• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Genesis 1:6

james2ko

Distribution of materials of Jahwist, Elohist and Priestly sources, as well as Redactor's contribution in the first four books, following Richard Friedman.

For much of the 20th century Wellhausen's hypothesis formed the framework within which the origins of the Pentateuch were discussed, and even the Vatican came to urge that "light derived from recent research" not be neglected by Catholic scholars, urging them especially to pay attention to "the sources written or oral" and "the forms of expression" used by the "sacred writer".[41] Some important modifications were introduced, notably by Albrecht Alt and Martin Noth, who argued for the oral transmission of ancient core beliefs—guidance out of Egypt, conquest of the Promised Land, covenants, revelation at Sinai/Horeb, etc.[42] Simultaneously, the work of the American Biblical archaeology school under William F. Albright seemed to confirm that even if Genesis and Exodus were only given their final form in the first millennium BC, they were still firmly grounded in the material reality of the second millennium.[43] The overall effect of such refinements was to aid the wider acceptance of the basic hypothesis by reassuring believers that even if the final form of the Pentateuch was late and not due to Moses himself, it was nevertheless possible to recover a credible picture of the period of Moses and of the patriarchal age. Hence, although challenged by scholars such as Umberto Cassuto, opposition to the documentary hypothesis gradually waned, and by the mid-twentieth century it was almost universally accepted.[44]

Documentary hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

make no mistake,, ,moses work is a patchwork of wishfull thinking and want

Educated people, scholars and historians came up with this information

Can you refute these with something other then your imagination????? or a question???

LOOK you can go about this educated or not, here is both sides of the story so that your not so ignorant to the facts at hand

The Straight Dope: Who wrote the Bible? (Part 1)

Timeline of Old Testament History
progress.gif

Your side is from a liberal (atheistic) viewpoint. For the sake of objective honesty, it's only fair to present the conservative side:

The Documentary Hypothesis refuted

outhouse

Atheistically
Your side is from a liberal (atheistic) viewpoint. For the sake of objective honesty, it's only fair to present the conservative side:

The Documentary Hypothesis refuted

ill give you credit, and a thumb up for a rational try. Atleast your trying properly. now make no mistake it IS NOT a atheistic view point at all.

most christian biblical scholars still follow the hypothesis

yes a few religious people refute the hypothesis all the time.

TO bad the majority of the scholars and almost all the historians use the hypothisis.

gensis is a complete patchwork written over hundreds of years after hundreds of years of oral tradition. some storys are almost word for word from previous egyption and sumerian cultures

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
james you know I already provided a better link that explains your side much more clearly.

The Straight Dope: Who wrote the Bible? (Part 1)

I like this link because it links you to whatever view you like

Documentary hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the earth was not created in 6 days
man evolved, he was not created
there was no worldwide flood
man spoke many languages before the tower of babal
there was no ark
woman did not come from mans rib
there was no talking snake
we are all not inbreed from adam and eve

when you start to realize the lies you understand it was written by ancient man and the two different genesis storys make it obvious it is a patchwork.

esmith

Veteran Member
There is on small problem with this hypothesis. If I am not mistaken (which lately I have been), the "P" source is said to cover the majority of Genesis and Leviticus (plus other books). If we go with the supposition we come across a small problem. In Genesis dealing with the Abraham and Sarah story. Abraham reveals in Chapter 20 that Sarah is his sister (half-sister really but there is no word in Hebrew for half-sister or step-sister); now we know from Leviticus 18-20 that it forbids this. Now this supposition about the "P" source covering the majority of Genesis might have excluded the Abraham and Sarah story, I don't know.

outhouse

Atheistically
when they use P as priestly source they are talking about more then one person

genesis holds very little P and it would have been a different generation of P

Onlooker

most christian biblical scholars still follow the hypothesis

yes a few religious people refute the hypothesis all the time.

TO bad the majority of the scholars and almost all the historians use the hypothisis.

gensis is a complete patchwork written over hundreds of years after hundreds of years of oral tradition. some storys are almost word for word from previous egyption and sumerian cultures
You are correct in the microscopic view, for macroscopic view I would like to offer a viewpoint.
Microscopic: there are many competing versions of the documentary hypothesis. As they say, its not for the faint of heart to parse out the real version. No one denies the Tankh/Bible is a patchwork of authors.
Macroscopic: For us believers, God is greater than His creation. His communication with us has been from the beginning, and yes, He still communicates. His "spirit" has influenced many writers (clay vessels, vehicles) with the ultimate truth in the documents.
So to focus on the authorship is okay, but not the big picture for most believers. We all know, every single word that was written for God, by God and about God has been by fallible, clay, carbon based, short lived vessels that were led by His Spirit. The only document that was agreed upon that God wrote personally, was the 10 commandments on mount Sinai (the tablets in the ark) located somewhere? (Spielberg knows where).
You would have better success in tearing down "believers" belief system if you can prove how fallible His word is.
To me, I havent seen any 3000 year old document so accurate. I mean really, Israel, after 2000 years in the dust, the bible clearly states it would come back.
In fact, look at the news this morning, another verse is becoming a reality:
"I'm going to make Jerusalem like a cup [of wine] that makes all the surrounding people stagger. They will attack Judah along with Jerusalem."
Creepy, 3000 years old, pretty accurate.

kylixguru

You are correct in the microscopic view, for macroscopic view I would like to offer a viewpoint.
Microscopic: there are many competing versions of the documentary hypothesis. As they say, its not for the faint of heart to parse out the real version. No one denies the Tankh/Bible is a patchwork of authors.
Macroscopic: For us believers, God is greater than His creation. His communication with us has been from the beginning, and yes, He still communicates. His "spirit" has influenced many writers (clay vessels, vehicles) with the ultimate truth in the documents.
So to focus on the authorship is okay, but not the big picture for most believers. We all know, every single word that was written for God, by God and about God has been by fallible, clay, carbon based, short lived vessels that were led by His Spirit. The only document that was agreed upon that God wrote personally, was the 10 commandments on mount Sinai (the tablets in the ark) located somewhere? (Spielberg knows where).
You would have better success in tearing down "believers" belief system if you can prove how fallible His word is.
To me, I havent seen any 3000 year old document so accurate. I mean really, Israel, after 2000 years in the dust, the bible clearly states it would come back.
In fact, look at the news this morning, another verse is becoming a reality:
"I'm going to make Jerusalem like a cup [of wine] that makes all the surrounding people stagger. They will attack Judah along with Jerusalem."
Creepy, 3000 years old, pretty accurate.
It would be a fascinating study to pick apart all the "authors" of my DNA. What all chunks did I get from my mom's side, from my dad's side. And so on. But, the fact remains, even though I too am a patchwork, I am a living and breathing individual. I view holy writ much the same. It's the DNA of a dead and broken people of a particular kind of societal body that shall in due time, which is actually happening before our eyes, come back to full life and vitality. Resurrection is actually a bit of a painful process when you have adultery and blasphemy on your record (thus the fall of Adam and Eve) but after the judgments of God are satisfied, just as the adulterous woman had her accusers sent away, so too shall we, if we are repentant and turn back to our God, be restored to that societal body to live as sovereigns under His Law. The State of Israel yets has some calamity to endure, but it shall in due time overcome the enemy and be restored to its full glory. And, it shall have its DNA (the Word of God) to thank for it.