• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay Discrimination in India

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Source: [url=http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/indias-gay-community-scrambling-after-court-decision-recriminalises-homosexuality-9146244.html]India's gay community scrambling after court decision recriminalises homosexuality - Asia - World - The Independent[/URL]

snippet from the article said:
Back in 2009, Lesley Esteves was dancing in the streets after judges in Delhi decriminalised homosexuality. When the Delhi High Court suspended the draconian Section 377 of the Indian penal code which dated from the days of British rule...

One would have thought that after acquiring independence, India would have created Her own laws. Unfortunately, it seems that did not completely occur.

For a country that prides its secularism, secularism in both social and religious contexts, the reenactment of Section 377 was a grave betrayal to Indian citizens that identify as LGBTQ.

- - - - - - - -

I'm surprised this was posted in the HinduDIR. It has nothing to do with Hinduism. Or, was this posted here in order to gather statements of how certain Indian Hindus of the HinduDIR may feel about this travesty?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3674307 said:
I'm surprised this was posted in the HinduDIR. It has nothing to do with Hinduism. Or, was this posted here in order to gather statements of how certain Indian Hindus of the HinduDIR may feel about this travesty?
I presume this DIR affords a more peaceful discussion where there are differences.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
मैत्रावरुणिः;3674307 said:

Yes, that's why I posted it here, because I felt that certain Hindus who visit the Hindu DIR would miss it where it's currently posted, and they may like to know about it.

I couldn't give a toss one way or the other, as it doesn't affect me in the slightest (apart from the question of Dharma - which is also the reason for posting it here).

Om Namah Shivaya

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I presume this DIR affords a more peaceful discussion where there are differences.

Take it from me, Mr. Revoltingest. This DIR hasn't seen nor has had peaceful discussions in a very long time. ;)

Yes, that's why I posted it here, because I felt that certain Hindus who visit the Hindu DIR would miss it where it's currently posted, and they may like to know about it.

I couldn't give a toss one way or the other, as it doesn't affect me in the slightest (apart from the question of Dharma - which is also the reason for posting it here).

Om Namah Shivaya

Current Indic puritanism is just that - current. This draconian law, hailing from the time of the British Administration, fails to meet the secular tenets of the current nation of India. Furthermore, it fails in consistency with the enjoyment of sexual liberty that has been a trademark of Ancient Indian history, a liberty that overshadows, in terms of benevolence and openness, the current puritanical culture of modern-day India. I am greatly distressed by the actions the higher courts have undertaken when they reenacted such a law that ironically juxtaposes the independence India had fought for from an administration that implemented this law in the first place.

I pray for my LGBTQ brothers and sisters in India; and, I hope the best for their safety.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Back in 2009, Lesley Esteves was dancing in the streets after judges in Delhi decriminalised homosexuality. When the Delhi High Court suspended the draconian Section 377 of the Indian penal code which dated from the days of British rule ..
What Indian Supreme Court has said is very simple - and very correct - that courts cannot make the law - that is the Constitutional position. It has to be the Parliament which can make the law. Therefore, Dehi Court erred in de-criminalizing it. It had no jurisdiction for such a thing. Supreme Court asked the Central Government about its views if it would like to change the law. Unfortunately, we have an election coming up, and there were many important bills to be considered, so, the Central Government could not apply itself to make a change in the law, though it indicated that it is in favor of de-criminalizing it. The matter has been left to the next Government which will be in power by June 1st.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3674326 said:
Take it from me, Mr. Revoltingest. This DIR hasn't seen nor has had peaceful discussions in a very long time. ;)
I gather that from the DIR color change.
But at least here you keep out the non-Hindu rock tossers.
May this thread be friendly. (I'll leave the issues to you guys.)