• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From denomination to religion...

I have done reading this slightly dry book, called "The Unitarians and the Universalists" by David Robinson (which is American), and now I am currently reading "Unitarians in Canada" by Philip Hewett, which gives a background of Unitarianism and its changing identity in our country here.

I often wonder fascinatingly on how Unitarians have presented themselves, as well as with an evolving theology from creeded to creedless.

At some point in time, Unitarian Universalists have described this liberal faith tradition, especially prior to the 90's, as a 'denomination'. But nowadays, I see an increasing amount of people describing this liberal faith as a 'religion', something to be contrasted with other world religions.

I think it's a great thing; if it dared to call itself a denomination, let alone of Christianity, it would have had to deal with apologetics of why it claimed the name. The irony I find in this is that despite the obviously non-Christian system it had in the 60's already, the UUA still was trying to get itself into the World Council of Churches.

So do you call Unitarian Universalism a religion, or a denomination, or both, or neither, and why?

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
A lot comes down to who is asking and what understanding are they willing and able to muster at this point in their consideration of us. For folks who equate goodness with Christianity, and cannot fathom goodness outside of Christianity, then we are a denomination. For folks who are more clear minded, we are a religion.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
So do you call Unitarian Universalism a religion, or a denomination, or both, or neither, and why?
Both. As bicker points out, if we are a denomination, then that means we are Christian. And I don't identify as Christian. But otoh, I'm not anti-Christian either, and I recognize our roots, and also recognize that *behaviorally* we operate like a Protestant denomination.