• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ghana’s speaker of parliament says the ‘LGBT+ pandemic is worse than COVID-19’

danieldemol

Premium Member
'Ghana’s speaker of parliament Alban Bagbin said Tuesday (29 June) that the “LGBT+ pandemic” is “worse than COVID-19” in remarks dubbed “insensitive” by activists.

Bagbin, one of the most powerful politicians in the country, made the incendiary comment as lawmakers filed a bill that, if passed, would criminalise the “promotion, advocacy, funding and act of homosexuality in all its forms,” one legislator sponsoring it said.

At least eight lawmakers have backed the bill which would also, according to activists, seek to promote conversion therapy – MPs even prayed for LGBT+ people before the bill was introduced, according to 3News GH.

Bagbin, a member of the National Democratic Congress party, said he expects the proposed law to be passed within the next six months – LGBT+ activism, he said, “must be fought by all of us”.

“The LGBT+ pandemic […] is worse than COVID-19,” he said at a morning prayer meeting with lawmakers, according to 76 Crimes...

...“The president [Nana Akufo-Addo] has spoken, our traditional leaders have spoken, our religious leaders have spoken together, and Ghanaians have spoken with one voice, and we don’t want to do anything that has to do with LGBT+ activities.'

Source: Ghana's speaker of parliament says the 'LGBT+ pandemic is worse than COVID-19'

Looks like a combination of bad religion and outdated tradition has brainwashed the leaders of Ghana in my opinion.

AlexanderG

American Evangelicals have run rampant in a number of African countries for years, specifically promoting the notion that homosexuality is a grave sin and pushing people in those countries to adopt harsh laws and even imprisonment and death of homosexuals. A rising number of children are routinely killed in Africa because they are believed to be witches or possessed by demons. HIV is still present at appalling levels in Africa, in no small part due to Christian opposition to the use of condoms and sustained information campaigns teaching against contraception, birth control, etc.

What a disservice to Africa and to human progress, and thank goodness for our secular constitution separating Church and State in the US. Africa has become a Fundagelical paradise and experimental proving ground. I think we can conclude that their ideas fail in the real world.

Shakeel

And neither is having some non-binary sexuality, unless one was to believe in some ages old textual material - that had about as much knowledge as the average witch burner. :oops:
How many families were broken during covid because one member got the virus and someone said, "we just can't associate with you anymore. You're a bad influence on our children and an embarrassment to the family"?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
How many families were broken during covid because one member got the virus and someone said, "we just can't associate with you anymore. You're a bad influence on our children and an embarrassment to the family"?

If thats the aort of family you are talking about then i would consider it a good thing to break away from bronze age oppression

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
You tell me. Not sure this has anything to do with morality derived from some old texts, and supposedly from God when it might not be such.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Those families should have been just as proud of their LGBT children as they were of their regular children, and if the families weren't then it was the families fault that they were broken, not the fault of the shunned individual.
In my opinion

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
'

Looks like a combination of bad religion and outdated tradition has brainwashed the leaders of Ghana in my opinion.

Make sure to wear a mask so you don't catch the ghey. :rage: Developing nations and conservative "Christianity" are a recipe for disaster.