• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay adoption is good for children

zookeeper

As an LDS person "Mormon" I wanted to step back in and specify as it has been said before...I don't doubt that a homosexual person could be an awesome parent. I hope those couples do provide homes for children in foster care who desperately need homes. For those children, who's chances of being adopted are slim, a loving-stable home would be a gift from God. Here's the objection, IMO, every child deserves both a loving mother and a father. It really is sad that fewer and fewer children are getting this. This opinion spreads over any single person wanting to have a child. So do you see why this is not an attack on homosexuals?

Smoke

Done here.
As an LDS person "Mormon" I wanted to step back in and specify as it has been said before...I don't doubt that a homosexual person could be an awesome parent. I hope those couples do provide homes for children in foster care who desperately need homes. For those children, who's chances of being adopted are slim, a loving-stable home would be a gift from God. Here's the objection, IMO, every child deserves both a loving mother and a father. It really is sad that fewer and fewer children are getting this. This opinion spreads over any single person wanting to have a child. So do you see why this is not an attack on homosexuals?
Do you not see how saying to same-sex couples that every child deserves "better" parents than them is an attack?

Smoke

Done here.
Saying, "I'm not attacking homosexuals, because I'm attacking everybody who doesn't conform to my idea of the ideal family" just doesn't wash.

zookeeper

As an LDS person "Mormon" I wanted to step back in and specify as it has been said before...I don't doubt that a homosexual person could be an awesome parent. I hope those couples do provide homes for children in foster care who desperately need homes. For those children, who's chances of being adopted are slim, a loving-stable home would be a gift from God. Here's the objection, IMO, every child deserves both a loving mother and father. It really is sad that fewer and fewer children are getting this. This opinion spreads over any single person wanting to have a child. So do you see why this is not an attack on homosexuals?

You don't have to agree with me. Just please don't try to put words in my mouth.

Smoke

Done here.
You don't have to agree with me. Just please don't try to put words in my mouth.
"Every child deserves both a loving mother and father." Therefore, children who have two mothers or two fathers are not getting what they deserve. If you're going to denigrate our families, at least have the decency to take responsibility for your statements.

zookeeper

"Every child deserves both a loving mother and father." Therefore, children who have two mothers or two fathers are not getting what they deserve. If you're going to denigrate our families, at least have the decency to take responsibility for your statements.
refer to post #319

w00t

Every child deserves caring parents whatever their sexuality!

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
As an LDS person "Mormon" I wanted to step back in and specify as it has been said before...I don't doubt that a homosexual person could be an awesome parent. I hope those couples do provide homes for children in foster care who desperately need homes. For those children, who's chances of being adopted are slim, a loving-stable home would be a gift from God. Here's the objection, IMO, every child deserves both a loving mother and a father. It really is sad that fewer and fewer children are getting this.
Well, I guess there's where we differ. I think every child deserves a loving family. People, including you, keep saying that a mom and a dad are better than two moms, but haven't provided much basis for this opinion.
This opinion spreads over any single person wanting to have a child.
I'm sorry, I don't know what this means, how it is relevant, or what it is doing here.
So do you see why this is not an attack on homosexuals?
The issue is not whether you're attacking homosexuals; the issue is whether or not you're correct. You're not. That's why all of the child welfare organizations disagree with you.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
As I said, zookeeper, I find it very odd for a Mormon to advocate for one mom and one dad, when God Himself told Joseph Smith that one dad and several moms are a better system.

tmaromine

I'm sorry to say that I haven't kept up with this thread through it's 39 pages (just found it minutes ago !), but I thought I'd add to the recentest of the discussion.

(Post 319 is considered here along with everything else I'll type.) If a child "deserves" one father and one mother, then there's many more children than those who are children of homosexual parents that aren't getting what they "deserve".

Forget having two dads or two mothers, some children have one parent ! Those single moms and single dads are really being spiteful, aren't they. Does your religion say anything about this, zookeeper ? A child having 'double' of a parent is better than having a single parent, eh?

Let's not even get into the children who are raised by only their grandparents. And what if there's only one living grandparent to raise that child ? Oh no. :cover:

And just to open us to your opinion zookeeper: could you explain how two opposite-sex parents are 'better'/correct than two of the same sex, and thus two same-sex parents are 'worse' and aren't what a child 'deserves' ? "My religion tells me so" isn't an opinion.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
PLEASE REFER TO QUOTE 344...STARFISH SAID IT WELL. As to the polygamy issue? Each child still had a mom and a dad.

Well, isn't it your position that system might now be quite as good as one mom and one dad, which would be preferred for every child when available, but if not, then one dad and several moms would be an acceptable substitute? Because surely you're not trying to claim that the experience of growing up in a polygamous family, in which you are sharing your dad (and his income) with 3 or 4 other sets of kids, each with their own mom, in their own house, is the same as living with your mom and dad full time? So which system is best for kids, polygamy, or monogamy?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
zoo: I don't think it's reasonable of you to expect other people to go poking back through the thread to exhume your previous posts. Please just make your point here. It's also not clear to whom you're responding; that's what the quote function is for. Basically, we don't know what you're saying, what you're saying it about, or to whom you're saying it.

zookeeper

Well, isn't it your position that system might now be quite as good as one mom and one dad, which would be preferred for every child when available, but if not, then one dad and several moms would be an acceptable substitute? Because surely you're not trying to claim that the experience of growing up in a polygamous family, in which you are sharing your dad (and his income) with 3 or 4 other sets of kids, each with their own mom, in their own house, is the same as living with your mom and dad full time? So which system is best for kids, polygamy, or monogamy?
My point is the importance of both a loving mother and a loving father in a child's life. I belief that is the ideal home for a child. As I have said before, I belief that the role of mother and father are both sacred and not interchangeable. Other loving and stable situations, single-parent homes or same-gender-parent homes etc, can be a wonderful blessing for a child who does not have the opportunity for the ideal.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
My point is the importance of both a loving mother and a loving father in a child's life. I belief that is the ideal home for a child. As I have said before, I belief that the role of mother and father are both sacred and not interchangeable. Other loving and stable situations, single-parent homes or same-gender-parent homes etc, can be a wonderful blessing for a child who does not have the opportunity for the ideal.

Great, now would you answer my question? Which family structure is better for children, monogamous or polygamous?

And, for the millionth time, you are wrong. Children in heterosexual homes do not do better than children in homosexual homes, and saying that they do would be dishonest. You wouldn't want to be dishonest, would you?

If heterosexual homes were better for children, wouldn't children do better in them?

As has pointed out, you have decided that one is ideal without knowing anything about the alternative. Don't you think that's an irresponsible basis on which to form an opinion, your prejudice, rather than the facts?

Mike182

Flaming Queer

ok, please describe the sacred and unchangeable role of a mother and of a father please.

also, sorry to nit pick on your English, but you either say i believe, or it's my belief, you don't say i belief.