• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Future Civil Rights Arguments

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
What future civil rights arguments can you think of. And what implications could they have?

I think some future rights arguments would be, the right of incestual couples to marry, the right of beastiality marriages I think that marriage will become essentially pointless as it becomes applied to so many groups and is expanded to cover so many situations.

The civil rights of artificial intelligences. We might have to pay our vechilce for driving us to work. Or our computers for working for us.

The civil rights animals. Most probably would apply to dolphins and apes.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Marriage is the one issue that marginalizes privatization. I look forward to seeing the state relinquish its monopoly over what should be a personal institution. Civil unions could be drawn for any mutual relationship. If friends have such a close bond that they want to enjoy rights currently guaranteed to married couples (like visitation), be my guess.

Speciesm is a relevant topic of contention. I already base my position on abortion off of cognitive abilities.

The relevant discussions in far-future society will concern cloning, eugenics, and genetic splicing.

gnomon

Private property.

Eminent domain laws have expanded. RICO and asset forfeiture laws have expanded as well. Communications technology is bringing individual life closer together. I think all of this will lead to an increased debate in what constitutes privacy and property.

I think Gene has mentioned this elsewhere but you could throw intellectual property rights in there as well.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Marriage rights? Why would allowing more people to participate in an institution weaken it? It's not like the heterosexuals have kept it particularly pure or sacrosanct.

As far as animals or computers, I'd propose that "civil rights" should be seriously considered for anything with awareness; anything with the capacity to feel distress or suffering.

Smoke

Done here.
I think some future rights arguments would be, the right of incestual couples to marry, the right of beastiality marriages I think that marriage will become essentially pointless as it becomes applied to so many groups and is expanded to cover so many situations.
Non-humans don't enter into legal contracts like marriage. Thank you for implying that my marriage is equivalent to incest or bestiality, though.

If you think that allowing people of whom you don't approve to marry would render your own marriage pointless, you'd do better to stay single.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I think the next big things will be the legalities of prostitution, stem cell research, and cloning. I personally am in favor of the first two and only approve of the third to an extent in that I agree with cloning organs and limbs and things like that but do not agree with the idea of cloning an entire living being.

by the way, I get the feeling from your comments about marriage that this is a thinly veiled argument against legalizing homosexual marriage. No maybe I'm mistaken but that's what it seems like as your comments on marriage are commonly used in such a way. If I'm right then let me tell you that Personaly I find it in very poor taste that one would make thread that seems to be about one topic and is really just a way to vent about something else. I also feel it necessary to point out that the slippery slope argument that you(though again it may have been unintentional) and so many others love to use is a logical fallacy and therefore any argument that uses the slippery slope(anyone not just this one against homosexuality but any one) is invalid and a poor argument to make. Now of course my assumptions about what this thread seems to be could be completely off the mark and if that's the case I apologize in advance. I just felt these were things I should point out to you just in case.

Somkid

Artificial intelligences won't go anywhere as it is "artificial" however if we were to create robots kind of like in the movie "I robot" or like Mr. Data from Star Trek even the Cylons fromBattlestar Galactica we have to consider that there is a possibility that they may become self-aware and at that point they become sentient beings and have to have rights because if they are property we are dealing in slavery. Just some maybe not too far fetched sci-fi ideas. Remember when in Star Trek the original series they used the "instant food heaters" we now call them microwaves, how about the cards that stored data, look like floppy disks to me and they are already out dated, communicators yep, we call them cell or mobile phones so, the sky is the limit what we will come up with next.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Non-humans don't enter into legal contracts like marriage. Thank you for implying that my marriage is equivalent to incest or bestiality, though.

If you think that allowing people of whom you don't approve to marry would render your own marriage pointless, you'd do better to stay single.

I wasn't implying any thing. I was merely speculating on future rights movements. I was just thinking of how big the definition of marriage could be expanded. I'm sure you would agree that theres no logical reason why homosexuals should not be allowed to marry. So why not polygamists, incestuals or bestiality. They're people too. They love those they have relationships with. Should we deny them the right to express their love in a marriage relationship?

I also was saying that if the marriage contract was expanded so widely that it encompasses countless relationships, doesn't that kind of make it pointless to even have a marriage contract?

I'm not saying it should be like that, I'm just speculating.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I think the next big things will be the legalities of prostitution, stem cell research, and cloning. I personally am in favor of the first two and only approve of the third to an extent in that I agree with cloning organs and limbs and things like that but do not agree with the idea of cloning an entire living being.

I agree I think these will be important right arguments in the future. May I ask why you disagree with cloning people.

by the way, I get the feeling from your comments about marriage that this is a thinly veiled argument against legalizing homosexual marriage. No maybe I'm mistaken but that's what it seems like as your comments on marriage are commonly used in such a way. If I'm right then let me tell you that Personaly I find it in very poor taste that one would make thread that seems to be about one topic and is really just a way to vent about something else. I also feel it necessary to point out that the slippery slope argument that you(though again it may have been unintentional) and so many others love to use is a logical fallacy and therefore any argument that uses the slippery slope(anyone not just this one against homosexuality but any one) is invalid and a poor argument to make. Now of course my assumptions about what this thread seems to be could be completely off the mark and if that's the case I apologize in advance. I just felt these were things I should point out to you just in case.

I'm sorry if the way I worded it may seem like I'm arguing against homosexuality. That was not my intent at all. I have no problem with homosexuals having the right o marry. I was just speculating about the future. Since I think the next rights argument after homosexuals would be polygamists. Well if these other groups are allowed then why not incestuals or bestialities. Is not that I'm trying to equate those relationships I'm just saying that the same arguments for homosexuals and polygamists could also be used for incest and bestiality.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I agree I think these will be important right arguments in the future. May I ask why you disagree with cloning people.

Mainly because of the fact that when you clone something the DNA is the same age as that which you cloned. So unless we clone babies we'll have 10 and 15 year olds getting things like arthritis and alzeimer's. And even if do only clone babies the genes break down over time. It's just not beneficial and in fact is detrimental in the long run.

I'm sorry if the way I worded it may seem like I'm arguing against homosexuality. That was not my intent at all. I have no problem with homosexuals having the right o marry. I was just speculating about the future. Since I think the next rights argument after homosexuals would be polygamists. Well if these other groups are allowed then why not incestuals or bestialities. Is not that I'm trying to equate those relationships I'm just saying that the same arguments for homosexuals and polygamists could also be used for incest and bestiality.

ok, then. Well I'm not against polygamy personally so that for me isn't an issue if it becomes legal. As for incestual marriage that was actually quite common in the past and the result of such marriages are well known and easily seen. over a matter of just a couple generations the genes start to break down amnd you get all sorts of genetic disorders. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if all genetic disorders originally stemed from inbreeding. So we can readily see the consequences of these relationships. Now if two family members wish to have a plutonic marriage in order to adopt and raise children I have no problem with that. And Bestiality is unlikely because animals are unable to give consent to such unions.

jonny

I'm still crossing my fingers that people will start caring about the civil rights of those who are single or not married by choice. I want special rights, too.

Faminedynasty

Hopefully, in the future the American people will take up the cause of the civil rights movement, the very same one that was defeated and abandoned years ago. The one that the Dr. King fellow was involved in.
And I think that it is dependent upon the people coming to realize,as Dr. King did, that capitalism as it exists will never produce a just and equitable society.