• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fur?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Why humans lost their fur?

Did they ever have fur?
Since we have still goose bumps, i suppose we are, at least genetically, expected to still have fur.

Ciao

- viole

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I think it has something to do with our bodies ability to sweat and thermoregulate during the heat of the day, that allowed us to run long distances in an effort to persistence/endurance hunt. (ie you run an animal to exhaustion, before killing it).

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Some folks are still pretty furry.
furry-furry.png

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Did they ever have fur?
Of course. We are apes.

Likely we lost fur as we adopted clothes and the rest is history as already mentioned.

Admittedly I feel we would be a a lot cuter had we kept our coat of fur.

Reactions: syo

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Did they ever have fur?
It appears that most of our early evolution from the ape line mostly occurred in the low-grass savannas in the eastern horn region of Africa, and somewhere along the line we developed sweat glands, which is a mutation of oil glands under the skin that we still have for both purposes.

Therefore, the best way for cooling the body off was having very little hair. However, to protect the skin from harmful rays, dark skin would have to have become the norm.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Did they ever have fur?
There is some guessing involved, however anthropologists studying ancient fossils in layers of deposits try to find approximate dates for those fossils and try to determine the climate and environments they are in. Many believe that while every mutation is unlikely to benefit any creature, there occasionally is a mutation which is fortunate. Hair loss is both harmful and also beneficial. It protects skin, but it also holds in heat. They think that the hair loss mutation was beneficial because there happened to be a need for our bodies to cool quickly.

One theory I heard about in a documentary said that because of hair loss, humans could pursue furry carnivores for long distances, tiring them out and killing them. So for example humans, though they were weaker than lions, could hunt lions by making lions run until they were exhausted. Humans could stay cool much more easily, but the lions would overheat and become easy to kill. The documentary shows a demonstration of how modern hunters use the same trick.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Of course. We are apes.

Likely we lost fur as we adopted clothes and the rest is history as already mentioned.

Admittedly I feel we would be a a lot cuter had we kept our coat of fur.
Chimps, our closest cousins, aren't exactly furry.
Think what a matted, salty mess a furry, sweaty human would be after a dash across the hot, African savanna in pursuit of dinner.