or roofing anymore, which is a definite plus. And with the two jobs I have at school, the amount of effort required is very little for the wage I make, especially when compared to my two jobs that paid a quarter more, one which was a managers position with all of its extra hours and responsibilities and the other requiring picking whole cases at a warehouse for 8 hours a night. And nobody has cussed me out at either job, and I have not been filled with a sense of dread, regret, or embarrassment from these jobs, which is worth far more than any dollar amount. I really don't even mind if I forget to take my name tag off and announce to the world that I am a student assistant, rather than my usual approach that the uniform goes on just before I go into work to clock in and comes off as soon (if not sooner) as I am clocked out.
And because I'm trans, being employed in higher education is one of my best chances for employment, so again, debt be damned. Even if my higher degrees only give me poverty wages, at least my job wont be a constant reminder that I am on the lower rungs of society.
Have you looked into studying abroad? Pretty much anywhere is cheaper than America, if not free, and unless you have money to sink into a private Ivy League education, the quality of your education isn't really going to suffer. Canada is much cheaper than America, and Germany just recently done away with fees and tuition. Myself, I am going to Canada for grad school, hopefully University of Victoria.

I hear ya. I have a job in retail, and I hate it. Like previously mentioned, I'm hoping having an actual degree will open a few doors (even if they are small ones). I don't need an extravagant job; just one to pay off my debt, pay bills, and live a somewhat comfortable life.

As for schools? Well, I do want to go to Graduate school someday, but I want to pay off some of this debt and relax a bit before I go back for 2 more years. I have considered looking into Denmark or Norway

Scott C.

Just one guy
My advice is for you to focus now on the path that will prepare you for the career that you believe will bring you the most personal challenge, satisfaction, enjoyment, and fulfillment. If that career is in a trade, go for it. If that career is in a field where your Bachelor's will work, go for it. If that career requires a Master's, then go for the Master's now and don't look back.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I hear ya. I have a job in retail, and I hate it. Like previously mentioned, I'm hoping having an actual degree will open a few doors (even if they are small ones). I don't need an extravagant job; just one to pay off my debt, pay bills, and live a somewhat comfortable life.

As for schools? Well, I do want to go to Graduate school someday, but I want to pay off some of this debt and relax a bit before I go back for 2 more years. I have considered looking into Denmark or Norway
You're in the school mode now, just get it done with now. What really is just two more years (I've read alot that it's less in Canada, about 1 1/2 years) when you have the rest of your life to, hopefully, enjoy the benefits of just getting it done now? If you owe 10,000 now, and you'll owe 20,000 from grad school alone, you'll still be paying 30,000 even if it's now or later. Of course there is interest to be paid off, but if you ask me even having a million dollar debt is worth it just to get out of the world low paying jobs that degrade your dignity, make you feel like a piece of ****, make you feel worthless, make you go home crying, and offer you no hope of tomorrow because today is filled with too much ****.
Because you are going into psychology, I would look for a clinic where you can get your feet in the door by getting employed in any position you can. Or try to find any other opportunities that may be opened by having anything to do with psychology. I once met a guy who offered me a job in his advertising department just because I was majoring in psychology at the time. Maybe I should have taken it, but IMO there are many advertising techniques that should be considered illegal, highly questionable and immoral at the minimum (this particular guy mentioned that he liked psych majors for the edge they provided him). If someone doesn't want something, I really don't want to convince them otherwise.

Last edited:

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
You're in the school mode now, just get it done with now. What really is just two more years (I've read alot that it's less in Canada, about 1 1/2 years) when you have the rest of your life to, hopefully, enjoy the benefits of just getting it done now? If you owe 10,000 now, and you'll owe 20,000 from grad school alone, you'll still be paying 30,000 even if it's now or later. Of course there is interest to be paid off, but if you ask me even having a million dollar debt is worth it just to get out of the world low paying jobs that degrade your dignity, make you feel like a piece of ****, make you feel worthless, make you go home crying, and offer you no hope of tomorrow because today is filled with too much ****.
Because you are going into psychology, I would look for a clinic where you can get your feet in the door by getting employed in any position you can. Or try to find any other opportunities that may be opened by having anything to do with psychology. I once met a guy who offered me a job in his advertising department just because I was majoring in psychology at the time. Maybe I should have taken it, but IMO there are many advertising techniques that should be considered illegal, highly questionable and immoral at the minimum (this particular guy mentioned that he liked psych majors for the edge they provided him). If someone doesn't want something, I really don't want to convince them otherwise.

