• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Genesis 1:1

Earthling

David Henson
Genesis 1:1 The Hebrew verb consists of two different states. The perfect state indicates an action which is complete, whereas the imperfect state indicates a continuous or incomplete action.

At Genesis 1:1 the word bara, translated as created, is in the perfect state, which means that at this point the creation of the heavens and the Earth were completed. Later, as in verse 16 the Hebrew word asah, translated as made, is used, which is in the imperfect state, indicating continuous action. The heavens and Earth were created in verse 1 and an indeterminate time later they were being prepared for habitation, much the same as a bed is manufactured (complete) and made (continuous) afterwards.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Very Interesting.
In the Septuagint both in verse 1 and in verse 16 the verb is the same, ἐποίησεν, which is Aorist, not Imperfect...so it describes an action that started and ended.

But I do believe that the Greek Bible presents huge lexical discrepancies with the Masoretic Text.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Genesis 1:1 The Hebrew verb consists of two different states. The perfect state indicates an action which is complete, whereas the imperfect state indicates a continuous or incomplete action.

At Genesis 1:1 the word bara, translated as created, is in the perfect state, which means that at this point the creation of the heavens and the Earth were completed. Later, as in verse 16 the Hebrew word asah, translated as made, is used, which is in the imperfect state, indicating continuous action. The heavens and Earth were created in verse 1 and an indeterminate time later they were being prepared for habitation, much the same as a bed is manufactured (complete) and made (continuous) afterwards.
Nonsense, and your willingness to counterpose yourself to the latest scholarship as reflected in any number of our most recent Jewish translations is pathetically arrogant.

74x12

I believe that Genesis 1:1 is simply stating the fact. The following story is how Genesis 1:1 was accomplished. So you have the fact and then the explanation of the fact.

Earthling

David Henson
Adam and Eve
Genesis 1:26

Whats your point

My point was that the heaven and earth were complete at Genesis 1:1. The heavens include the stars, sun, moon. So, if a skeptic asks "Were plants made before there was a sun to drive their photosynthetic processes?" The answer is that the sun was already created in Genesis 1:1. If a Creationist says that the universe and planet earth were created in a 144 hour period, 6 literal days, they are wrong because the heavens and earth were complete before the 6 "days" began, later in Genesis 1:3-5.

Earthling

David Henson
I believe that Genesis 1:1 is simply stating the fact. The following story is how Genesis 1:1 was accomplished. So you have the fact and then the explanation of the fact.

Not in the original Hebrew. There you have two facts. Creation and then preparation.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
My point was that the heaven and earth were complete at Genesis 1:1. The heavens include the stars, sun, moon. So, if a skeptic asks "Were plants made before there was a sun to drive their photosynthetic processes?" The answer is that the sun was already created in Genesis 1:1. If a Creationist says that the universe and planet earth were created in a 144 hour period, 6 literal days, they are wrong because the heavens and earth were complete before the 6 "days" began, later in Genesis 1:3-5.
Not necessarily. The first day is later. The earth and the heaven non descriptor there, is what is first created. Also, the earth is without form...so, pretty easy to argue the literal time sequence, actually.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
As soon as you get 'light', theres plant source. The argument of plants before light isn't scriptural.

Land is made before plants, obviously, and light is already made.

Earthling

David Henson
What is the "earth"? It could be argued that the earth wasn't created until the third day. As it says God called the dry land "earth".

Not reasonably. The terms for earth could be a variety of things contextually, the planet, the dirt, the people on the planet, but context here obviously dictates the planet. Before land, before people.

And the firmament He called "heaven" on the 2nd day.

Maybe we'll get to that later. Maybe we will make it that far.

74x12

Not reasonably. The terms for earth could be a variety of things contextually, the planet, the dirt, the people on the planet, but context here obviously dictates the planet. Before land, before people.
I respectfully disagree, but as I have my own theory(or line of research) on this topic that I have not fully come to the point where I feel completely confident to share it yet; I will remain silent for now. :)

Maybe we'll get to that later. Maybe we will make it that far.
Indeed it's a battle to gain so far as heaven.

2 Timothy 4:7-8 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

74x12

6 literal 24 hour earth days is kind of ridiculous because these are not solar days. They are 6 days by the pure Light of God. It's not a solar day. Everything was created in the Light of God.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Nonsense, and your willingness to counterpose yourself to the latest scholarship as reflected in any number of our most recent Jewish translations is pathetically arrogant.

Typical of those that think their interpretation is the only correct one. Though he does tend to run and hide when he is finally shown to be wrong too many times.

Earthling

David Henson
6 literal 24 hour earth days is kind of ridiculous because these are not solar days. They are 6 days by the pure Light of God. It's not a solar day. Everything was created in the Light of God.

I'm sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense to me. The sun is part of the heavens. The heavens were complete in Genesis 1:1. We will hopefully get to light later.

Earthling

David Henson
I respectfully disagree, but as I have my own theory(or line of research) on this topic that I have not fully come to the point where I feel completely confident to share it yet; I will remain silent for now. :)

Fair enough, thanks for your thoughts on the subject, if you should feel confident in near future let me know what you think.

Tumah

Veteran Member

Both barah and asah are in the perfective state. The imperfective of asah would be ya'aseh (e'eseh, ta'aseh, etc). In verse 16 (and 7 and 25), the vav-conversive changes the imperfective aspect to the perfective. So "ya'as" = imperfective and "va'ya'as" = perfective.

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Th

The word bara means “to cut,” as in stone cutting.