• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global Warming worse than expected

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Why do you say that, Penguino? I think, on the contrary, that most people are not aware of it's full implications.
I would say that most people tend to overstate the effect of global warming. Too many people have watched an Inconvenient Truth and think that it has science behind it.
If the same amount of scepticism was applied to Global Warming as religious beliefs, you would come up with the same conclusions that neither exist.
Global warming does exist. Few people are going to argue that temperatures have been rising. They have done so for a very long time.
The issues are 1. How much do our actions affect the warming and 2. What are the effects of warming on us.

Why do you say that, Penguino? I think, on the contrary, that most people are not aware of it's full implications.

Trust me, i do what i can to save energy, minimise all pollution, but, i still think its not as bad. I think it is been exxagurated to become a business. People are exploiting this for money, they give it the level it has already. But i still believe we need to save energy and stop pollution.

Most people are afraid....
They prefer to bury their heads in the sand than do anything...
They prefer to deny a problem than think about the implications.

Nothing?! I am the one turns EVERYTHING off in my house. I do everything to stop energy from being wasted. I am NOT burying my head in the sand. It isn't all that bad, you probably saw An Inconvinient Truth.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Trust me, i do what i can to save energy, minimise all pollution, but, i still think its not as bad. I think it is been exxagurated to become a business. People are exploiting this for money, they give it the level it has already. But i still believe we need to save energy and stop pollution.

But almost all the existing businesses fear the effects public awareness might have on their trade, especially large businesses. Global warming threatens to be the biggest commercial disaster in history.
Public awareness of Global Warming thus far has benefited mostly small, niche markets.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
I never saw it ... It sounded as if it might be too political...
Yep. Its a political film. Little science behind it
However I do read what scientist have to say.
Which scientists. The ones you see in the media? Or the ones from RealClimate.org?
If anything it will be worse than they dare tell us.
If it could be any worse, they would tell us. Doomsday predictions attract funding like honey to flies

PureX

Veteran Member
It amazes me that people can actually believe that billions of human beings can pump millions of tons of toxic waste into the air, ground, and water for over a century, and that it will have no effect at all on the Earth. That's completely insane. There is no excuse for such blatant stupidity except the willful denial of logic and reason and physical evidence. And to pretend that this is all some secret conspiracy made up by scientists to get funding is worse than idiotic. It's willful ignorance taken to the degree of absurdity.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes. I mean the entire power industry is a small niche market

Global warming has benefited the German photovoltaic industry, to be sure, but elsewhere it's business as usual, and business is traditionally highly resistant to change.

In the US Green industry hit it's peak under the Carter administration. When Reagan took over he canceled subsidies, canceled CAFE standards and pulled the solar panels off the roof of the White House.
It's been downhill ever since.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yep. Its a political film. Little science behind it

Which scientists. The ones you see in the media? Or the ones from RealClimate.org?

If it could be any worse, they would tell us. Doomsday predictions attract funding like honey to flies

I'm dumbfounded!
Sure the film's got a political message, but it's based on hard science which, anticipating the storm of criticism sure to follow, was carefully fact-checked.
It reflects the consensus of most of the world's climatologists.

Global Warming promises to cause more death and dstruction than all man's wars, combined.It is a deadly serious threat.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
I'm dumbfounded!
They have medicine for that
Sure the film's got a political message,
The film is a political message
but it's based on hard science which, anticipating the storm of criticism sure to follow, was carefully fact-checked.
They cherrypicked the most extreme cases to get a point across. There is no "hard evidence" save for climate models. Far from evidence
It reflects the consensus of most of the world's climatologists.
The consensus of climatologists is one of neutrality.
1. The paper that made such claims in flawed
2. Another paper shows that neutrality is the majority opinion

Global Warming promises to cause more death and dstruction than all man's wars, combined.It is a deadly serious threat.
Is that a quote from the film?

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
It amazes me that people can actually believe that billions of human beings can pump millions of tons of toxic waste into the air, ground, and water for over a century, and that it will have no effect at all on the Earth. That's completely insane. There is no excuse for such blatant stupidity except the willful denial of logic and reason and physical evidence. And to pretend that this is all some secret conspiracy made up by scientists to get funding is worse than idiotic. It's willful ignorance taken to the degree of absurdity.

Especially since the little incident called "hole in the ozone layer" has been attributed to human behavior, and we can actually see progress. Even I remember hearing on the news about not going outside because of the hole in the ozone layer. What happened to that? Oh yeah.