• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Give us your Haiku

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
I was reading some Haiku earlier, and it stirred my creative juices... So I thought I would start a thread for anyone to post their efforts...
In case you didn't know, Haiku is Japanese poetry that ought to be 5-7-5 syllables - (I say ought as I have found much that does not follow this)
Here's my first effort...

Look into the stars
The root of our existance
We try to find truth

Nehustan

Here is one I cowrote with a reader from Cambridge University and was published in a poetry magazine.

The Shadow is a kite,
The wind...
...cannot lift it.

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
windcarver said:
here's one:

oh those bumbly clouds
your subtle sense of humor
mocks all our worries.

excellent...
Oh and that signature... I was just saying exactly that to a vegan friend of mine...weird.

Nehustan

Nehustan said:
Here is one I cowrote with a reader from Cambridge University and was published in a poetry magazine.

The Shadow is a kite,
The wind...
...cannot lift it.

Actually to conform to traditional structure maybe I should render it....

The Shadow is a kite, the...
...wind cannot lift it.

nutshell

Traditionally, haiku should also include elements of nature that provoke an emotional response. I have a group of 5 haiku I've written and have submitted to a publisher. There are written in both Japanese and English. I should hear back any time. Wish me luck!

Omer

here goes:

Tooki kuni
Hisame furiyuku--
Madobe no ko

In a country far away
A small girl by the window
Winter rain is showering.

I had help from a japanese friend with the japanese version, i can't say the english version follows the syllable rule much. Here, the season word is "hisame" (chilly rain).

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
dawny0826 said:
Can someone refresh me on the "rules"? I'm really digging the haiku.

heh. Its (in english) 5 syllables, then 7, then 5. I guess if its a translation then you can break that...

And as nutshell rightly says there ought to be a nature aspect. I think it's nature that relates to a season..such as cherry blossom, or snowdrop...but 5-7-5 will do :)

standing_on_one_foot

Can not stay away
From this infernal website.
Homework, who needs it?

or, if I must include nature...

Spring returns again,
The sun is shining outside.
I'm indoors, typing.