• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Go directly into Graduate school, or go into a trade?

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Hey everyone. I have a question for you all.

I'm going to graduate with my Bachelors in Psychology this semester. I don't regret my decision to pursue this degree, but I have accumulated a little bit of debt (not as much as other undergrads). My original plan was to go directly into Graduate school, but that would mean I would go into, at least, $40,000 more into debt. This would be while living on my own (meaning rent), as well as trying to earn a living while studying.

However, I'm beginning to have doubt. I eventually do want to pursue my Masters, but a part of me is considering going into a trade to pay of my debt from college first (which is about $15,000; the average undergrad has about $25-$30,000).

What do you think? Go into a trade/apprenticeship first and pay off debt, or go on ahead and tackle Graduate school head on? Or, go into a trade and work while in Graduate school?

Just FYI:

1.) I currently live in Georgia, but I don't plan on staying here; for either school or for a trade (if I do that route).

2.) Given my strengths and weaknesses, I think something like Carpentry, Painting, or general trade work would be beneficial.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
How passionate/interested are you in working in psychology? If it really suits you and it's the profession you identify with and picture yourself having a career in long term, my recommendation is to keep going and start the masters program. My experience personally and with many people I've known through the years is that if you take a year or two off from school you don't go back. Life gets in the way. How much more schooling do you need?

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
How passionate/interested are you in working in psychology? If it really suits you and it's the profession you identify with and picture yourself having a career in long term, my recommendation is to keep going and start the masters program. My experience personally and with many people I've known through the years is that if you take a year or two off from school you don't go back. Life gets in the way. How much more schooling do you need?

Only 2 more once I (theoretically) start graduate school.

I asked this question, because while I would love to ultimately work in a social science field, but there are a few things to consider:

1.) The school I'm shooting for is a UU seminary. I originally wanted to go for a Masters in Divinity, but realized that I didn't want to be a minister. However, the school I'm looking into (Starr King school of the ministry) has a program called a Masters in Social Change that I think would be perfect for me.

Master of Arts in Social Change (MASC) | Starr King

2.) However, there are three things. One, the school is private, so it is pretty expensive. Two, the school is near San Francisco, which per capita is the most expensive area in the US. Three, while the job may be fulfilling, will it be enough to sustain a livelihood? As well as paying back loans?

3.) There are scholarships involved, but they are mainly catered to people who go for the Divinity degree.

4.) With a trade/apprenticeship, I could theoretically make enough money to pay back my loans relatively quick, and make enough to put towards tuition.

5.) Yes, there are other schools, but this one just seems like a perfect fit. It's non-standardized, fully accredited, has a good reputation as far as seminaries are concerned, offers housing and financial aid for it's students, has students go out and gain real world experience while taking classes, etc.

Wirey

Fartist
Hey everyone. I have a question for you all.

I'm going to graduate with my Bachelors in Psychology this semester. I don't regret my decision to pursue this degree, but I have accumulated a little bit of debt (not as much as other undergrads). My original plan was to go directly into Graduate school, but that would mean I would go into, at least, $40,000 more into debt. This would be while living on my own (meaning rent), as well as trying to earn a living while studying.

However, I'm beginning to have doubt. I eventually do want to pursue my Masters, but a part of me is considering going into a trade to pay of my debt from college first (which is about $15,000; the average undergrad has about $25-$30,000).

What do you think? Go into a trade/apprenticeship first and pay off debt, or go on ahead and tackle Graduate school head on? Or, go into a trade and work while in Graduate school?

Just FYI:

1.) I currently live in Georgia, but I don't plan on staying here; for either school or for a trade (if I do that route).

2.) Given my strengths and weaknesses, I think something like Carpentry, Painting, or general trade work would be beneficial.

Make a list of everyone you know who left school 'temporarily' and went back. Now, make a list of all the ones who never returned.

Go to graduate school while you can. And when you're rich, remember to tip.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Psychology majors with a BA are a dime a dozen, and those with a masters fair only somewhat better. Fact is, there's just not that much call for non-doctoral psych majors that are paying a living wage. So, my advice is to put your book learnin' behind you and find a find a trade that really appeals to you, and go for that.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Why not join the military? Maybe go guard or reserve. I got two years of my BA and one year of my MSW paid for by joining the Air Force. Plus they pay 75% of your tuition if you attend classes while you are in. Or at least they used to...

