• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gawd Works In Mysterious Ways...........

..........'cause he ain't there.

Recently in a town near here four teenagers in a car which belonged to one of their families was struck by a train. One of them, though severely injured lived. His grandmother sent an E Mail to all her addressees declaring that god had truly worked a miracle.

Question:

Where was god when the train was coming? Another question:

What had the other teen agers done to deserve an early death?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
..........'cause he ain't there.

Recently in a town near here four teenagers in a car which belonged to one of their families was struck by a train. One of them, though severely injured lived. His grandmother sent an E Mail to all her addressees declaring that god had truly worked a miracle.

Question:

People continually try to separate "God" from the event. I guess it helps them cope. But "God" is the event as well as the outcome. There is no good outcome, no bad outcome, it's just the natural evolution of living. I agree with and understand your questions, but I've learned to keep my big mouth shut at funerals.

People continually try to separate "God" from the event. I guess it helps them cope. But "God" is the event as well as the outcome. There is no good outcome, no bad outcome, it's just the natural evolution of living. I agree with and understand your questions, but I've learned to keep my big mouth shut at funerals.

Speaking of funerals. I'm 80 years old and I've attended no less than 100 Christian funerals. Not a one of them said anything about the deceased which even hinted at anything besides, passing through pearly gates, gone to be with the lord, at rest with the angels, etc. I guess they didn't read the new testament:

Matthew 7:

13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

22"Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' 23"And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
People are too quick and eager to place the onus on God to keep things running like a Swiss watch. The irony is that people cite free will, yet expect God to intervene. Not that free will had anything to do with the tragedy, the point is that people can't have it both ways... either God controls our lives or he doesn't.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Speaking of funerals. I'm 80 years old and I've
attended no less than 100 Christian funerals. Not a one of them said anything about the deceased which even hinted at anything besides, passing through pearly gates, gone to be with the lord, at rest with the angels, etc. I guess they didn't read the new testament:

Matthew 7:

13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

22"Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' 23"And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

I hear you. This is why I am writing my own eulogy. (I'm also putting it on a cd or flash drive to be played at my funeral because I know no one will deliver it like I want it read.)

I hear you. This is why I am writing my own eulogy. (I'm also putting it on a cd or flash drive to be played at my funeral because I know no one will deliver it like I want it read.)

I have also written mine. Cremation, no ceremonies and in it I state that I do not believe in ghosts...holy or otherwise.

Same here on the cremation. Don't want my kid's or grandkid's last memory of me be as a lump of dead meat (although I am sure I would make a fine looking corpse).

With me it's a couple of things:

1) I've always been a type A git 'er done type of guy

2) It might take them 100 years but the worms will finally get into everything in a grave.

Some folks won't consider cremation because they say there'll be no monument or anything to prove they were here but recently I attended a funeral where they buried the deceased's ashes in a stainless steel cylinder. There really are a lot more folks being cremated these days.

Last edited:
Question: Was god supposed to pick up the car and move it, or the train?

I think that since he/she/it let the train destroy the car and kill three of them he/she/it should have at least made a clean sweep. Why make the families of the three dead ones have guilt feelings or worse for years? Two of those killed were well known high school athletes and the other one was an A student.

Here's the truth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPOfurmrjxo

Last edited:

Gehennaite

I don't believe God alters physical events in reality. At the very most, I think it is possible for God to influence our consciousness, either directly or indirectly, and that is all.

The mind is apparently all that matters, which is stupid but nonetheless seems evident.