• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gnostic Taoist Cosmology

SheikhHorusFromTheSky

Just a combination of Gnosticism, Neo-Platonism, and Taosim.

NOTHINGNESS
--------------------
1. The one/the Tao
2. Division and duality
3. Creation & Emanation of the heavens & the planets
4. Entities/Archons
6. Physical world/mankind

xkatz

How does one reconcile the notion of Tao with the dualistic cosmology of certain Gnostic (or Gnostic-like) sects like Manicheanism or Marcionism?

SheikhHorusFromTheSky

How does one reconcile the notion of Tao with the dualistic cosmology of certain Gnostic (or Gnostic-like) sects like Manicheanism or Marcionism?

By using the Tao as being above the dualistic nature of light and darkness (which by the way has nothing to do with good or evil, since light came from darkness).

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member

SheikhHorusFromTheSky

These might be of interest to you:

Taoist Cosmology - An Overview Of Taoist Cosmology

Neo-Confucian document by Chou Tun-i (Zhou Dunyi)
Explanation of the Diagram of the Supreme Ultimate

My favorite quote from the above linked Taijiju
Therefore it is said, "In establishing the Tao of Heaven yin and yang are spoken of; in establishing the Tao of Earth the soft and the hard are spoken of; in establishing the Tao of man humanity and righteousness are spoken of."​

Thanks. I will most definitely read that!

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The Tao gave birth to One. The One gave birth to Two. The Two gave birth to Three. The Three gave birth to all of creation. - Tao Te Ching 42

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The Two are yin and yang, which together give birth to everything in balance. Even when things do not seem balanced they really are. Someone who is extremely anti-gay claimed that two (wo)men don't balance. Ah but they do. They each have attributes that balance each other. Yin and yang are not male and female in a sexual sense.

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
Where is the belief that light came from darkness originate within Daoism?

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
I don't claim to be extremely familiar with Daoism, but it seems to me that the Tao and the One, are seperate from the darkness or light. I guess you could say darkness was present because light wasn't present, but if the One came before the Two, and the Two are darkness and light, then it would stand that the One couldn't be called darkness because it wasn't yet created. It would then have to be called something else.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
The Tao gave birth to One. The One gave birth to Two. The Two gave birth to Three. The Three gave birth to all of creation. - Tao Te Ching 42
Three is the Three Pure Ones.
snippet:
The first Pure One is universal or heavenly chi. The second Pure One is human plane chi, and the third Pure One is earth chi. Heavenly chi includes the chi or energy of all the planets, stars and constellations as well as the energy of God (the force of creation and universal love). Human plane chi is the energy that exists on the surface of our planet and sustains human life, and the earth force includes all of the forces inside the planet as well as the five elemental forces.​
Note the three expressions of the Dao in the quote highlighted in blue below:

These might be of interest to you:

Taoist Cosmology - An Overview Of Taoist Cosmology

Neo-Confucian document by Chou Tun-i (Zhou Dunyi)
Explanation of the Diagram of the Supreme Ultimate

My favorite quote from the above linked Taijiju
Therefore it is said, "In establishing the Tao of Heaven yin and yang are spoken of; in establishing the Tao of Earth the soft and the hard are spoken of; in establishing the Tao of Man humanity and righteousness are spoken of."​