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I'd research different social science master's programs and the job outlook for each and go from there. What if you start a trade program and don't like it? You've already invested a ton of time and money going in one direction and if it still interests you, I think that's the most logical direction to go.

Edit: Don't take time off though!!! Just do it! :D

Wirey

Fartist
Why not join the military? Maybe go guard or reserve. I got two years of my BA and one year of my MSW paid for by joining the Air Force. Plus they pay 75% of your tuition if you attend classes while you are in. Or at least they used to...

Yeah, but now you get to be shot in the ME.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I prescribe:
- Get a job now.
- Pay off debts.
- Get masters going to school part time, or save money to do it full time.

Suggestions:
- Unless you're dead set on the poor decision of eventually getting a PhD in psychology,
get a masters in different field. A broader education would be more valuable (& more
interesting).
- Avoid these fields:
Women's studies
Film
Victimization studies
Ablative materials (not useful with the current state of the space program)

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I prescribe:
- Get a job now.
- Pay off debts.
- Get masters going to school part time, or save money to do it full time.

Suggestions:
- Unless you're dead set on the poor decision of eventually getting a PhD in psychology,
get a masters in different field. A broader education would be more valuable (& more
interesting).
- Avoid these fields:
Women's studies
Film
Victimization studies
Ablative materials (not useful with the current state of the space program)

Well, as stated in post #4, I'm want to get a Masters in Social Change. What I failed to mention is that I want to specialize in HIV education & prevention. What exactly is a "victimization study"?

The thing is, the people whom I've asked this question are about 50/50 in their answers. Some say stick with Grad school and take on the debt; others say enter an apprenticeship and learn a trade, and tackle Grad school after paying off debts.

I would definitely do learning a trade to pay off debts, if it weren't for a couple other uncertainties:

1.) From what I know, getting into apprenticeships (or trades in general) is becoming more difficult.

2.) What if I started a trade, but down the road I realized that I hated it? That would be time and money wasted.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, as stated in post #4, I'm want to get a Masters in Social Change. What I failed to mention is that I want to specialize in HIV education & prevention. What exactly is a "victimization study"?
The thing is, the people whom I've asked this question are about 50/50 in their answers. Some say stick with Grad school and take on the debt; others say enter an apprenticeship and learn a trade, and tackle Grad school after paying off debts.
Debt is more a burden for some than others. Consider how you feel about this
obligation hanging over your head for years, sapping your meager earnings.

I would definitely do learning a trade to pay off debts, if it weren't for a couple other uncertainties:
1.) From what I know, getting into apprenticeships (or trades in general) is becoming more difficult.
That would depend greatly on the particular trade & locale.

2.) What if I started a trade, but down the road I realized that I hated it? That would be time and money wasted.
You can learn a trade by getting an entry level job, & doing a little study on the
side. This way, you actually make money. Besides, learning what you hate to do
has value.

Parenthetical aside:
When I started at U of M (Architecture School), tuition was $300 per term.
I find it ridiculous that it has ballooned to $6579 per term.
It's $20,789 for out-of-state students.
Btw, architecture wasn't that interesting....engineering was all grins & giggles.

Last edited:

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Debt is more a burden for some than others. Consider how you feel about this
obligation hanging over your head for years, sapping your meager earnings.

Yeah, what I'm considering going into is related to Social Work. Which, mind you, doesn't pay a whole lot, but it is very fulfilling and helpful to others.

Besides, I was never one who needed to make a 6 figure income. Make what I can, try to live comfortably, make monthly payments, and cruise on by.

That would depend greatly on the particular trade & locale.

I live in Georgia, but I certainly am not going to stay here my entire life. As far as the particular trade, I was thinking something like Carpentry, Mortician (that's a trade, right?), painting, etc.

You can learn a trade by getting an entry level job, & doing a little study on the
side. This way, you actually make money. Besides, learning what you hate to do
has value.

Almost no one is hiring directly, which is why thought an apprenticeship would help one get their foot in the door. If I also went union, I would have classes on the side.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Yeah, what I'm considering going into is related to Social Work. Which, mind you, doesn't pay a whole lot, but it is very fulfilling and helpful to others.
Do you need a master's degree for most social work fields?

