• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gender Sex

standing_alone

NetDoc said:
how common is this?

I am not sure off-hand.

NetDoc said:
The ONLY person that I have ever met who was trans gendered was a prostitute. He was not a "woman" trapped in a man's body, but was merely an opportunist wanting a quick buck. I doubt that he was ever successful; just gross!

Well, I can't be certain, but I doubt this person was a typical example or even a fine representative of the transgendered community. And just remember, this is ONLY one person that YOU'VE encountered.

NetDoc said:
So, other than those who want to go into female impersonation, prostitution and the like, just how common IS this phenomenon?

I don't know. I'll see what I can find. But answer me this, even if it's a small number of people who are transgendered, how does that automatically mean that gender and sex are interchangable words or that there is not a difference between gender and sex?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
standing_alone said:
That would be terrific if it wouldn't be a burden. You are by no means obligated to, of course. :) I only have until Tuesday night to write this essay and I haven't even started yet.:D
Sorry it took so long to reply; I went on a wild goose chase for my purse! Okay, here we go:

The essay "Culture Establishes Gender Roles" in Male/Female Roles, edited by Auriana Ojeda. That's the one I mentioned that tells about the tribe in New Guinea.

Changing Ones: Third and Fourth Genders in Native North America by Will Roscoe. I have the book and think it's just a nice book to own, since it's so informative.

And the other source I used is online: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/09/050919082317.htm It tells about how men and women are more similar in personality than commonly portrayed. I used it to support the idea that gender roles are cultural, since if it was purely biological there would be a personality difference in men and women to account for the traits we stereotypically associate with each of them.

Sorry I don't have any more sources... it was just a 4 page paper. :eek:

And I'll have to look into Gender Trouble. I haven't heard of it, but I'm always looking for new books that discuss gender. :D

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
NetDoc said:
My question then is: how common is this? The ONLY person that I have ever met who was trans gendered was a prostitute.
Heheh, I'd like to point out that this is the only trans person you've met that you know of. ;) Many trans men and women, especially if they transition earlier on in life, appear to be their gender. And given that it's a sensitive subject, most of the trans people I know prefer to not let people know unless they specifically ask (and even then may flat-out tell them it's none of their damned business).

I'm having trouble finding specific numbers for the amount of the population that's transgender, but I'll ask around in the trans communities I'm part of.

standing_alone

NetDoc said:
Do we have any demographics?

I've been trying to find some demographics on the internet about how much of the population is transgendered, but have only found demographics on discrimination in the workplace. I'll keep searching and if I find anything, I'll post it. :) So far, this is the best I could find about transgendered/transsexual demographics (basically, it just somewhat backs up my claim that it's hard to find demographical data on this subject - this has something to do with certain endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs) possible being related to the demographics of the transgendered/transsexual population)

http://www.antijen.org/transadvocate/id31.html said:
The lack of detailed data on transsexual demographics, especially in the United States where such data are completely lacking, has left a void where a lack of data has been interpreted incorrectly as a lack of effect.

http://www.antijen.org/transadvocate/id31.html

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
My question then is: how common is this? The ONLY person that I have ever met who was trans gendered was a prostitute. He was not a "woman" trapped in a man's body, but was merely an opportunist wanting a quick buck. I doubt that he was ever successful; just gross! :eek:

My best friend is trans. He is a MTF transperson. He truly feels he is female and would like to look that way on the outside, too. I ws the first person he told because he didn't know what I thought about trans issues, but he knew I loved and accepted everyone. People don't try and announce they are trans- they get hurt badly for it.

And I think it's really mean to say just because you haven't met a "real" one they don't exist. I'm never met someone from Norway but I know they exist.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
standing_alone said:
But answer me this, even if it's a small number of people who are transgendered, how does that automatically mean that gender and sex are interchangeable words or that there is not a difference between gender and sex?
Again... it's matter of descriptive or proscriptive linguistics. A dictionary can be either a repository of HOW the common man (woman) uses a word or set itself up as the authority on how those words should be used. Our most common dictionaries are set up as a hybrid of BOTH. So we can either debate that "gender" should or should not be the same as "sex" or whether it is perceived as the same by most of the population.

I have no firm opinion about the former, but see the latter as being the status quo for the majority of Americans. To be forthright, I should point out that I have no supporting data.

Pah

Uber all member
NetDoc said:
Again... it's matter of descriptive or proscriptive linguistics. A dictionary can be either a repository of HOW the common man (woman) uses a word or set itself up as the authority on how those words should be used. Our most common dictionaries are set up as a hybrid of BOTH. So we can either debate that "gender" should or should not be the same as "sex" or whether it is perceived as the same by most of the population.
In law or in science, perception of the masses is not pertainent - it doesn't lead to the word's critical meaning. So some can remain ignorant or become educated.

Scuba Pete

Jensa said:
Heheh, I'd like to point out that this is the only trans person you've met that you know of. ;)
On this, I completely agree! I also assume that this person was NOT indicative of the vast majority of transgendered individuals. I had even forgotten this encounter, but thinking about this subject made me remember. You see, the police in Daytona Beach used to run stings out of my Goodyear. They would plant decoys to lure in users, and hid on motorcycles in the first bay. They apprehended this guy was yelling at one of the female officers for invading his territory. They arrested him and used his outburst as the evidence they needed for prosecution. He was incredibly pathetic and there was LITTLE feminine about him, except for the mini skirt.

Scuba Pete

Pah said:
In law or in science, perception of the masses is not pertainent - it doesn't lead to the word's critical meaning. So some can remain ignorant or become educated.
That's how the French view their language. Very proscriptive. Welcome to America. Words change in their meaning. The word "gay" did not mean homosexual in the sixties, or the Flintstones were presenting a subliminal message to us kids! That's precisely how our language evolves quicker than most. The "N" word (which I abhor) came from the word "black", but it's far more pejorative now.

So maybe the "perception of the masses" IS pertinent.

Maxist

I cannot agree. I beleive htat they are interchangable. You could say that "sex" is somones sexual orientation; but not what they associate. In that case then you really are arguing about transvestites.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Maxist said:
I cannot agree. I beleive htat they are interchangable. You could say that "sex" is somones sexual orientation; but not what they associate. In that case then you really are arguing about transvestites.
I'm not trans. My biological sex is female, but I'm no more a woman than a brick.