• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gnostic Luciferianism

Liu

Nearly all Gnostic Luciferianism/Satanism (most don't seem to differentiate between that) I've encountered so far was anti-cosmic.
Satanism in itself is normally rather pro-cosmic, and so if a Satanist decides to name themselves a Gnostic (an anti-cosmic belief in its myths), then it's most often done also to differentiate oneself from pro-comic Satanists which one doesn't consider oneself to belong to.

However, that doesn't mean that Gnostic LHPers would also be against carnality or materialism. In a way yes, because the spiritual is seen as higher as any worldly goals, but they are not like Gnostic Christians in that they would consider matter as sinful or something like that in and of itself. So in that way they are not very far from other spiritual LHPers.

EverChanging

What does pro-matter/pro-cosmic or anti-matter/anti-cosmic mean ?

Anti-cosmic gnostics tend to look at this physical world as flawed, something to be escaped, even an aberration. Pro-cosmic paths tend to be world-affirming and do not seek to escape the physical world.

Liu

Btw, among LHPers that don't identify as Satanists or Luciferians, pro-cosmic Gnosticism seems to be more common. One example would be the chaos magician Steve Dee who often refer to himself as Gnostic but is not anti-cosmic from what I can tell.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Btw, among LHPers that don't identify as Satanists or Luciferians, pro-cosmic Gnosticism seems to be more common. One example would be the chaos magician Steve Dee who often refer to himself as Gnostic but is not anti-cosmic from what I can tell.
But doesn't Gnosticism in general, entail belief in a demiurge and a true god? The end goal being some form of merger with the true god.

Liu

But doesn't Gnosticism in general, entail belief in a demiurge and a true god? The end goal being some form of merger with the true god.
Anti-cosmic gnosticism yes (although even the writings of e.g. the MLO in parts read pretty anti-dogmatic and more in line of using the belief system as a tool and not as the end goal), but there also are more liberal interpretations of the myths, e.g. seeing it from a more psychological point of view with the demiurge and sophia representing different parts of one's own psyche or aspects of one's life.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
What if the Lucifer wants people to use the cosmos for nefarious purposes? Am I cosmic or anti-cosmic there?

Liu

The ToTBL is basically the same as the MLO I mentioned above (as is also mentioned in your second link, which btw includes only one of several myths used by them and also otherwise seems not completely reliable).

And they are anti-cosmic.
What if the Lucifer wants people to use the cosmos for nefarious purposes? Am I cosmic or anti-cosmic there?
Depends on the details.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
The ToTBL is basically the same as the MLO I mentioned above (as is also mentioned in your second link, which btw includes only one of several myths used by them and also otherwise seems not completely reliable).

And they are anti-cosmic.
Where would one get a complete synopsis of their beliefs?

Liu

Where would one get a complete synopsis of their beliefs?
Their foundational work is Liber Azerate. It's in Swedish, but there are inofficial (and mostly incomplete) English translations floating around the web.
Here's also a back-up version of their old website: http://anti-cosmos.orgfree.com/download/Temple-of-The-Black-Light.pdf
And then there are a few other books, published by http://www.ixaxaar.com
They are rather expensive, but for some of them PDFs can be found online, even uploaded by the authors themselves.
What I've read so far are Liber Falxifer 1 and 2, Gullveigarbók, and, I think, parts of Panparadox and The Catechism of Lucifer.

As you will see, while they have some fixed beliefs, they use a wide range of myths as metaphors for these beliefs. How literal they take these myths probably depends on the person in question.

VioletVortex

Gnostic Left Hand Path religions are about one of two things. One could be a philosophy of engaging excessively in material pleasures as to "burn out" one's link to the material world, and the other larger group is directly anticosmic.

Liu

Gnostic Left Hand Path religions are about one of two things. One could be a philosophy of engaging excessively in material pleasures as to "burn out" one's link to the material world, and the other larger group is directly anticosmic.
The few pro-cosmic gnostic ones I encountered were neither.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Nearly all Gnostic Luciferianism/Satanism (most don't seem to differentiate between that) I've encountered so far was anti-cosmic.
Satanism in itself is normally rather pro-cosmic, and so if a Satanist decides to name themselves a Gnostic (an anti-cosmic belief in its myths), then it's most often done also to differentiate oneself from pro-comic Satanists which one doesn't consider oneself to belong to.

However, that doesn't mean that Gnostic LHPers would also be against carnality or materialism. In a way yes, because the spiritual is seen as higher as any worldly goals, but they are not like Gnostic Christians in that they would consider matter as sinful or something like that in and of itself. So in that way they are not very far from other spiritual LHPers.

How does that play out in terms of their practice?

What does pro-matter/pro-cosmic or anti-matter/anti-cosmic mean ?

Anti matter and matter are the domain of physics :D