Both my daughter and son in law landed great jobs easily because they had a college degree and both were told they went to the top of the contender field because of this. However, neither of them are working in the subjects they majored in. A BA or BS is still impressive on a resume no matter what the line of study.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Do you need a master's degree for most social work fields?

Yeah, kind of.

Unless one wants to work only in Child Protective Services or in an entry level secretary Job, most people in Social Work tend to have a Masters.

Both my daughter and son in law landed great jobs easily because they had a college degree and both were told they went to the top of the contender field because of this. However, neither of them are working in the subjects they majored in. A BA or BS is still impressive on a resume no matter what the line of study.

I hope that's true. I understand that I can't really do much in the psych field with only a BA, but I'm hoping it will elevate me beyond retail.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
One ought'a do what calls to one.
Hmmm....helping other people....that one never occurred to me.

Besides, I was never one who needed to make a 6 figure income. Make what I can, try to live comfortably, make monthly payments, and cruise on by.
This points towards avoiding any crushing debt.

I live in Georgia, but I certainly am not going to stay here my entire life. As far as the particular trade, I was thinking something like Carpentry, Mortician (that's a trade, right?), painting, etc.
Almost no one is hiring directly, which is why thought an apprenticeship would help one get their foot in the door. If I also went union, I would have classes on the side.
Contractors I know are always looking for help, but have a hard time finding
honest & sober people with either the skills or desire to do good work. If you
knock on some doors with a positive attitude & realistic expectations, I expect
that you'd turn up something.

dust1n

Zindīq
I left school and went back. My dad got two MA's after being out of school for a long time. Lots of people end back in school.

Have you thought about AmeriCorps?

You generally end up in social work, get paid to do it (though not much), and you can get assistance paying off school debt.

Last edited:

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I left school and went back. My dad got two MA's after being out of school for a long time. Lots of people end back in school.

Have you thought about AmeriCore?

You generally end up in social work, get paid to do it (though not much), and you can get assistance paying off school debt.

I actually have considered AmeriCore. I've also considered the Peace Corps. Good for both experience and for the chance to help others. :)

Out of curiosity, what did you major when you went back to school? What did you do before you went back?

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
I actually have considered AmeriCore. I've also considered the Peace Core. Good for both experience and for the chance to help others. :)

Out of curiosity, what did you major when you went back to school? What did you do before you went back?

Let's see.... I started University of West Florida for Music and Philosophy my senior year of high school, then went to Community College for money reasons for music, than general studies, flunked out (I never really bothered much), went back two years later for Journalism for Physical Theory, but line was too long, so I switched to Journalism. Got my AA and realized there was no money in investigative journalism in a nowhere town, though those classes (more so the experience of writing for various newspapers around town) were invaluable. Switched to the cheapest online school for Accounting and moved to Texas. I got 7 more classes. ;)

About 10k in debt. But I'm considering a number of options, such as working for AmeriCore, teaching English abroad, attempting to get into grad school in Europe, maybe just lounging and working on music and comedy utilizing my degree minimally. Might end up back in school for music or a science degree, depending on how I feel about it in the coming years.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Let's see.... I started University of West Florida for Music and Philosophy my senior year of high school, then went to Community College for money reasons for music, than general studies, flunked out (I never really bothered much), went back two years later for Journalism for Physical Theory, but line was too long, so I switched to Journalism. Got my AA and realized there was no money in investigative journalism in a nowhere town, though those classes (more so the experience of writing for various newspapers around town) were invaluable. Switched to the cheapest online school for Accounting and moved to Texas. I got 7 more classes. ;)

About 10k in debt. But I'm considering a number of options, such as working for AmeriCore, teaching English abroad, attempting to get into grad school in Europe, maybe just lounging and working on music and comedy utilizing my degree minimally. Might end up back in school for music or a science degree, depending on how I feel about it in the coming years.

Very interesting to know. :)

I actually just e-mailed the Peace Corps about what it takes to volunteer. From what others have told me, some said that they want top notch people with lots of experience; while others have said that they will take almost anyone as long as they have a degree of some sort. Heck, this one person told me that they had a high school drop out with a criminal record go abroad for 2 years.

I'm also going to look into AmeriCorps as well.