• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting to know RFK jr

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
As most people probably know by now Robert Kennedy jr is a Democratic presidential candidate for the upcoming 2024 American presidential election.

He's the son of Robert Kennedy and nephew of President John F. Kennedy.

He seems to be a very controversial figure on several fronts (is there a Kennedy that isn't/wasn't?), But all in all a very interesting character.

I've just started trying to familiarize myself with him, his views, and his political history.

This thread is intended as a place for posting any information to that end, anything that people feel is relevant.

Conflicting information and opinions is fine but I'd rather not have this turn into a debate thread, which is why I didn't post it in North American politics.

Right now it's just basically for gathering and vetting information. Plenty of time for debates later. :p

I'll start with this:

I've probably heard more about him from podcasts than elsewhere, and those weren't about him, per se. But my broad thoughts;

He obviously has name recognition. For some that is positive and for others negative, but on the left I guess it's more positive than anything. For me personally, that's not the case. Just declaring bias.

Purely opinionative, but he is somewhat anti-establishment, in kind of a similar way to Trump, in the right. By that I mean he stands contrary to some established positions on the left, and presents himself as a teller of hard truths.

Again, much like Trump, I find it worth fact checking those truths. He has the ability to present things as factual when they are inaccurate, and I think he's able to convince himself in the moment that these things are in fact true, and that pushback is due to the establishment wanting to silence uncomfortable truths. But I see little evidence of that, to be honest.

He's treading a strange line between leftist cred (his name, environmental beliefs) and courting the right to some degree. He is certainly not run of the mill Dem, and unfortunately I think that is driving some of his popularity, rather than anything of substance in and of itself.

Aware you're looking for evidence and I'm just offering my opinion, but feel free to seek clarification on any of that and I'll do a deeper dive.

In the interim, my comment would be 'fact check everything he says'. Always good advice when listening to pollies, but there are levels of crap.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Dint want to sit thru a video.
His ilk love to attack glyphosate.
But I've yet to hear them provide cromulent epidemiological
arguments...just gussied up versions of "chemicals are bad".
Does he also consider its benefits, eg, less soil erosion,
avoiding other herbicides, cheaper food?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I've probably heard more about him from podcasts than elsewhere, and those weren't about him, per se. But my broad thoughts;

He obviously has name recognition. For some that is positive and for others negative, but on the left I guess it's more positive than anything. For me personally, that's not the case. Just declaring bias.

Purely opinionative, but he is somewhat anti-establishment, in kind of a similar way to Trump, in the right. By that I mean he stands contrary to some established positions on the left, and presents himself as a teller of hard truths.

Again, much like Trump, I find it worth fact checking those truths. He has the ability to present things as factual when they are inaccurate, and I think he's able to convince himself in the moment that these things are in fact true, and that pushback is due to the establishment wanting to silence uncomfortable truths. But I see little evidence of that, to be honest.

He's treading a strange line between leftist cred (his name, environmental beliefs) and courting the right to some degree. He is certainly not run of the mill Dem, and unfortunately I think that is driving some of his popularity, rather than anything of substance in and of itself.

Aware you're looking for evidence and I'm just offering my opinion, but feel free to seek clarification on any of that and I'll do a deeper dive.

In the interim, my comment would be 'fact check everything he says'. Always good advice when listening to pollies, but there are levels of crap.
This may speak more for my lack of understanding of US politics, but I’ve seen the online spaces I frequent (mostly leftist and liberal) be somewhat hostile to him. Not completely but there seems to be some kind of resentment there. I won’t pretend to know why, just saying.

I did see someone criticise either RFK Jr or his opponent (sorry I can’t quite remember) for refusing a debate??
I’m trying to find out more legitimate information but I can’t. Is this like a thing?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
This may speak more for my lack of understanding of US politics, but I’ve seen the online spaces I frequent (mostly leftist and liberal) be somewhat hostile to him. Not completely but there seems to be some kind of resentment there. I won’t pretend to know why, just saying.

He's anti-vaccines, in general terms, although he's commented less on that recently. That could be a source of it.
And some of his COVID comments have gone way past 'theories' and strayed into 'conspiracy theories'...

I did see someone criticise either RFK Jr or his opponent (sorry I can’t quite remember) for refusing a debate??
I’m trying to find out more legitimate information but I can’t. Is this like a thing?

There was a vaccine scientist who refused to debate him on the Joe Rogan show. Could that be it?
Far as I know, RFK loves a debate...

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
He's anti-vaccines, in general terms, although he's commented less on that recently. That could be a source of it.
And some of his COVID comments have gone way past 'theories' and strayed into 'conspiracy theories'...

There was a vaccine scientist who refused to debate him on the Joe Rogan show. Could that be it?
Far as I know, RFK loves a debate...

Ahh I see
Informative frubal