Again, I hear ya. :)

My thing is, I know what I want to do, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I can easily see myself doing a handful of things after my Bach in Psych:

1.) Getting a certificate in something like Human or Office services and going with that. At least until I can fully settle down in life and can afford to go into a Masters program.

2.) Getting a Masters degree online though an established/accredited school; NOT through a for-profit institution (like DeVry or Phoenix).

3.) Getting a Post-Bach in something.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Starry here, with another question. I figured it would be better to post here than to make another thread.

As far as my plans go, I think it's best for me, at this moment, to get my Bachelors and gain some real work experience; as well as paying of this debt. As such, I've thought about getting a certification to go along with my BA in Psych to aid in my job search.

Some I've thought about are Human/Social services, CNA, Pharmacy Tech, etc.

One I'm particularly interested in is CNA, being that my Psych degree could give employers the impression that I know how to work with people. My question is:

Can one study on their own and take the CNA license exam on their own, or do they actually have to go to classes for it?

Hello from a fellow psychology undergrad! stumbled across your post and was happily surprised to find another haha! if you fancy helping a fellow student in their third year project please fill in my research survey! its about religion and mental health! it take about 15 minutes but if you complete it you can be entered into a prize draw to win 1/8 £10 amazon vouchers! or whatever that equates to in dollars! I'd really appreciate the help from anyone reading this as its been super difficult recruiting for my research! If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask me! :)

MD

qualiaphile
Starry here, with another question. I figured it would be better to post here than to make another thread.

As far as my plans go, I think it's best for me, at this moment, to get my Bachelors and gain some real work experience; as well as paying of this debt. As such, I've thought about getting a certification to go along with my BA in Psych to aid in my job search.

Some I've thought about are Human/Social services, CNA, Pharmacy Tech, etc.

One I'm particularly interested in is CNA, being that my Psych degree could give employers the impression that I know how to work with people. My question is:

Can one study on their own and take the CNA license exam on their own, or do they actually have to go to classes for it?

Is the CNA, a nurse assistant? Don't do it, trust me. Do the RN and move from there. CNA's do very basic work, cleaning up after patients and taking vitals, which are repetitive things to do.

Masters are useless unless there is strong evidence it will get you a better job. If you are healthy and good with your hands a trade will take you much much farther in life than graduate school ever will.

You can always learn all the stuff they teach in grad school online for your own personal interests. My friends who went to trade school make close to six figures and love their life, working outdoors, making good money and 0 debt. My friends who went to grad school are unemployed or make peanuts.

Last edited:

Midnight Rain

Hey everyone. I have a question for you all.

I'm going to graduate with my Bachelors in Psychology this semester. I don't regret my decision to pursue this degree, but I have accumulated a little bit of debt (not as much as other undergrads). My original plan was to go directly into Graduate school, but that would mean I would go into, at least, $40,000 more into debt. This would be while living on my own (meaning rent), as well as trying to earn a living while studying.

However, I'm beginning to have doubt. I eventually do want to pursue my Masters, but a part of me is considering going into a trade to pay of my debt from college first (which is about $15,000; the average undergrad has about $25-$30,000).

What do you think? Go into a trade/apprenticeship first and pay off debt, or go on ahead and tackle Graduate school head on? Or, go into a trade and work while in Graduate school?

Just FYI:

1.) I currently live in Georgia, but I don't plan on staying here; for either school or for a trade (if I do that route).

2.) Given my strengths and weaknesses, I think something like Carpentry, Painting, or general trade work would be beneficial.
I would continue and get your masters. Any trade you try to get into right now will not pay even half of what you would make if you got your master's Degree.You will get the debt eventually anyway so might as well make it in one foul swoop. Did you get a subsidized student loan? If you did then it is in your best interest to stay in school to put off the interest rates.