• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From new age to christian to atheist

Araceli Cianna

I did previously identify as Christian on here, but I don't believe a God exists anymore and as an extension the supernatural and general spiritual stuff. But I'm open to the magic of life, after all, before we had science, a lot things were unexplainable to the ancients except as 'magic'... it is a weird wonderful universe we live in without having to make it religious or spiritual. Gravity, for example. Magic? Maybe. But scientific too.

That is my take. :)

Thumper

Thank the gods I'm an atheist
So you chose the red pill. Not always the easiest choice. I made that choice myself about 40 years ago and have found that the longer I have been an atheist, the more amazed I am that I ever believed in such stuff.

As Carl Sagan said "Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astounding universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy."

I did previously identify as Christian on here, but I don't believe a God exists anymore and as an extension the supernatural and general spiritual stuff. But I'm open to the magic of life, after all, before we had science, a lot things were unexplainable to the ancients except as 'magic'... it is a weird wonderful universe we live in without having to make it religious or spiritual. Gravity, for example. Magic? Maybe. But scientific too.

That is my take. :)
Hi Sheon. Your take seems quite reasonable to me. I used to be Christian to; I was born into a Christian family. I converted to Buddhism, but don't really believe in the "magical" aspects of Buddhism, things such as reincarnation. I do like the self-improvement aspect though. I think that in Christianity most people focus on the magic and largely ignore the self-improvement aspect and the same is the case in Buddhism.

Persons can practice self-improvement without belonging to a religion. Everyone needs to follow their own heart and believe in and be whatever makes sense to them.

Araceli Cianna

Thank you both, I'm definitely focused on self improvement, without having to spiritualise it. It is part of evolving I think :)

Lately I find myself having an interest in Norse mythology, but more from an archetypal view. The idea of any gods existing or the supernatural is pretty ridiculous, imo.

Excited to be taking this journey!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It seems to me that what is more magical and more inspiring on the axis of belief in the existence of deities is very much variable from one person to the next.

Some people clearly find it inspiring to believe that there is an "overseer" that meant for existence (and humanity) to exist.

But there is also inpiration and often hope in the opposite belief: that we were never "meant to be", yet we are not helpless in our search for safety, purpose and meaning, either.

Some people would despair with such a belief, I suppose. But then again, so would some (other?) people if they somehow knew for a fact that there is a deity yet it can't or won't make this world somewhat more logical and meaningful than it shows itself to be.

The aesthetical aspects of belief are often neglected, but they should not be.