• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

General Assembly is on NOW!

applewuud

The Unitarian Universalist Association's General Assembly is going on now (June 22-24) in Phoenix, Arizona. Streaming video of services, debates, and speeches is available on uua.org.

I strongly recommend the "Service of the Living Tradition", TONIGHT. This is a service about ministry: retiring ministers, welcoming newly fellowshipped ministers, and it always has a great sermon as its centerpiece. I usually get a bit veklempt myself as the ministers process in to "For All the Saints".

Here is a promo about the speaker tonight:

The 2012 sermon will be delivered by Rev. Karen I. Tse.

An international human rights attorney and ordained Unitarian Universalist minister, Reverend Karen I. Tse works with Rule of Law initiatives across the globe. Tse received her Master's degree from Harvard University School of Divinity, and received her J.D. degree from the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) School of Law.

Rev. Tse first developed her interest in the cross section of criminal law and human rights as a Thomas J. Watson fellow in 1986 after observing Southeast Asian refugees detained in local prison without trial. After graduating from law school, Tse worked as a San Francisco public defender. Later on in 1994, Tse continued her passion for criminal justice and moved to Cambodia to train the country's first cadre of public defenders. There, she served as a United Nations Judicial Mentor. Under the Auspices of the United Nations Center for Human Rights in Cambodia and the Cambodia Defenders Project, she trained judges and prosecutors and established the first arraignment court in Cambodia.

----------
After the live streaming is over, videos are usually available in the next day or two...in fact, you can watch last year's, if you have Flash video (e.g., can't watch on an iPhone).

Enjoy!

P.S. The choir at this service is made up entirely of ministers, and is usually one of the best music events of GA, second only to the Closing Ceremony with the big choir.

Last edited:
I'm kind of jealous... the UUs in the United States seemed to always have a more spectacular version of a GA from online than in Canada. Then again, I've never been to a yearly national conference yet, but maybe one day!