• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fuel Efficiency

Pah

Uber all member
Complete article at ABC News

Are Government Fuel Efficiency Numbers Pumped Up?

Updated 7:55 AM ET November 5, 2005

A new Jeep Liberty Diesel gets 22 mpg in city driving, according to Environmental Protection Agency tests. That sounds like great news for drivers tired of high gas prices. But is it true?

"In the city we actually got 11 miles per gallon," said David Champion, who heads up Consumer Reports' auto testing facility.

Cars Fall Far Short of EPA Mileage Estimates in Test
With prices at the pump soaring, many new car buyers are looking more closely at fuel efficiency ratings.

Those stickers placed on new car windows tell buyers how many miles per gallon they can expect to get driving on stop-and-go city streets and on highways.

But when Consumer Reports tested more than 300 cars for an investigation on fuel economy, what it learned may shock you.

Champion said its mileage estimates were much lower than the EPA's - in some cases, half as much.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
This is not surprising, but if this really is happening, then I want to see people go to jail, I want people who own cars that get worse fuel efficiency than advertised refunded not only the cost of their vehicle, but also the difference in cost of gas, and I want whatever government officials that oversee the process to be fired or resign. At the very least, false advertising is a crime... but I think this would border on conspiracy and fraud.

I would like to say that my 2003 Toyota Corolla, averages around 36-42 mpg, scores very high on emissions three years after purchase and the only problem experienced was a breaking down of the heating system, but was easily fixed and covered under the basic 35,000 mile warrantee package.

I also think the government should be spending a ton of money encouraging people to buy hybrids, via public service announcements. I also think Fuel Efficiency Increases should be an important issue in the 2008 election.

FFH

Veteran Member
I saw this program last night as well on 20/20 and was shocked.

How could we be so stupid as to believe those numbers. Even the hybrid numbers were much lower than the actually posted numbers on the car.

My 87 Honda accord got about 30 mpg and still passed the strict emission tests of today. It was a California model which had much stricter emissions standards than a regular model. It was a great car till it died a few months ago. 180,000 miles plus. It passed Emissions up until the day it died. Amazing car.. Would have lasted longer had I not put cheap oil into it. I used that walmart cheapo stuff that they sell. Also it did not help that someone may have put sugar in my gas tank twice, I think.

When my car died a few monts ago I cancelled my car insurance and started riding a motorcycle. Gas prices were just starting to go up and I was tired of paying for gas and insurance and repairs on my car.

I only spend about 5-10 dollars on gas a month and my insurance bill is 70 dollars a year. I save so much money not owning a car now, it is rediculous. I would like to own a fully electric car some time soon in the future. Any suggestions ??????

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Pah said:
A new Jeep Liberty Diesel gets 22 mpg in city driving, according to Environmental Protection Agency tests. That sounds like great news for drivers tired of high gas prices. But is it true?

"In the city we actually got 11 miles per gallon," said David Champion, who heads up Consumer Reports' auto testing facility.
OK, I admit it. I am a sinner. If there is such a thing as UU sin, driving a big, gas-guzzling monstrosity is a sin (along with not buying fair-trade coffee and organically grown produce). When I bought my pickup almost ten years ago, the mileage on the sticker claimed to be 22 mpg highway and 17 mpg city. That wasn't nearly as good as the more fuel efficient vehicles that were getting over 36 mpg highway, but I was fulfilling a childhood fantasy of having a pickup truck, and I was determined to buy American. (No excuses. I am a sinner.) Anyway, my experience has been that the estimated mileage is far less than what I actually got. At 22 mpg, I should have been able to go well over 400 miles of highway driving on a full tank of gas. I could only ever go about 325. And I have tried everything to come closer to the estimated mileage, not speeding, not accelerating too much, avoiding sudden breaking... nothing got me anywhere near the estimated mileage. I don't even want to admit how bad the city mileage is. Basically, I walk or take public transportation whenever I can because the guilt caused by driving is too much. But I still need a car every now and then and can't afford to "upgrade." Had I known how bad the mileage would really be, I would have opted for something else.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I drive an astra diesel I would be shocked if I did not get at least 35mpg.
Big cars are flash and I don't need one.

Terry________________________ Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I thought it was general knowledge that the EPA mileage estimates were inaccurate, heck, even the EPA has long aknowleged that they're inaccurate.

The EPA does not test cars to arrive at their estimates. The estimates are generated entirely on paper by a 30 year old algorithm that, even 30 years ago was not accurate.

Actual real-world test results can be found in Consumer Reports, Road and Track, Car and Driver, &c.